Condolences to the Russians - Suicide bombers kill 37 in MoscowSubways

Old March 29th 10, 05:02 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
David E. Powell

Default Condolences to the Russians - Suicide bombers kill 37 in MoscowSubways

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879...ope/?GT1=43001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

My best goes out to the Russians today. The common threat of terrorism
has hit them again.
Old March 29th 10, 05:16 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Jack Linthicum

On Mar 29, 12:02*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879...ope/?GT1=43001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

My best goes out to the Russians today. The common threat of terrorism
has hit them again.

The headquarters of the Federal Security Service, ex KGB, is above the
subway station (Lubyanka) in question.
Old March 29th 10, 06:56 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Mr.Smartypants[_2_]

On Mar 29, 10:02*am, "David E. Powell"
wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879...ope/?GT1=43001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

My best goes out to the Russians today. The common threat of terrorism
has hit them again.

Oh? The CIA and Mossad operate in Russia too?
Old March 29th 10, 10:08 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
MajorOz

wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879...ope/?GT1=43001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36077879/ns/world_news-europe/?GT1=43001

My best goes out to the Russians today. The common threat of terrorism
has hit them again.

Oh? The CIA and Mossad operate in Russia too?

....always have...

cheers

oz
Old March 30th 10, 12:23 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Andrew Chaplin

Arved Sandstrom wrote in

Ray OHara wrote:

the KGB routinely made monkey's uncles out of the western intel
agencies. as for the bombers, its the legasy of the Russians taking
over others countries.

KGB success in _obtaining_ intelligence, such as it was, depended
entirely on the willingness of useful traitors. First they were
ideological traitors, then, as people wised up, they became traitors
for money. But the KGB otherwise didn't exactly do anything "better"
than anyone else...they had some real buffoons as agent runners from
time to time. And I said "such as it was" because it transpires that
the ultimate recipient of all this hard-won intelligence, the Soviet
command structure, wasn't very good at interpreting it.

As for Soviet counterintelligence, and the difficulties that caused
Western agencies trying to operate in the fUSSR, well, that's simply
what happens when running a police state. Western counterintelligence
had to be considerably more sophisticated, and was.

An ambitious Soviet attach made several truly inept runs at my father in
the late 70s. His target likely was not my father (the senior researcher
in the history directorate of DG Exec Sec) but us three kids who were
then starting our careers in the CF. The KGB did not send their "A" team
to Ottawa.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old March 30th 10, 12:54 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
dott.Piergiorgio

Jack Linthicum ha scritto:

The headquarters of the Federal Security Service, ex KGB, is above the
subway station (Lubyanka) in question.

In your opinion, this "under their noses" attack is defiance or warning ?

And, in the second case, warning about what ? let's remember that the
least guarded (relatively) nuke warheads components/blueprints are that
of fUSSr...

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
Old March 30th 10, 01:01 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
dott.Piergiorgio

William Black ha scritto:

Looking back over the years the USSR had a huge number of good spies,
both 'walk ins' and professional 'illegals'.

Their 'illegals' seem to have been very highly trained and difficult to
catch, and that's just the ones we (and others) caught...

mh.... what is the meaning of "illegals" here ? I known very well about
eastern EU immigrant workers, and I'm pretty sure that placing a very
trained operative in the household of Italian politicos is easy, if one
thinks a bit on this....

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
Old March 30th 10, 01:01 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Jim Wilkins

On Mar 29, 12:16pm, Jack Linthicum

The headquarters of the Federal Security Service, ex KGB, is above the
subway station (Lubyanka) in question.

Does the still operate the notorious
prison there as well?

jsw
Old March 30th 10, 01:05 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
William Black[_1_]

dott.Piergiorgio wrote:
William Black ha scritto:

Looking back over the years the USSR had a huge number of good spies,
both 'walk ins' and professional 'illegals'.

Their 'illegals' seem to have been very highly trained and difficult
to catch, and that's just the ones we (and others) caught...

mh.... what is the meaning of "illegals" here ?

Intelligence officers of one country inserted into another country using
false papers and expected to stay there for an extended period.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old March 30th 10, 01:07 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Jim Wilkins

On Mar 30, 8:01*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:16špm, Jack Linthicum

The headquarters of the Federal Security Service, ex KGB, is above the
subway station (Lubyanka) in question.

Does the æÅÄÅÒÁÌØÎÁÑ ÓÌÕÖÂÁ ÂÅÚÏÐÁÓÎÏÓÔÉ still operate the notorious
prison there as well?

jsw

That didn't come out right. FSB, Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti.

jsw