Video of winch launching at Karl Striediecks Eagle Field...

Old October 24th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Video of winch launching at Karl Striediecks Eagle Field...

On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
https://vimeo.com/51897500

We're using 3,100' of rope now (4,100" potential), which yields 1,300' no wind and 1,500' with some wind. This is more than enough for pilot/driver training. If the pilot spoilers down immediately after release and lands "backwards" we can get six minute turnarounds.

Interestly enough (to me) is that the heavier Duo ends up with more altitude than the single seaters. Not sure of the physics on this.

The 20 second vario averager reads about 25 knots on the climb.

We're calling off airspeeds as we gain more proficiency, as there is a lot of "Kentucky windage" in how much throttle to use. Veteran drivers have a better sense for this as they combine engine noise, rpm, line sag, angle up, etc. We're not there yet and hope to have a line tension transmitter based on model R/C telemetry operational this winter. ( A John Good project.)

Old October 24th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auxvache

On Oct 22, 11:16*pm, "Sean F (F2)" wrote:
https://vimeo.com/51897500

Great video--thanks, Sean and Karl.
When can we expect the sequel: "Leigh Gets His A36 Off Karl's
Mountain?"
(Or was the winch involved there, too?)

5E
Old October 24th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sean, that video is chicken soup for the aviators soul right there! GREAT job splicing it all together.

Karl, that is one sweet setup you've got. Makes me want to call in sick tomorrow and assemble some glider wings!

Hey, where's that Doctor Ed Kilbourne sang about? I need a Doctor's note!

See ya at Cloudbase,
Scott
Old October 24th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You know, when looking at Eagle Field on Google Earth,it seems the landscaper may have have too many Yuenglings before cutting some of that lawn . I flew over Karl's place last Sunday and can attest to the beauty of the entire region, especially at this time of the year. Ridge, thermals, wave and autumn color -hard to beat.
Old October 24th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock[_2_]

At 03:16 23 October 2012, Sean F F2 wrote:
https://vimeo.com/51897500

Interesting technique with the tail wheel still on the ground and the
mainwheel a foot off it on take off!

Old October 24th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
https://vimeo.com/51897500

I was wondering how many folks would note the haphazard mowing, and the explantion is I was after the obnoxious, invasive autumn olive and multifloral rose with the Bush Hog - easier than walking around with a backpack sprayer full of Roundup. And the spray doesn't do anything to autumn olive anyway..

Karl
Old October 25th 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

All,

You are very welcome. We hade a great time doing this project and of course being on hand to witness it. I was a bit nervous before my rides. Alot like how I feel before getting on the latest crazy ride at Cedar Point. My wife was kind enough to buy me a new iMac with iMovie and it is really easy to edit and try things compared to PowerDirector 10 or Windows Movie Maker on PC. It took us about 4 hours not including the import of the video which took another 40 minutes. It was a lot of fun.

I still have a ton of video from race day 1, 2 and 3 of the recently completed R4N contest. I had two cameras running for the entire flight each day. Some INCREDIBLE footage. I'll get to it in the next few weeks.

Best,

Sean
F2
Old October 25th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:48:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:

We hope to use it for future winch launch training, ground launch sign offs and driver
training at Mifflin County Airport.

Does this mean you expect to be able to winch-launch again in the near future from Mifflin?
(That would be very nice!)
Old October 26th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
https://vimeo.com/51897500

Winch launches were suspended at Mifflin due to a previous operator conducting unsafe and runway monopolizing operations. We are working with the FAA, Pa Bur.Av. and the Mifflin authority to establish procedures for occasional winch activity such as ground launch sign off courses or fam rides on no contest days. Maybe six days a year.

Karl
Old October 26th 12, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:48:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:33:28 AM UTC-4, wrote: Karl, please detail the winch. On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:16:55 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote: https://vimeo.com/51897500 The winch was surplus from the Canadian Air Cadet program and was built by the military about 30 years ago. Originally equipped with steel wire, it now has 3/16th Spectra rope. The engine, a 330 HP, 350 cid Corvette powerplant, was installed about 10 years ago. Being built by the military it is "hell for stout" and shows no signs of fatique. Other than a new exhaust system and a paint job the winch was combat ready when we got it. Over the Labor Day weekend we were fortunate to have Uli Neuman and his son Philip travel to Eagle Field to get us started in safe and proper winch operation. Uli knows winches! He learned to fly off them in Germany and has used his engineering prowess to extensively rebuild the unit they use in Spartenburg, SC. He and John Good are currently developing an inline tension guage that will transmit force signals to the winch driver. We hope to use it for future winch launch training, ground launch sign offs and driver training at Mifflin County Airport.

Karl - thanks for the flowers! :-) One correction, though: The tension logging device is being developed and refined by Don Haselwood in FL. He put the system together and wrote the code for the logging software. I was only involved as far as the mechanics and packaging of the devices went and I am using the POD, as we dubbed it, with our winch in Spartanburg, SC. We have logged a number of launches by now and have recovered the data (line tension and GPS data) from them. We plan on publishing the findings and what we think we can learn from the data in the near future.
Uli
'Winchmeister'

SAFE Winch Launching Derek Copeland[_2_] Soaring 185 August 2nd 17 07:12 PM
winch launching a 17 m shk shkdriver Soaring 3 December 10th 10 02:33 AM
Winch Launching in US john hawkins Soaring 11 June 10th 09 12:18 PM
Winch Launching Rolf Soaring 27 January 7th 09 02:48 AM
Ka8b winch launching Jimmie L. Coulthard Soaring 11 September 9th 08 08:38 AM