Intermittant CAI-302a shutdown?

Old September 7th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

Default Intermittant CAI-302a shutdown?

I have been experiencing some intermittant CAI-302a shutdowns, before,
during, and after flights lately. Here's what I have been able to
determine so far

The shutdown appears to be associated with the CAI-302a sensing that
it's input voltage is too low for normal operation. When I have been
able to get the CAI-302 to display power supply voltage, I have seen
numbers as low as 4.5VDC, but typically something like 8.8VDC, just
before shutdown. Switching from the front to the aft battery does not
change the low voltage reading.

I have two brand-new Werker 12V lead-acid batteries, both religously
charged with Battery-Minder Plus chargers, so it is hard for me to
believe that *both* batteries could be loaded down to 8.8V from 12-13
volts without a *lot* of smoke and heat (none detected).

I have eliminated as many loads as I can so far, leaving only the
CAI-302a and my IPAQ 3955 PDA/Cradle (I have plans to eliminate the
PDA & cradle, but haven't done it yet)

The CAI-302a power/data cable appears to be secure at the 302 and at
the power buss.

I have not yet tried to measure the actual 12V battery voltage in
flight, but that's on the list to do. Obviously, this will a PITA, but
do-able.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Regards,

Frank (TA)

Old September 7th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Frank--

Does your radio show low voltage?
Beckers and Dittles can show by various means.

Do you have the backup battery? If the 302A provides for one you can easily
rig it with (dare I say it) Radio Shack parts cheaply.

If not--Allied Electronics sells small panel mout digital voltmeters
inexpensively. Can give advance warning of trouble!

Doubt both batts are bad, but it can happen. Check them on the bench with a
1 amp load.
Probably the 302A is having internal problems.
--

best regards
Hartley Falbaum

Old September 7th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

Hartley,

Excellent point regarding the radio as an independent check! I have a
Dittel, and am familiar with it's low-voltage indications (blinking
display), and I haven't noticed anything like this that correlates to
the CAI-302 symptoms.

Batteries have been checked multiple times, including long-term load
curve analysis.

Regards,

Frankl

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

Frank (TA)- Hide quoted text -

Old September 7th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Frank wrote:
[...]

It may very well be the PDA. If the PDA is trying to charge the battery
it may try to draw enough current through the 302 to cause the 302 to
quit. I had this happen and was able to fix it by adding a box that was
available (think cumulus soaring?) that passes the data through, but
provides independant power to the PDA so that the 302 doesn't have to
provide PDA power. If that's the problem, adding that box will fix it.

Gary
Old September 8th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Frank:

Sorry--forgot one thing.
Check the wiring---if slightly loose can get reduced (and of course) no
voltage!
The connector on the back of the 302 is a bit funky.
--
Hartley Falbaum