Oudie gear warning?

Old April 7th 20, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe

Default Oudie gear warning?

Hey all - I just acquired an original Oudie and I have noticed a gear warning in the profile setup. Not mentioned in the manual and the previous 2 owners do not know about it. I have not noticed it trying to get my attention in the pattern either. I will ask Naviter next unless youze can fill me in.

Old April 7th 20, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Be very careful with gear warnings that are integrated into a navigation suite. I have an S80. My behavior during approach to landings is to turn down the volume on my nav systems when entering the pattern to concentrate on my scans and listening to the radio. Turns out the volume for the gear warning gets shut down also.
Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

Old April 7th 20, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."

Since there are already assorted honks, beeps, squeals and garbled radio noises in the cockpit, I decided that one more (especially one that you probably don't hear very often) might be ignored. So, instead of another annoying warning horn, I installed a pair of flashing red/blue LED lights in the panel (along with a test switch). These are the only lights in the panel, so they definitely attract attention, and cannot be mistaken for anything else.

Also, I have seen some landing gear switches that are placed incorrectly. The are on the gear lever/actuating mechanism in such a position that they indicate "Gear Down" when the lever is merely out of the "Up and Locked" position. You want them to ONLY indicate "Down and Locked" when the gear is ACTUALLY IN the down and locked position.

Don't join the club. Initiation fees are expensive.

Old April 7th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Instead of a buzzer, ringing tone or lights, Voice chips are cheap now. My next upgrade will be, in a sexy voice, "check your gear"!

CH
Old April 7th 20, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Last fall after updating my Oudie, I started getting the Aural Gear warning.
I like it, anything the Oudie says to me is important so I tend to listen to it.
It would be great if they could put in a Raise Your Gear warning, as one who has landed gear up and flew around all day with the gear down.
If there is a way to screw it up it seems I've done it.
Nick
Old April 7th 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

It would be great if they could put in a Raise Your Gear warning, as one who has landed gear up and flew around all day with the gear down.

It's there Nick. I'm not sure what triggers it but I get the same "Check Gear" aural and banner warning after release and sometimes late in the tow.

Of course, I've never needed it to remind me to pull up my gear - yeah - right.

Lou

Old April 7th 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have installed the Tassman audio gear warning system.
You record your own voice.
So..if I extend the spoilers without the gear lowered my voice says, "put the gear down stupid, push the lever forward."

My second glider has this message, "put the gear down stupid, pull the lever back."

No problems with landings since.

Old April 7th 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My Stemme has LEDs to indicate gear position.Â* Two green lights indicate
BOTH main gear are down.Â* No lights indicate that BOTH main gear are
up.Â* During retraction, the unlocked gear shows a FLASHING red light,
while the locked down gear continues to show green.Â* When the second
gear unlocks to retract, its light flashes RED.

Any time the dive brakes are extended and BOTH gear are NOT down and
locked, both gear lights flash alternately red and a very obnoxious horn
sounds.Â* It cannot be silenced until the dive brakes are closed and
locked or the gear are BOTH down and locked.

It's hard to miss the signals.Â* I take pride in never hearing the gear
horn because I lower the gear on downwind and set the flaps for the
current winds BEFORE opening the dive brakes.

I suppose that if I was very low and out of energy and stretching my
glide to reach the runway, I could theoretically miss lowering the gear
and, without opening the dive brakes not get a warning.Â* But my Air
Force training is pretty strong and I (almost) always reach the IP with
excess altitude.Â* Another reason why I don't fly contests.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 7th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That should be simple to accomplish if you can get the software
maintainers on board.

Old April 7th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Lou
I'll watch for that " Raise your Gear" the next time I fly.
I updated my Oudie last week so hopefully its in there.
Do I need to check any box in the settings to activate this feature that you know of?
Nick

Cessna 172 gear warning Paul Kassel Owning 0 March 27th 17 04:29 PM
Gear Warning Gadget Guy Soaring 118 November 30th 05 11:43 PM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 11 November 22nd 05 04:27 AM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 0 November 18th 05 09:22 PM
gear warning plus K.P. Termaat Soaring 0 September 8th 03 08:33 AM