New wave window rules in Reno Area

Old August 20th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New wave window rules in Reno Area

Hi Gang
As of August 1, 08 a new set of rules, agreed to between the FAA and
Pasco, has taken effect for the 2 wave
window areas both north and south of Reno Intl. These new rules
initiated by the FAA are due to the Hawker/ glider midair about 2
years ago and need to improve safety in the air. I was unaware of
these new rules until they had been implemented and wonder if other
wave window area around the US are now subject to similar rules?
If you do not know what a wave window is it is permission to fly in
certain regions of class A airspace (above 18k msl) over a certain
designated area whose 4 corners are defined and within a designated
time window (say 12 noon to 18:00 hours). The FAA redirects traffic to
avoid the window and previously any glider could enter the window
without a transponder nor with any communication with anyone. Wave
window altitudes had to be requested by Soar Minden or other
designated glider ops and were not limited to any specific value. At
Minden wave windows most commonly requested were to 26k and on
exceptional days as high as 35k.
This has now changed. All gliders entering class A airspace must
have an operating mode C transponder. All gliders must communicate
intent to enter the window and provide an identifier (comp ID or N
number etc) which will be given to the controller before entry. The
maximum new wave window altitude is 28k. The can be changed by
exception for say a record but has to be approved by prior agreement.
I think we have all been waiting to see what the long term
consequences of the Hawker/glider midair would be. It must be clear to
all that that accident should not have occurred and could easily have
been prevented. I predict that the next foot to drop will be the
glider transponder exemption above 10k. Having put a transponder in my
SparrowHawk without any problems after the Hawker incident I would
encourage all glider pilots to do the same.
Safety is not an option.
I would be interested to hear if these new wave rules at Minden
have been mandated elsewhere in the US or whether we are the guinea
pig. I suspect we are that animal. For those who are interested in
seeing the letter of agreement between Pasco and the FAA email me
privately and I will email you a copy of the letter plus color maps of
our 5 wave window areas.
Dave
Old August 20th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Gang
My account still contained my old email address. I think I have now
got rid of it. My current email address is .
Dave
Old August 20th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Unfortunately, without a change in FAA procedures, just putting a
transponder in a glider is not going to solve the risk of midairs.
Currently, the FAA relies on see and avoid for separation between IFR and
VFR traffic. As a result, the TCAS system is being used as a primary
collision avoidance tool, for which it was never designed.

The disturbing frequency of TCAS Resolution Advisories was alluded to in the
NTSB letter earlier this year to the FAA and the SSA concerning the Minden
midair. They pointed out that in the 30 days prior to this midair, there
were 4 other TCAS RAs in the Reno area alone.

MIT's Lincoln Lab did a study from June 2005 to January 2006 in the Boston
area. During this 190 day interval, they observed 1725 TCAS RAs within the
60 mile range of Lincoln Lab's sensor. This was an average of 9 TCAS RAs
per day, or one per 116 flight hours of Mode S transponder equipped aircraft
in that area.

Here is a link to the Lincoln Lab journal article:

http://www.ll.mit.edu/publications/j...2_04Kuchar.pdf

Not only do we need to get everyone equipped with transponders (or ADS-B
transceivers), but we also need to get ATC to start vectoring IFR traffic
around known VFR targets instead of just verbally calling out traffic
advisories to aircraft that are on an obvious collision trajectory.

Mike Schumann

Old August 21st 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

wrote in message
[...]

If I recall correctly, the collision was at 16,000 MSL, and the glider was
thermaling. So he was not in Class A airspace, and perhaps had no intention
of so doing. I'm not sure he was in the Minden wave window area either.
So this new agreement would not have changed this accident. Visual
separation is inadequate for those pilots not used to looking for gliders.

Thanks for the update
Hartley Falbaum--
Georgia, USA

Old August 21st 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

HL Falbaum wrote:
If I recall correctly, the collision was at 16,000 MSL, and the glider was
thermaling. So he was not in Class A airspace, and perhaps had no intention
of so doing. I'm not sure he was in the Minden wave window area either.
So this new agreement would not have changed this accident. Visual
separation is inadequate for those pilots not used to looking for gliders.

IIRC, changes to the Minden Wave Window LOA were in the process of
negotiation when the collision occurred, which caused it be placed on
the back burner. After the NTSB finished up and left, the negotiations
restarted.

The following is random recollection from various email conversations
that passed through my inbox, please do not assume 100% correctness.
Apparently, Reno ATC was apparently not happy with the outcome of the
NTSB discussions, so they started playing hard ball with the 1000 ft or
so of airspace they control from FL 180 up to that controlled by Oakland
Center. They ended up demanding a transponder to pass through that
airspace, or they would refuse to sign off on the LOA.

Bottom line, this is local politics, it has nothing to do with wave
windows elsewhere in the US...

Marc