OT-Killing Pop-ups as a webmaster

Old November 16th 03, 02:24 AM
Jay Honeck

Default OT-Killing Pop-ups as a webmaster

I changed some of the metafiles (or "meta tags") in my website this
afternoon, emphasizing "hotels" more. I did this in an effort to get search
engines to "see" our site more clearly, and (hopefully) move us up a few
notches in the "results".

Well, something worked. Within an hour I had acquired a "pop-up" ad that
now shows up every time I open my website. (I assume you ALL see this,
right?) It appears to be "keying" on the "hotels" meta tag? (See it -- and
hopefully our site -- at www.AlexisParkInn.com )

As most of you know, I'm learning HTML on the fly here -- so excuse the
potentially dumb question, but: Is there anything I can do from the
webmaster's side to eliminate this kind of "pop-up parasite"?

Thanks in advance...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 03, 02:46 AM
John T

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Well, something worked. Within an hour I had acquired a "pop-up" ad
that now shows up every time I open my website. (I assume you ALL
see this, right?) It appears to be "keying" on the "hotels" meta tag?
(See it -- and hopefully our site -- at www.AlexisParkInn.com )

No, Jay, I think you need to disable your Gator. FWIW, I don't get any
pop-ups when viewing your site.

Gator is a spyware app that will display pop-up ads based on the content
you're viewing. It's insidious stuff and needs to be killed as quickly as
possible, in my not so humble opinion. It's not the only one of its kind,
but it is one of the most prevalent.

Here's a site with links to a few spyware removal tools:
http://www.spyware-removal-tools.com/

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 16th 03, 03:14 AM
Jay Honeck

No, Jay, I think you need to disable your Gator. FWIW, I don't get
any
pop-ups when viewing your site.

Well, it seems that some adware was actually disabling Internet Explorer.
When it crashed (right after bringing up the stupid pop-up ad), Microsoft
sent me to the Pest Patrol website.

I downloaded their software, and it found 49 examples of adware and spyware
on my computer! I deleted them all, and we'll see if things stabilize. The
pop-up ad that was appearing when I opened my website is gone, at least.

Sorry for the false alarm -- the problem was obviously on the "user" end.

Thanks anyway!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 03, 04:18 AM
john smith

Well, it seems that some adware was actually disabling Internet Explorer.
When it crashed (right after bringing up the stupid pop-up ad), Microsoft
sent me to the Pest Patrol website.
I downloaded their software, and it found 49 examples of adware and spyware
on my computer! I deleted them all, and we'll see if things stabilize. The
pop-up ad that was appearing when I opened my website is gone, at least.

Now, can someone tell me how to disable whatever it is that wants to
load Microsoft Internet Explorer when I click on a URL? I don't want
Internet Explorer on my machines.
Old November 16th 03, 06:08 AM
BTIZ

more OT..

Jay.. I am also learning HTML and MS FrontPage...

which "Theme/Style" did you use to create the left menu with the hover
button added... or was it some other java script you picked up and
inserted.. also there seems to be a rather large "table" at the bottom of
the main page.. you can see it in the source code.. but it does not display
on the web..

BTW.. I did not get the "pop up", but I have most pop ups disabled via
Norton and MS IE. I tend to only get the MS Popups now..

Bill T

Old November 16th 03, 06:39 AM
Peter Gottlieb

I have had good luck with Proxomitron for blocking pop-ups. If I had to
live with pop-ups all the time I would probably end up hardly using the net.
There are other good blockers out there also.

Please, please, PLEASE do *NOT* use his page as an example of how to code
HTML. It is a total mess internally. The "table" you are referring to is a
long string of erroneous closing tags for tables and table elements that
aren't open. It's lucky this page displays at all.

When you make a web page it should pass validation. Here's one to try:
http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_validate.asp . Pages that validate
properly stand a much better chance of working on different platforms (PC,
Mac, Linux) with different browsers (IE, NS, Opera, etc). Any sites I make,
or have made for me, must validate.

Peter

Old November 16th 03, 09:25 AM
Jeff

what do you want on your machine?
nutscrape ?
just tell nutscrape to be the default browser in its preferences.

Old November 16th 03, 09:29 AM
Jeff

Been doing this since 1997, I dont bother with that validate stuff, I dont think
its very accurate.
I just check pages with different browsers and if they load fine I am happy.

Old November 16th 03, 11:51 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:14:25 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Sorry for the false alarm -- the problem was obviously on the "user" end.

http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/
is also a good (and free) removal tool.

#m
--
http://www.declareyourself.com/fyr_candidates.php
http://www.subterrane.com/bush.shtml
Old November 16th 03, 11:54 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:18:30 GMT, john smith wrote:

Now, can someone tell me how to disable whatever it is that wants to
load Microsoft Internet Explorer when I click on a URL? I don't want
Internet Explorer on my machines.

check http://www.litepc.com/
- http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

#m