Now accessing internet while flying is completely possible.

Old December 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rishil

Default Now accessing internet while flying is completely possible.

A popular American airline company has recently has teamed up with
Yahoo and Research in Motion (RIM) to offer this Wireless Internet for
its passengers..

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...le-flying.html

Good Day!!

Old December 8th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Dec 7, 10:29 am, rishil wrote:
A popular American airline company has recently has teamed up with
Yahoo and Research in Motion (RIM) to offer this Wireless Internet for
its passengers..

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...t-while-flying....

Good Day!!

We've been able to use the internet in our CAP aircraft (182) for
awhile. It uses sat based internet. However, its not super reliable.
Boeing actually offered in flight internet access a few years ago but
not enough airlines purchased it, so the technology isn't new.
Old December 8th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Barchi

"rishil" wrote in message
A popular American airline company has recently has teamed up with
Yahoo and Research in Motion (RIM) to offer this Wireless Internet for
its passengers..

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...le-flying.html

Good Day!!

So I can play MSFS and talk to virtual ATC while riding in an airliner?!!!

Frank

Old December 8th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Frank Barchi" wrote in
:

"rishil" wrote in message
..
.

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...while-flying.h
tml

Good Day!!

So I can play MSFS and talk to virtual ATC while riding in an
airliner?!!!

I'm going back to flying bush...

Bertie
Old December 8th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Dec 7, 6:34 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Dec 7, 10:29 am, rishil wrote:

A popular American airline company has recently has teamed up with
Yahoo and Research in Motion (RIM) to offer this Wireless Internet for
its passengers..

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...t-while-flying....

Good Day!!

We've been able to use the internet in our CAP aircraft (182) for
awhile. It uses sat based internet. However, its not super reliable.
Boeing actually offered in flight internet access a few years ago but
not enough airlines purchased it, so the technology isn't new.

If an aircraft is flying in the continental US, what is the typical
maximum distance from aircraft to aviation-related point-of-presence
(POP)? Anything will do...a radio beacon, FSS, whatever...as long as
it has electricity.

It would seem that, if this distance is short enough, the aircraift
could behave like a giant cell phone, with the POPs being the base-
servivce-stations (BSS). I realize that, with Internet Protocol, the
technical challenges of mobility are different, but if these
challenges were overcome, the system would probably be more reliable
(and faster) than satellite-based systems.

The system could also be used for communication normally reserved for
the radio, with VOIP, etc.

It seems that many of the limitations to advancing the field of
aviation has to do with the information technology infrastructure.
The FAA's NexGen project for example, (http://www.aci-na.org/docs/FAA
%20Reauthorization%20House%20Hearing%20Report%20Se nate%20Approves
%20FY2007%20Funding.pdf) is not feasible unless there is a gross
reassesment of the nature of air-to-air and air-to-ground
communication. IOW, IMO, they will have to solve a problem that
computer sciences have been trying to solve for 30 years: creating a
well-formed supernetwork that goes beyond what the current Internet
offers, one that includes real mobility, and ad-hoc mesh networks in
the sky.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Old December 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Le Chaud Lapin wrote in
:

On Dec 7, 10:29 am, rishil wrote:

A popular American airline company has recently has teamed up with
Yahoo and Research in Motion (RIM) to offer this Wireless Internet
for its passengers..

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/12/...t-while-flying.

Good Day!!

We've been able to use the internet in our CAP aircraft (182) for
awhile. It uses sat based internet. However, its not super reliable.
Boeing actually offered in flight internet access a few years ago but
not enough airlines purchased it, so the technology isn't new.

If an aircraft is flying in the continental US, what is the typical
maximum distance from aircraft to aviation-related point-of-presence
(POP)? Anything will do...a radio beacon, FSS, whatever...as long as
it has electricity.

Oh boi! The sock puppet is back!

Bertie
Old December 8th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Le Chaud Lapin" wrote more sock puppet ****

Hey MX, you stupid twit.

Don't you remember that we figured out that "the cold stupid bunny" is just
your sock puppet?

Knock it off. Post using your real name, or not at all.

What an idiot.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 9th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:11:44 -0600, Frank Barchi wrote:

So I can play MSFS and talk to virtual ATC while riding in an
airliner?!!!

With true weather. How long will it be before the games include true
traffic? You could buzz your own cattle-car.

- Andrew
Old December 10th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Frank Barchi" wrote in message

So I can play MSFS and talk to virtual ATC while riding in an airliner?!!!

Wow...that would be a cool way to pass the time between PDX and New Orleans
next month, except my 747 would cease to exist after 90 minutes (or less,
depending on battery charge and monitor brightness settings.)

'Course, TSA would probably just shoot me if they saw a joystick in my
carry-on. Probably figure I was going to try to hijack the plane with it or
something.

-c