Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Old April 4th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Cirrus Owner Tell His Story

"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
I'm watching AOPA and EAA. I think they're trustworthy. I haven't even
read
Zoom's version of the story.

And they both say that there is no concern, right?

However, they appear to have done it anyway, based on the stories that
have
been posted here.

Usenet is less reliable for fact than the evening news. Besides, I haven't
seen any factual based story here that supports the claim that Florida is
out to tax anyone any different that other states.

Nobody can bank on anything a government says when it says that it will
pass
on collecting tax revenue.

I'll agree that you can't bank on it but I can make reasonable decisions
with some level of confidence based on the wording of their tax law and
their publicly stated interpretation.

After publicly stating they will not, they have NO CHANCE of winning
in court if they try to enforce a tax at that venue. ANd the court of
Public Opinion would crucify them. In the current financial
environment they need all the Positive Press they can get, and all the
tourist dollars. It would be nothing short of suicide economically to
do anything stupid.

You're assuming that governments act sensibly. Too often, they don't.

I have to agree with Jay, here. I don't really agree with the absoluteness
of "NO CHANCE" and the impact of a public outcry would likely be unforseen
backlash rather than a calculated risk in their decision.

"Unlikely" or "Probably not" is about as far as I'm will to go. However,
there is no reason for them to do so. It would be much more efficient for
them to sit in front of a computer and compare FAA plane registrations with
pilot addresses. Ooo. Did I say that out loud?
-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old April 4th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-04-03, BobR wrote:

All of this would be relevant if it was just Zoom. It's not just Zoom.

And nobody is arguing that point.

Then why are folks saying "Zoom first told the story, so it must be bogus"?

Past repeated performance?

Like Jim says,

Credibility is always about credibility...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Old April 4th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
Then why are folks saying "Zoom first told the story, so it must be
bogus"?

I haven't seen that kind of statement. What I have seen stated is that no
realiable source is supporting the statements that he made plus he has
proven himself a good story teller, therefore it's bogus.

somehow, Zoom led them and EAA down the garden path and they did no
checking
on their own. In effect, the detractors are slamming AOPA and EAA's
credibility because of Zoom, and that's totally unwarranted.

What did I miss? Did AOPA and EAA publish his story as fact? What I read put
the possibility out there and presented information that put it in
perspective. Seems like a reasonable approach.

-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old April 4th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-04, John Ammeter wrote:
His problem is that too many of us have seen him lie and fabricate too
many times to ever believe him again.

So don't believe him. Believe AOPA and EAA.

As it happens, AOPA had an item in this week's newsletter, saying they don't
think there's a problem. I'll take their word for it. See
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article.../080328fl.html for the article.

Note that the letter they quote from the Florida Department of Revenue,
while saying that they are working to change the law, includes language that
confirms the original story:

"If an aircraft is purchased in another state by a nonresident and brought
here for repair, training, or business use within 6 months of purchase, a
use tax may be due."

If they weren't going to charge the tax, why would they say that?

It's not about Zoom. It quit being about Zoom the moment AOPA and EAA
reported it. Zoom is totally irrelevant to this story.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 4th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-04, Travis Marlatte wrote:
"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
I'm watching AOPA and EAA. I think they're trustworthy. I haven't even
read Zoom's version of the story.

And they both say that there is no concern, right?

Now, they do. They didn't originally.

"Unlikely" or "Probably not" is about as far as I'm will to go. However,
there is no reason for them to do so. It would be much more efficient for
them to sit in front of a computer and compare FAA plane registrations with
pilot addresses. Ooo. Did I say that out loud?

You're assuming they act efficiently...
Old April 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:41:49 GMT, Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-04, John Ammeter wrote:
His problem is that too many of us have seen him lie and fabricate too
many times to ever believe him again.

So don't believe him. Believe AOPA and EAA.

As it happens, AOPA had an item in this week's newsletter, saying they don't
think there's a problem. I'll take their word for it. See
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article.../080328fl.html for the article.

Note that the letter they quote from the Florida Department of Revenue,
while saying that they are working to change the law, includes language that
confirms the original story:

"If an aircraft is purchased in another state by a nonresident and brought
here for repair, training, or business use within 6 months of purchase, a
use tax may be due."

Emphasize the MAY.

If they weren't going to charge the tax, why would they say that?

Because under certain circumstances, under the current law, there
COULD be a tax liability incurred. They are saying coming to Sun 'N
Fun this year will NOT be one of those circumstances. You believe them
when they say some circumstances MAY incur a tax penalty, believe them
when they say coming to Sun 'N Fun isn't one of those circumstances.

Old April 4th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article ,

In article ,
On 2008-04-03, BobR wrote:
All of this would be relevant if it was just Zoom. It's not just Zoom.
And nobody is arguing that point.
Then why are folks saying "Zoom first told the story, so it must be bogus"?

Past repeated performance?

Aw, cmon. Nobody's perfect. Not even Zoom is perfectly wrong.

But he works so *hard* at it when he gets riled up.
Old April 5th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stella Starr

Jay Maynard wrote:

It's not about Zoom.

You keep saying that, and you keep putting him back into the story.

Was there ever someone who didn't live in Florida, made a landing while
passing through, and had to pay sales tax? If there's a true story, will
someone please post it and skip all the arguing over what someone may
not have said?

Egad, if I knew I was gonna live to be a thousand I still wouldn't
have time for endless fact-free discussions like this.
Old April 5th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-05, Stella Starr wrote:
Jay Maynard wrote:
It's not about Zoom.

You keep saying that, and you keep putting him back into the story.

Nope. Those who are saying that out-of-state people will never be charged
Florida use tax for flying their new aircraft into Florida for training or
business are arguing that the whole story is bogus because Zoom first
reported it.

Was there ever someone who didn't live in Florida, made a landing while
passing through, and had to pay sales tax? If there's a true story, will
someone please post it and skip all the arguing over what someone may
not have said?

The state of Florida says they may charge use tax for aircraft owned by
someone with no connection to Florida that flies there for business or
training. I don't trust a government to not collect tax they say they amy
collect.
Old April 5th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Clark

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:33:22 -0700, Stella Starr
wrote:

Jay Maynard wrote:

It's not about Zoom.

You keep saying that, and you keep putting him back into the story.

Was there ever someone who didn't live in Florida, made a landing while
passing through, and had to pay sales tax? If there's a true story, will
someone please post it and skip all the arguing over what someone may
not have said?

AFAIKT, the Meridian case was just that. Sold in the Carolianas, flew
to VRB for a week's worth of training, left, got slapped with a tax
bill.