I need a story for a television show.

Old March 13th 04, 03:00 AM
Steve

I vote for the Whorehouse story line !

"John Shelton" wrote in message
link.net...
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have been contacted by a television production company creating a series
on adventure sports. They were very impressed with the crappy media I gave
them about soaring and would like to include an "expedition" if we can

meet
their parameters.

It is Friday afternoon and I have until Monday to come up with something.

So, put on your thinking hats: Do you know of an expedition (they call it)
conducted with a sailplane that went wrong and resulted in a survival
situation? It will be re-enacted. I have the actors. I have the

sailplanes.
I will get the camera ship.

I need the story.

This will not be someone losing their yaw string and having to hitchhike

a dress shop. It will not be JJ landing at a whorehouse with no money on
him. We are talking SURVIVAL. They will probably want to shoot in the US

but
I did not ask if the story had to be an American story.

I wish I was getting paid but I am not. On the other hand, the actors

will.

So either come up with an adventure or go out this weekend, land out in a
frozen wasteland, survive by eating your parachute, hike out to
civilization, loose two fingers to frostbite and come home a wiser man or
woman. (Do women get wiser or is that just they are?)

Thank you. And be quick.

Old March 13th 04, 03:28 AM
Reuben

John,

How about a ground crew that makes a wrong turn, have a flat, realize
they left the jack at home, find that the spare is flat, drink all
their water, nearly die of dehydration before they realize that there
is beer in the cooler and then dump out all the ice to make shade out
the cooler (because they are hot), only to be rescued by a hermit
miner who feeds them donkey jerky for weeks, before they get the
courage to hike out with their rescue coming on highway 395 with the
realization that they were lost on the other side of Randsburg, CA.

Reuben

"John Shelton" wrote in message hlink.net...
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have been contacted by a television production company creating a series
on adventure sports. They were very impressed with the crappy media I gave
them about soaring and would like to include an "expedition" if we can meet
their parameters.

It is Friday afternoon and I have until Monday to come up with something.

So, put on your thinking hats: Do you know of an expedition (they call it)
conducted with a sailplane that went wrong and resulted in a survival
situation? It will be re-enacted. I have the actors. I have the sailplanes.
I will get the camera ship.

I need the story.

This will not be someone losing their yaw string and having to hitchhike to

Old March 13th 04, 04:19 AM
Liam Finley

How about the PW-5 pilot who landed out and was raped by a bull?
Old March 13th 04, 09:07 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Liam Finley wrote:
How about the PW-5 pilot who landed out and was raped by a bull?

Dang, John, how about convincing them to make it
a comedy instead? Topless gal passenger in the front during sightseeing,
mile high glider club (kinda bumpy), the ol' towpilot who
makes off with the wives 'cause he can always "get it up,"
geeky dorkboy with the latest gadgets, the crowd of old
farts watching the launches and telling about how they used to
fly 500km in a 1-26 in a snowstorm both ways uphill...
then leaning over to adjust the cholostemy bag...
Guy tries to auto-launch using a motorcycle...

More gags than I Love Lucy...

The comedy would be 1000% better than some stupid, unrealistic
tale of some loner sailpilot caught in the middle of nowhere...

Sorry to rain on that parade, but "Dances with Wolves" was
a boner, loner, boring film...if he flew a glider it
wouldn't have saved it...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 13th 04, 01:47 PM
Bob Johnson

Joe Lincon's walkout. He's already written the script. In the annals of
Soaring Magazine.

Good luck with your project --

BJ

Old March 13th 04, 02:41 PM
John Shelton

I'm the guy I referred to that had to hike in to a dress shop. I did not
mention that while there, I tried on a nice little taffeta number that would
have gone perfect with a bag I had at home.

"BMacLean" wrote in message
I don't like Diet Pepsi but managed to get through it so I thought I was
very brave in a tough situation.

"John Shelton" wrote in message
link.net...
Was there a guy on the front porch playing a banjo?

If so, you were in the wrong story.

"BMacLean" wrote in message
I landed at a residential airstrip once and asked for a Diet Coke but

all
they had was Diet Pepsi.

WA light (aka 18)

Old March 13th 04, 03:04 PM
wsburhen

Seriously- what about the guy (retired airline pilot, i think) flying
his daughter's 1-26 in florida that went into the bottom of a cu-nim,
and then after a few fairly violent "technical difficulties" fell out
the bottom minus a wing, and survived...........and he wasn't wearing
a chute. the glider w/passenger at this point dropped into some
dense/tall trees, then brush, and the guy walked away. It was in
"soaring" in the mid '90's, and told in two parellel narratives, one
from the paniced tow pilot who saw one wing drop out of the cloud into
a lake on a golf course, and the other from the pilot "riding" the
rest of the 1-26 to the ground. One of the most amazing (good)
accident outcomes.
Old March 13th 04, 05:26 PM
John W

My memory is fuzzy but ... there was a story in a John Joss(?) book
called _Soar America_ (?) from the days of free distance tasks. Some
pilot in a comp near Chicago (?) got caught up in the leading edge of
a front or squall line and got swept along for some sort of record (?)
distance to a rainy landing in some unknown place, eventually
determined to be Indiana or Ohio (?). The distance he flew was the
result of survival decisions. Perhaps something like that could be
folded into a Wild West story.

John Joss had that excellent wild west soaring adventure book, _Sierra
Sierra_ , about a record distance flight from Seattle to Death Valley.
The moment I read it I thought it'd be a good movie. It sure had a
Top Gun feel to it. I saw this book for sale at Soar Minden in 2001.

I also recall some of the Joseph Lincoln writings, for example,
_Soaring for Diamonds_, having an exotic feel, like the record/badge
attempts around the Big Bend of Texas.

Good Luck,
John

Old March 13th 04, 06:04 PM
Tim Ward

[...]

How about a 500 km triangle race somewhere in the great basin (Tonopah?)
between a 4WD vehicle and a sailplane?
Put the turnpoints somewhere fairly remote.
The camera on the 4WD lets the viewers see the ruggedness of the terrain up
close.
On a booming day, though, it's going to look too easy in the sailplane.

Tim Ward

Old March 13th 04, 07:50 PM
BTIZ

wasn't there a story a few years back.. same idea.. the glider pilot
launched in the Ohio area in front of a fast moving storm and landed near
Cape Cod Mass.. he was going for distance... he got it.. and with no crew it
was time to rent a large Uhaul truck and fabricate a cradle to hold the
wings and fuselage to get it back home.

Not really a land out survival issue, but some technical issues to resolve

BT

om...