Cobra Trailer

Old December 3rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer

My Cobra trailer is difficult to open and close in colder weather. It
seems to be with the struts. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

Old December 3rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Try using a synthetic grease to lubricate the struts (Synco "Super Lube"
spray or grease) works well. You'll like it for glider wing pins too.

bumper
ups.com...

Old December 3rd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Move to a warmer part of the country? That was my solution.

Mike

On Dec 3, 11:32 am, "bumper" wrote:
Try using a synthetic grease to lubricate the struts (Synco "Super Lube"
spray or grease) works well. You'll like it for glider wing pins too.

wrote in oglegroups.com...

Old December 3rd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson

You might find the gas struts need replaced, if they
lose pressure then they don't support the trailer top
as well as they should especially when the weather
is cold. If the trailer closes easily in the summer
then the struts have lost pressure.

John

Old December 4th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson

Time for new struts.
Your trailer lid, the strut that keeps your canopy
open, the struts that keep your car's trunk lid open;
they are all toast at the 3-5 year mark.
Guy

Old December 4th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Guy Acheson wrote:
Time for new struts.
Your trailer lid, the strut that keeps your canopy
open, the struts that keep your car's trunk lid open;
they are all toast at the 3-5 year mark.

The struts in my Cobra are 12 years old and just as strong as when I got
it; the ones in my mini-van generally go 8-10 years. I think the metal
pieces around Bob's struts need cleaning and grease, as bumper
mentioned. My trailer needs it every 5 years or so, or it gets a bit
balky regardless of the temperature.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 4th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rex

This is a common problem for trailers in cold climates. The synthetic
seals in the gas springs (lift struts) are more likely to be damaged
when operated in cold temps.

There is not much you can do about it besides understand the
limitations of the equipment.

The grease on the square tube guides may be a bit of a factor
especially if loaded with dirt.
I suspect that the issue is the performance of the gas spring in the
cold.

Regards,
Rex

Old December 5th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Exactly, I have a similar problem with the Cobra trailer here in
Canada,
Luckily I do not have to open the trailer to often in the cold season,
but when I do, I take myself time to slowly open the lid.
Udo

Rex wrote:
This is a common problem for trailers in cold climates. The synthetic
seals in the gas springs (lift struts) are more likely to be damaged
when operated in cold temps.

There is not much you can do about it besides understand the
limitations of the equipment.

The grease on the square tube guides may be a bit of a factor
especially if loaded with dirt.
I suspect that the issue is the performance of the gas spring in the
cold.

Regards,
Rex

Cobra Trailer Hookup [email protected] Soaring 12 January 12th 05 04:08 PM
COBRA Skin Trailer Protector - Commercial John Seaborn Soaring 0 July 20th 04 04:38 PM
Cobra Trailer Axel Replacement Carter Soaring 7 July 7th 04 02:06 PM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM