Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old February 2nd 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Mike Ash writes:

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

The serious consequence of accepting a bogus certificate authority is that
your computer can be infected with malware after you have done so. If you
enjoy identity theft, credit-card fraud, or reinstalling machines to eliminate
malware, that is your prerogative, but most people don't enjoy that.

Funny. I had always thought that you were highly skilled with computers,
and that your amusing bluster regarding aviation was due to the common
mistake of thinking that skill in one area implies intelligence in all
areas.

Turns out you apparently don't know squat about computers either. Guess
I shouldn't be surprised.

Do you never visit unsecured http sites? Might get malware, you know!
And how about usenet? Definitely no SSL on that, and I'm certain there's
at least one remotely-exploitable buffer overflow in your newsreader
that could be used to do all sorts of horrible things to your computer.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 2nd 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Feb 2, 1:08*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
In article ,

*Mxsmanic wrote:
Jon writes:

This assumes that careful thinking is required.

In this case, careful thinking is required.

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

He'll remained on the ground while the rest of you are wheels up

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Regards,
Jon

Old February 2nd 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Feb 2, 3:44*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
[...]
Do you never visit unsecured http sites? Might get malware, you know!
And how about usenet? Definitely no SSL on that, and I'm certain there's
at least one remotely-exploitable buffer overflow in your newsreader

There's a buffer overflow, but it's probably somewhere else

that could be used to do all sorts of horrible things to your computer.

It's consistent with the overall fear of several things.

Mike Ash

Regards,
Jon
--
"0verthinking,
overanalyzing,
Old February 2nd 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike Ash writes:

That implies some kind of serious consequence for being wrong. What
serious consequences do you face for missing a NOTAM or violating a TFR
in your simulated airplane?

The serious consequence of accepting a bogus certificate authority is that
your computer can be infected with malware after you have done so. If you
enjoy identity theft, credit-card fraud, or reinstalling machines to eliminate
malware, that is your prerogative, but most people don't enjoy that.

So, you think that a FAA site is going to steal your identity, put
bogus charges on your credit card or install malware?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 2nd 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 2, 12:27*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
I guess I just don't understand simulation (I have a hard time just
finding time to mow my lawn, much less play on the computer). However,
wouldn't the benefit of playing on the flight simulator be that you
could ignore real TFRs and fly right over the White House (land on the
grass, etc)?

Only if you're a gamer. *Normally the enjoyment of simulation requires that
many of the same constraints that apply in the real world also be respected in
the simulated world.

Kind of seems like having a hot blow up doll who's realistic enough to
not want to have sex with you. If you're going to be bound by real
life restrictions why simulate?

-Robert
Old February 3rd 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Taylor[_3_]

A real pilot would not use FAA's pilot web to learn about TFRs and
NOTAMs as part of an official weather briefing (verbal or electronic),
which is the only one that counts.

Mxsmanic wrote:
Viperdoc writes:

A real pilot or any other normal rational individual could care less about
you and your computer, since you are not a pilot and have no need to know
about TFRs.

My computer is not the one he needs to access to learn about TFRs and NOTAMs.
The one he needs to access is the one with the problem.

Old February 3rd 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,

Robert M. Gary writes:
I guess I just don't understand simulation (I have a hard time just
finding time to mow my lawn, much less play on the computer). However,
wouldn't the benefit of playing on the flight simulator be that you
could ignore real TFRs and fly right over the White House (land on the
grass, etc)?

Only if you're a gamer. *Normally the enjoyment of simulation requires that
many of the same constraints that apply in the real world also be respected
in
the simulated world.

Kind of seems like having a hot blow up doll who's realistic enough to
not want to have sex with you. If you're going to be bound by real
life restrictions why simulate?

Nah, to a non-pilot playing with a simulator, things like TFRs and weird
NOTAMs are cool and interesting challenges. There's no certificate that
can be threatened, there's no actual travel to be disrupted, so it's
just an interesting change of pace.

The key restrictions simulations *don't* have are danger, cost, and
training requiremetns, which are the keys to why our friend here sits at
a desk instead of in a cockpit.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 3rd 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Mike Ash" wrote in message
In article
,

Robert M. Gary writes:
[...]

You forgot about the all-important "pause button" to facilitate potty-stops,
and visits to the fridge, without the dsiruption and delay associated with a
real stop enroute...

Peter ;-)

Old February 3rd 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Feb 3, 9:03*am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Mike Ash" wrote in message

In article
,

Robert M. Gary writes:
[...]

My first long haul ride in a GA plane (Piper Aztec) was with two IFR
pilots. It tooks several days (Hanscom AFB to Lafayette, LA). I
finally understood what they meant by "running out of ass before you
run out of gas"

Regards,
Jon
Old February 3rd 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Taylor writes:

A real pilot would not use FAA's pilot web to learn about TFRs and
NOTAMs as part of an official weather briefing (verbal or electronic),
which is the only one that counts.

Real pilots use it all the time, and that is its main purpose, which is why
the site is secured with SSL.

Obviously, good pilots will draw information from multiple sources and will
not skip briefings, but pilots definitely use the Web as one of those sources,
particularly for preliminary planning.