Best Oxygen Setup?

Old October 4th 19, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Default Best Oxygen Setup?

Things have changed since you have been diving. Not about the toxicity of O2 at depth (I think at pressures above 2 atmosphere (below 10m)) but the use of pure Ox in diving.

These days there are mixed gas rebreathers. They work by mixing the breathing gas in the system in real time,and removing the co2 fully self contained. So diving with no bubbles. They use high pressure pure Ox to feed the system. Often 3 or 4k psi in small spherical tanks. As you can imagine this is not cheap, and quite technical. Google Mixed Gas Rebreathers if interested.
Old October 4th 19, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 09:09 04 October 2019, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le jeudi 3 octobre 2019 22:30:05 UTC+2, Jonathon May a

=C3=A9crit=C2=A0:
At 18:22 03 October 2019, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jonathon May wrote on 10/3/2019 9:55 AM:
=20
I have been using a Dive type cylinder because they are

easier=20
get re filled.
Last Saturday I was flying with the bottle on but the

regulator=20
off
above a ridge trying to connect to the wave system.
About 1 hour in and 2700ft asl there was a loud pop and

bottle
pressure O2 started blowing into the cockpit .
I could not turn the bottle off so I opened the DV window

put a
Pan call out and got it back on the glider field in about 3=20

minuets .
I have never been so scared ,and I have loads of field

landings=20
and
thousands of hours in gliders.

I had a similar experience thus summer - the connector on the MH

regulator
=
obviously had worn out over the about 20 years of use and

decided to let
go=
the connecting hose to the EDS unit.
I can't reach the cylinder inflight without an immense effort of

wiggling
m=
yself, and as I was close to the rocks trying to get the first climb

of
the=
day, I just kept on flying. The oxygene pressure on the outlet of

the
regu=
lator is 2 bars or less, so it can't do any harm.

That seems reasonable,I had 200Bar bottle pressure.

Old October 4th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le vendredi 4 octobre 2019 14:45:05 UTC+2, Jonathon May a écritÂ*:
That seems reasonable,I had 200Bar bottle pressure.

That's what I figured. Freeflowing oxygene at 200 bars is no place to be. It would spontaneously combust any grease in its reach.

Old October 4th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McLaughlin

That's what I figured. Freeflowing oxygene at 200 bars is no place to be.
I=
t would spontaneously combust any grease in its reach.

With the cocktail of O2, batteries, petrol, dodgy wiring (often made worse

by engine vibration) it does seem slightly surprising that no glider has
exploded. So far.

Old October 4th 19, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 8:16:46 AM UTC-7, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le vendredi 4 octobre 2019 14:45:05 UTC+2, Jonathon May a écritÂ*:
That seems reasonable,I had 200Bar bottle pressure.

That's what I figured. Freeflowing oxygene at 200 bars is no place to be. It would spontaneously combust any grease in its reach.

Oxygen enhanced air is regularly used in diving to reduce issues with nitrogen saturation. It's often called Nitrox. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrox

Same issues apply with oxygen toxicity, etc. but oxygen enhanced air allows for increased numbers of dives during many recreational dive situations. Oxygen percentage is typically bumped up to 32% or 36% and all modern dive computers have the ability to factor this into dive profiles.

So yes, most dive shops do have oxygen on site. I haven't used a dive shop for an O2 fill, but I to take bottles to the shop to get them hydro tested.

Cheers,
Craig
Old October 4th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 10/4/19 11:17 AM, John McLaughlin wrote:
That's what I figured. Freeflowing oxygene at 200 bars is no place to be.
I=
t would spontaneously combust any grease in its reach.

With the cocktail of O2, batteries, petrol, dodgy wiring (often made worse

by engine vibration) it does seem slightly surprising that no glider has
exploded. So far.

Many years ago, Soaring had a picture of a Ka-6 that was severely
damaged in an O2 filling accident.
Old October 5th 19, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The local dive shop here has a nice cascade of 5 pilot's breathing O2 tanks, but they won't fill a pilot's cylinder because it looks too much like a medical o2 which requires a whole set of other paperwork.

The welding shop where he gets his tanks from is happy to rent a similar O2 tank to transfill from. Go figure.

Old October 5th 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Very cool!

--
Dan, 5J

LXNav V7 Setup svelusive Soaring 9 February 22nd 15 04:29 PM
A-37 Dragonfly smoke setup Glenn[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 December 27th 12 03:00 AM
Vario setup brianDG303 Soaring 1 April 3rd 08 05:20 PM
FS 2004 setup Dave Hetteen Simulators 4 June 25th 04 10:40 PM
WX Works setup Paul Tomblin Piloting 16 December 8th 03 04:23 AM