Egress from 1-26

Old May 25th 16, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KAIO

Default Egress from 1-26

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 9:36:41 AM UTC-4, Vaughn Simon wrote:
On 5/24/2016 10:22 AM, KAIO wrote:
is is really possible, practicable, to egress a 1-26 in flight?

Well, I've flown them, but never bailed out of one. I don't see why a
properly motivated pilot would have any particular problems though. If
it were me in a badly damaged I-26, I would certainly want the option to
try! One thing in your favor, your airspeed is likely to be low
compared to almost any other glider.

On the other hand, there is a case of a pilot walking away from a 1-26
crash after losing a wing at altitude! I'm obviously happy that it
turned out well, but doubtless that fellow was wishing for a chute all
the way down.

NTSB Identification: MIA97LA211
Accident occurred Saturday, July 12, 1997 in EUSTIS, FL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/02/1998
Aircraft: Schweizer SGS-1-26B, registration: N9927J
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

That is an amazing story!
Old May 25th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Any pilot who flies 1-26s wearing parachutes?

Any pilot that flies in the 1-26 Championships and races wears a chute, and many others do also. I have flown in at least 10 Champs, (and they are a hoot!)

The biggest and most important thing is to have a PLAN ahead of time and mentally committed and motivated to leave the aircraft if need be. It is important to rehearse this at least mentally before flight just as you think through rope break options.

If you need to leave a 1-26 in flight I would open the canopy latch, so it does not bind, then pull the canopy pins and push the canopy away. Belts, then pull kick, push, ..... on anything you need to get out and pull the parachute handle. I have always imagined putting my hand under the instrument panel to give me a good pull if need be, then pushing with my legs. It does not matter what you break getting out, because once you make the decision to leave in flight, the glider belongs to the insurance company and you are fighting for your life.

From talking to others the key is to decide you need to get out and then do anything you need to to do so.

On Parachute choice, the back pack is probably the best, and the most common chute and also works well in other gliders if you fly something else.

Kevin Anderson
92
Old May 25th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

once i was flying a 1-34 (similar canopy set-up of course) and the canopy came open in flight. at a normal flying speed (~60 mph)it broke the lanyard, took the canopy all the way around next to the side of the glider and smashed the glass. the hinges remained intact, but in that instance i could have pulled them if i needed to get rid of the frame. My assessment is that you could totally bail out the other side of the glider if you opened the canopy. the wind is going to take it pretty good so that's nothing to worry about.

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:22:56 AM UTC-4, KAIO wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a parachute for using in a 1-26. I was not able to find any instance of bailout from a 1-26 in the NTSB database. is is really possible, practicable, to egress a 1-26 in flight? Can the 1-26 canopy be ejected?

I know that almost anyone who flies a 1-26 does so without wearing a parachute, so I don't want to discuss the relative merits of having one available (I obviously think wearing a parachute is always a good idea). Just who practical is it.

Any pilot who flies 1-26s wearing parachutes?

Thanks!!!!

Old May 27th 16, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does anyone know where to find the results of the Roger tests? I seem to recall they found that, lacking the Roger hook that was a result of the tests that with a side hinged canopy the best technique was to open it normally rather than try to jettison it by releasing both sides. I've seen three instances of side hinged canopies opening inadvertently in flight. Two times the restraining lanyard broke but the canopy stayed attached by the hinges and suffered some degree of damage. On the Twin Acro rear canopy the thin lanyard stayed intact, the eyebolt that attached it to the canopy stayed attached to the frame, the hinges stayed intact but the frame itself fractured and flew clear of the glider along with the canopy leaving only the section containing the hinge mounts and about a foot of the rear vertical part of the frame attached. None of those incidents led t the canopy acting in a way that would hinder emergency egress really.

I've flown 1-26's twice, wearing a chute both times. Never had to bail out though!