"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 4th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default "Rolling" to ATC

Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Old February 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_3_]

Are you sure you don't mean trolling?

Old February 4th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Feb 4, 12:59 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

If your takeoff clearance includes "no delay" due to landing traffic
behind you, then the "rolling" information could be of some use to the
controller. However, this is not something that is widely used. I
suspect it is because the controller cannot simply rely on your
transmission for his decision to issue a landing clearance.

Old February 4th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

If the controller's vision is good enough for a second-class medical, it is
good enough to see if you are rolling or not.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Tuite

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:59:26 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Are we talking barrel or aileron rolls?

Don
Old February 4th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 5, 6:59 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

In this country (NZ) we seem to hear 'rolling' from people who have
been trained at uncontrolled airfields and seem to bring that with
them when flying into controlled airfields. The rest of us don't
generally say it until we get to an uncontrolled airfield..

Old February 4th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Gardner writes:

If the controller's vision is good enough for a second-class medical, it is
good enough to see if you are rolling or not.

Then why do some pilots say it? Or is this one of those insoluble
issues like whether or not to say "as filed" when asking for
clearance?

Old February 4th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Don Tuite writes:

Are we talking barrel or aileron rolls?

Rolling in the sense of wheels rolling on the runway, as the aircraft
prepares to take off.

Old February 4th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

In this country (NZ) we seem to hear 'rolling' from people who have
been trained at uncontrolled airfields and seem to bring that with
them when flying into controlled airfields. The rest of us don't
generally say it until we get to an uncontrolled airfield..

Do you say anything prior to the take-off? If so, what do you add by
saying "rolling"? (If not, I can understand why you'd say it,
although by the time you _are_ rolling, it's a bit late to warn anyone
who might be in your way.)