Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old February 3rd 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Jon writes:

It did

How do you know?
Old February 3rd 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Yes, the certificate is self-signed.

Top-level certificates are not signed. They have to be trusted.
Old February 3rd 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike Ash writes:

Sure is a huge leap from "infected with malware... identity theft,
credit-card fraud" to "bogus information [for which there would be
absolutely no consequences]".

That's a possibility, too, but for an obscure site such as this one, it's not
as much of a danger as simple bogus information.
Old February 3rd 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

You won't convince me of that.

That is not my objective, and of course there is a lot of individual
variation.

You miss out on nearly all the sensations of flying.

Not everyone flies for sensations. Flying commercial airliners provides
little in the way of sensations, and yet many pilots of such aircraft seem to
enjoy it, just the same.

When I go out to the Aeronca I smell the fresh grass from the runway,
I hear the birds. When I get in the plane I smell the wonderful aroma
of avgas and oil. I feel the wooden prop on my hands as I give the
engine its breath of life. I feel the sensation of bounced down the
grass runway and I feel the G load as I make a quick left turn to
avoid the nearby class D airspace. I see the mountains 200 miles
away on a clear and and see the snow caps on them. I hear the 65 hp.
Cont purring away.

Almost none of this appeals to me, and the parts that do are mostly simulated.

I honestly would not have the patience to sit in from of a computer
but I love smelling the flowers as I make a low pass over the fields.
That is what flying is about to me.

I agree, if that's what flying is about, you wouldn't enjoy a simulator. You
wouldn't enjoy the flight deck of a 747, either.

A lot of private pilots seem to like this sensation stuff, but there are many
sorts of pilots and they don't all get the same types of satisfaction out of
flying.
Old February 3rd 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike Ash writes:

I agree with the rest of what you said, but this is ridiculous. YOU may
get 95% of the fun (although how you could tell, never having flown a
real plane, is beyond me) but that is by no means universal. The number
for me is more like 1%, which is why I've basically stopped simming
since I started flying for real. You can bet that I'm not driving 90
minutes each way and paying $30+ for tows just to make up that last five
percent!

Sims are fun, sims are useful in limited ways, but a 95% solution they
are not.

As you yourself admit, it depends on what you're looking for.

My idea of fun is flying in poor visibility for an hour and then finally
coming out of the clouds and mist to see the runway perfectly aligned right in
front of me. It always surprises and pleases me to see what you can do when
flying by instruments alone.

In contrast, flying a Cessna in the mountains at night VFR (or even IFR, with
its limited avionics) can be so stressful that I often just skip it.
Old February 3rd 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

So you don't let gamers into your simulated treehouse?

Gamers are a very different breed. I have almost nothing in common with them.
They closely match the stereotype of the angry young male, which is very far
from my own personality.
Old February 3rd 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_4_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

So you don't let gamers into your simulated treehouse?

Gamers are a very different breed. I have almost nothing in common with
them.
They closely match the stereotype of the angry young male, which is very
far
from my own personality.

Simmers are a very different breed. I have almost nothing in common with
them.

Old February 3rd 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Wrong again.

Most pilots use
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html to get TFRs and
DUATS or similar for NOTAMS.

Why would the FAA maintain a site for pilots if pilots didn't visit it? Why
would it make it a secure site?

You haven't a clue what real pilots use and why and apparently no clue
on what it is that SSL secures.

The first is understandable and the second is no surprise.

The SITE is the NAIMES web site, which is where all the NAIMES information
comes from.

Most pilots would not use the PAGE of the web site you refenced because
it is awkward to use for most purposes and the same information is
available elsewhere in easier to use formats.

There is no reason for the PAGE to be served as HTTPS unless other units
of the FAA are using that PAGE for access to traceably valid data, which
pilots do not.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.