Real or smoke from XM and AvMap

Old April 13th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

Default Real or smoke from XM and AvMap

I didn't go to SnF this year, so I did not get to hear the AvMap rep once
again blow smoke about being 6 months away from WX.
Now XM issues press release that "they are proud to have AvMap as their
newest working partner in bringing XM Wx into the cockpit". Anybody go to
the Booth and see some hardware?
Last year I was told Garmin had exclusive on building their own receiver
inside the handheld (everyone else would need the external box). I see
nothing at the AvMap web site.

Old April 14th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

Theit Geopilot II Plus has it... and they are only $1,175.00 + Shipping Vs
the Garmin $ Ouch...

AvMap GeoPilot II PLUS
High Performance at an Affordable Price
The Geopilot II PLUS, the new portable aeronautical navigator developed by
AvMap, is high performance but truly affordable. GeoPilot II PLUS is faster
than ever thanks to the new 300 MHz processor, more compact and practical
with the built-in battery and GPS receiver, and an extra serial port
available for connection with PC and autopilot devices.
Large Display, Safe Navigation
AvMap GeoPilot II PLUS displays all the information you need on a wide 5"
color LCD. The display is sunlight-viewable and equipped with a sensor for
automatic brightness control and an audio video input. The information is
clearly visible and the map page is fully customizable.

Weather Conditions
With an optional antenna you can receive constantly updated XM/WX weather
conditions: NEXRAD (next generation radar), and Lightning information are
displayed on the map. Enhanced Situational Awareness With the TAWS, GeoPilot
II PLUS displays your position in relation to surrounding terrain. With the
new Crossed Airspace Predictor function, you can get a preview of the
airspaces that you will cross along your flight, while the Crossed Airspace
Advisor provides warnings during the flight on airspaces being crossed.

Most Accurate Information
The cartography preloaded on the SD memory card includes the Jeppesen®
navigation database with terrain and vertical obstructions. The Map also
includes and Victor Airways, marine objects, ULM Aerodromes and private
airports. This enhanced database provides more navigation and emergency
"nearest" options.

Multifunctional: Navigate by Sky and Land!
AvMap GeoPilot II PLUS is engineered for aeronautical as well as terrestrial
use as it can fit perfectly in your aircraft and in you car. With the 2GB SD
Card preloaded with Tele Atlas Maps of North America GeoPilot II PLUS
converts into an advanced car navigator with turn-by-turn vocal
instructions! SD included at no extra costs!

Old April 14th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Longworth[_1_]

On Apr 14, 1:47*am, "NW_Pilot" service(Spam)@aircraft"nospam"-me-
ok-"spamer"delivery.net wrote:
Theit Geopilot II Plus has it... and they are only $1,175.00 + Shipping Vs
the Garmin $ Ouch...

Avmap has not announced the price and availability of the required
XM antenna. If they price it below $500, I'll certainly choose the
Geopilot II plus with XM weather over the Garmin 396.

Hai Longworth
Old April 14th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

If you're looking for cheap XM weather then get this.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/b...her-218357.php

Old April 14th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Longworth[_1_]

On Apr 14, 4:56*pm, Newps wrote:
If you're looking for cheap XM weather then get this.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/b...utdoor-gps-doe...

I heard about this bushnell onix400cr over a year ago but did not
come across any user reviews until recently. Both users gave the
lowest rating of one star and would not recommend it to a friend -
maybe they would give recommendations to an enemy ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/5p24k8

I would not mind paying the same price range for the Garmin 396/496
for GPS units with 5" or 7" displays. I hope to see reviews of the
avmap xm in a very near future.

Hai Longworth

Old April 16th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Longworth wrote:

I heard about this bushnell onix400cr over a year ago but did not
come across any user reviews until recently. Both users gave the
lowest rating of one star and would not recommend it to a friend -
maybe they would give recommendations to an enemy ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/5p24k8

I would not mind paying the same price range for the Garmin 396/496
for GPS units with 5" or 7" displays. I hope to see reviews of the
avmap xm in a very near future.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/bu...0-unboxed.html

Read down towards the bottom (28 comments total) about resolving the
subscription issues. One said that Garmin made the unit for Bushnell. I'd
like to see Garmin match the XM pricing...