Eating in New Jersey

Old September 28th 04, 06:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Default Eating in New Jersey

A couple months ago, someone requested advice on airports in New Jersey with
restaurants. That particular flight has been made, but last month the State published
some information about it. It's taken me this long to type it all in, but here 'tis.

*New Jersey Airports with Food*

*Blairstown* -- The Runway Café (908-362-9170) offers a clear view of the runways
(sic) and aircraft taking off and landing on clear weekend days. The menu is basic
American breakfast and lunch, with inexpensive food and an aiplane stamp on the
pancakes. Open daily 7am to 6pm.

*Central Jersey Regional* -- A short walk down the driveway from Central Jersey
Regional is the popular Pizza 'n Pasta Restaurant (908-725-5522) at 930 South Main
Street, Manville. The menu features a wide selection of pizzas baked in a
wood-burning oven, plus a wide variety of other Italian favorites. If you go the
other direction on South Main Street, you can find dozens of other restaurants and
fast food services. (actually, they mean to head further into town, not "the other
direction". GRP).

*Cross Keys* -- The Cutaway (856-629-7553) is a restaurant located at the jump
school. It is open weekends only and features Italian food.

*Essex County* -- There are two restaurants nearby. The 94th Bomb Group
(973-882-5660) is on the airport grounds and is open for dinner. The Tuscany grill
(973-808-7100), a tenth of a mile away, attracts local business people as well as the
airport crowd and serves steaks, chops, and burgers. A half mile away, Napoleon's
Restaurant (973-227-1773) is known for its large and varied menu. From the moment it
opens at 6am, it does a brisk carryout business among flight crew members and others.

*Flying W* -- The Avion (609-267-8787) is a restaurant and lounge that offers an
international menu in a comfortable atmosphere overlooking the runway. The Signature
Sunday Brunch is an established tradition in the area. It is closed Mondays.

*Lincoln Park* -- The Airport Café (973-686-0106) serves breakfast, lunch, and
dinner seven days a week, from 10am to 10pm, with karaoke on Wednesday nights and
live music and entertainment Thursday through Sunday. The Airport Café also features
an outside dining terrace and party room. The Lincoln Park Pilots Association meets
there every third Tuesday.

*Little Ferry Seaplane Base* -- Located adjacent to the dock is Tracey's Mine Mile
House (201-440-1100). Its full service menu offers burgers, salads, steaks, and chops
in American and Italian styles. Tracey's is closed on Mondays.

*Millville Municipal* -- Antino's Cornerstone Grille & Caterers (856-293-7771)
replaced the Sunset Café a while back. The hamburgers, wraps, desserts, and views of
the runway get high marks. The Flight Line Restaurant (856-825-3200) is also on the
airport grounds and serves breakfast and lunch in the bacon-and-eggs and
burgers-and-fries tradition.

*Monmouth Executive* -- Runway 34 (732-919-2828) is a restaurant and deli that will
open soon (publication date was Summer, 2004. GRP) for lunch and dinner and deli take
out. Call for hours.

*Morristown* -- Rod's 1890s Ranch House (973-539-666) offers lunch and dinner and is
only three miles from Morristown Municipal Airport. For those who want other choices,
there are dozens of other restaurants within 15 miles of the airport.

*Newark Liberty International* -- Newark, of course, has the biggest selection of
eateries by far throughout terminals A, B, and C.

*Ocean City Municipal* -- The Airport Diner (609-399-3663) offers breakfast and
lunch and closes at 3pm.

*Sky Manor* -- The Sky Manor Restaurant (908-996-3442) features inexpensive, well
prepared family fare, attentive service, and a kid's menu. In warm weather, there's
lots of outdoor seating with good views of the runways - and peacocks. During the
summer it's closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

*South Jersey Regional* -- The Runway Café (609-518-0400) features house-made soups
and wraps along with traditional breakfast fare and big burgers.

*Sussex* -- The Airport Diner (973-702-0579) has a reputation for reasonably priced
egg sandwiches and other home-style staples, plus a cheerful atmosphere. It's open
Monday - Saturday 6am to 3pm and Sunday 7am to 1pm.

*Trenton Mercer County* -- The General's Quarters (609-883-4747) has a good
reputation that goes back several decades. It's strategically placed to give diners a
great view of the airfield.

From the New Jersey Department of Transportation Flight Log, Summer, 2004.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old September 29th 04, 12:21 AM
bryan chaisone

Sort of related George. Have you flown to Tangier Island in the
Chesapeake? If so please do a write up. My wife and kids want me to
take them there.

Thanks,
Bryan "the Monk" Chaisone

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
[...]

From the New Jersey Department of Transportation Flight Log, Summer, 2004.

Old September 29th 04, 12:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

bryan chaisone wrote:

Sort of related George. Have you flown to Tangier Island in the
Chesapeake? If so please do a write up. My wife and kids want me to
take them there.

Haven't been there in years, but it used to be an easy trip. I don't know how the
ADIZ affects Tangier. R6609 extends down to the surface, while R4006 starts at
3,500', so stay to the east of the island regardless of wind direction on approach
just to make sure you stay out of protected airspace. There's no fuel. You can tie
down to a steel cable if necessary. There was a $5 landing fee the last time I was
there. I was told that there's a hump in the pavement about 1/3 of the way down the
runway. The typical spamcan hits that like a speed bump, but my Maule is off the
ground before then. The town dump is apparently at the northerly end of the runway,
so if you land short, you don't even have to remove the plane. :-)

After landing, you can simply follow the road east. The center of town is close and
unmistakeable. All of the local restaurants near that crossroad are good if you want
seafood - the locals bring in lots of shellfish. The beach is at the south end of the
island, and it's a pleasant walk, though a bit long. If you pass by locals who are
conversing amongst themselves, don't be surprised to find it difficult to understand
them. They still use speech patterns that the rest of the English-speaking world gave
up several centuries ago. The town itself has numerous small shops, but it's still
mainly private homes. I expect that the shops and restaurants go onto a reduced
schedule, or even close completely as winter draws near, but I've only been there in
summer. Should you choose to make a weekend of it, there are a few B&Bs. Bring your
own tiedowns.

Lee Ross has also been there a few times, as have Ron and Margie Natalie. Want to add
anything guys?

Old September 29th 04, 01:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

zatatime wrote:

I thought they frowned upon people going there.

Didn't seem that way to me.

Haven't looked it up
in quite some time, but I also thought the airport was only open for a
few hours on Sunday.

Hours are 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Saturday; 9 am to 5 pm Sunday, according to
AOPA. One of the member comments on that site recommends arriving well after noon on
Sundays, since everyone will be at church in the morning. The aircraft owned by some
of the commenters include Mooneys and a Mootoo. Comments rate the runway as anything
from extremely dangerous to great!

Old September 29th 04, 01:56 AM
Rosspilot

Lee Ross has also been there a few times, as have Ron and Margie Natalie.
Want to add
anything guys?

I was unimpressed. The service in the restaurant was the worst I have ever
experienced. The place seemed dirty and generally unkempt. I was told that
the entire population descends from 3 families (Pruit, I think, is one of
them). I went to meet Ron and Margy and George and a few others in the NG who
did a fly-in there a few years ago.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old September 29th 04, 02:54 AM
john price

Bryan...

Here's a write-up I did a few years back for my flying
club mewsletter.....

John Price
CFII/AGI/IGI
http://home.att.net/~jm.price

Tangier is another world... By my count, there are four
restaurants (Chesapeake House, The Islander, Fisherman's
Corner and the Waterfront), three B&Bs (Shirley's,
The Sunset Inn and The Chesapeake House), two Ice Cream
Palors (forgot the names), five gift shops, two grocery
stores, two churches, one post office, about 50 Pepsi
machines and, oh yeah, one airport (very important). The
airport has a 2,950 ft. runway (02/20), and an office the
size of a small garage. There's a $4 landing fee and a $6
overnight parking fee (no fuel, or services... just one
of the ever present Pepsi machines).

The islanders (about 700 of 'em) still speak with a distinct
Elizabethen accent handed down from those who first settled
the island around 1650. There are only a handful of cars
on the island, but almost every family owns a golf cart, which
is the primary means of transportation. None of the roads
are much wider than a golf cart, and gridlock does occur.
The homes all have the most well kept yards and gardens
I've ever seen, and every one has a fence around it. We
asked one resident why everyone had a fence, and the woman
explained it was to keep the kids from wandering out into
the traffic (you really had to be there).

There are only a handful of family names on the island, the
more predominant being Crockett, Pruitt, Parks, Evans and
Dise. Most of the houses have a plaque somewhere telling
who lives there, and it's really funny, because you look
at one and note that it's occupied by the Parks family,
and across the street, the house is owned by the Parks
family and next door, you guessed it, the house belongs to
the Parks. The community is close knit and very religous.
Many of the shops are closed on Sundays, as everyone goes
to church and many attend an evening Bible service. There
is no alcohol available on the island, but I think it's
ok to bring your own. I was really looking forward to
devouring about a dozen crabs and having a few beers to
wash 'em down... that's the way we Marylanders do it.

Speaking of food... take a BIG appetite. The restaurants
are small and cheap, and the food is out of this world
(if you like seafood). Sunday night we had dinner at the
Chesapeake house, which is family style, all you can eat
(for only $11.50/person). Dinner includes homemade crab
cakes, oyster fritters, ham, pickled beets, cole slaw,
potato salad and corn pudding. Throw in some homemade bread
and pound cake, and trust me, you get real full, real fast.
For those of you not familiar with the traditions of the
bay area, this is a very typical summer Sunday dinner,
not unlike many I had when I lived in Baltimore as a kid.
I guess the only thing I had never had before was the corn
pudding, which is just that... a very rich (peg the
cholesteral meter) custard with corn mixed in... sounds
strange, but it's outta this world.

On Monday, we had lunch at the Islander. I went for a
crab sautee' with cole slaw and corn pudding (can't
get enough of it).

At random, I had chosen Shirley's Bayview Inn as a good
place to stay (it was the first one I called, and she had
rooms available). As it turns out, it's the best place
on the island, particularly if you're flying in. The house
is one of the oldest, and has been in the Pruitt family
for generations. For $60 for the night, we had a huge
room in the back of the house with a deck overlooking the
runway and the bay. Mr. Pruitt had just completed a two
story deck in the back yard where we sat with another
couple to watch the sunset. I can't remember their names,
but he had once been a pilot for Eastern Express before they
went under, and she was a former stewardess. Now he just
flies for fun.

Shirley makes a fantastic breakfast... Eggs, bacon, sausage
(I was suprised no scrapple [ask me sometime]) homemade
bread french toast with homemade jam, lots of coffee and
real fresh squeezed orange juice... Needless to say, before
leaving we had to completely re-do the weight and balance
calculations!

Old September 29th 04, 04:06 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:20:31 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Hours are 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Saturday; 9 am to 5 pm Sunday,

Thanks for the reply. I read your other post after making mine, but
appreciate the additional info. Sounds like an early fall trip to see
for myself.

Old September 29th 04, 12:31 PM
Jay Masino

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
bryan chaisone wrote:
Sort of related George. Have you flown to Tangier Island in the
Chesapeake? If so please do a write up. My wife and kids want me to
take them there.

Haven't been there in years, but it used to be an easy trip. I don't know how the
ADIZ affects Tangier. R6609 extends down to the surface, while R4006 starts at
3,500', so stay to the east of the island regardless of wind direction on approach

SNIP

The ADIZ doesn't effect Tangier. It's outside the ADIZ.

By the way, Crisfield, MD is also a great place to get crabs. The airport
is outside of town, but the airport personnel will find a way to get you
into town.

--- Jay

--
__!__