iPhone Logger?

Old September 2nd 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default iPhone Logger?

Give the guy a break.

Of course it is not the cheapest logger if you don't have an iphone.

But if you do, what a great idea.

Gary Kent "TMA"

Old September 2nd 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 2, 10:43*am, " wrote:
Give the guy a break.

Of course it is not the cheapest logger if you don't have an iphone.

But if you do, what a great idea.

Gary Kent *"TMA"

i agree. and it would be even cooler if it can get approved as a
position recorder.
Old September 2nd 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Sep 2, 8:34*am, Blake Miller wrote:
On Sep 2, 8:45*am, mattm wrote:

On Sep 2, 8:24*am, Tony wrote:

Thanks for the info - probably the cheapest way of getting an OLC
certified logger.

depends on how you figure the cost. *the app is 10 bucks but the phone
is what? *a couple or three hundred? *won't pretty much any old garmin
handheld make a file that can be converted to igc format? *i just
picked up a flywithCE logger that was $120 and ready for the OLC.

Also another option for the iPhone is to run StyleTap and SoarPilot.
This is more expensive than this app -- I think StyleTap is about $50
--
but it gives you full flight computer abilities. *SoarPilot is still a
going

Meanwhile, good work!

-- Matt

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there is a Droid phone
app called "Gaggle" that is very similarly featured. Its user
developed and is free. I haven't used it soaring but have played with
the app and it really cool. It currently not approved by the .IGC. I
don't know about using it for OLC flights though. There are lots of
Droid phone users out there so it may get popular. When I finish my
Duster I am thinking of purchasing the biggest screen droid phones you
can get and will use this product...at least try it.

Blake- Hide quoted text -

It may be difficult to get approval even for OLC, and I doubt Droid
will spend the effort for IGC approval for less than 1% of users.

When XCSoar was trying to get OLC approval, it was at first denied,
the reason being that they were not giving any more software
approvals. After sometime though, and a petition from XCSoar users,
the approval was given. I would not expect additonal software
approvals.

Mike "0"
Old September 3rd 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sep 3, 12:24*am, Tony wrote:
Thanks for the info - probably the cheapest way of getting an OLC
certified logger.

depends on how you figure the cost. *the app is 10 bucks but the phone
is what? *a couple or three hundred? *won't pretty much any old garmin
handheld make a file that can be converted to igc format? *i just
picked up a flywithCE logger that was $120 and ready for the OLC.

There are very few uses for which it is worth buying an iPhone
specially.

But if you have one anyway, for some high value use (such as maybe
making phone calls) then it turns out there are a heck of a lot of
other things you can also use it for either built-in or with a free or
inexpensive add-on program.

As a trivial example, I use a 99c program any time I put fuel in one
of my vehicles. I *could* keep a $2 notebook in each vehicle (and a
pen!), but the phone is always in my pocket. And the program
calculates statistics and draws pretty graphs too.
Old September 4th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 9/2/2010 1:03 AM, kammeyer wrote:
On Sep 1, 11:59 pm, Mike the wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:58 pm, wrote:

Hi All,

I'm the author of GlidePath. Just to clarify a few things -- we are
OLC approved, although I have gotten a couple of comments about
validation problems, and we'll be releasing a new version shortly that
resolves these issues. I'm hoping to get it approved as an IGC
Position Recorder, which is a new class of loggers that can only be
used for Silver and Gold badges. There are some obstacles for using
this in contests due to the phone's abilities, but I believe that a
technical solution can be found that will be satisfying to the contest
officials for use as a backup logger.

The really nice features of GlidePath a

1. Super easy OLC submission: You just log your flight, and tap a
couple of times, and your flight is on OLC. No hassles with SD cards
and making sure you get everything transferred before the OLC weekly
deadline.
2. Super easy transfer of flights to your computer: Just push a
button and the flight is emailed to yourself or anyone else.
3. Very low cost to start logging your flights, which is especially
useful to newcomers to the sport who may be flying club gliders. They
can start analyzing their flights quickly and easily, and start
participating on OLC even before they start doing real x/c.

Some tips:

1. Turn off Wi-Fi and Cellular Data for the best GPS reception
2. Make sure the phone has a clear view of the sky. It's easy to
accomplish this by either using a cheap suction cup mount or a running
type armband.
3. For long flights, battery life may be a concern. Turning off Wi-Fi
and Cellular Data help a lot, but you may want to consider one of the
available external batteries or plugging into ships power with one of
the car adapters available for the phone. Battery life is also an
area I will be addressing in the next couple of versions.

On Sep 1, 11:30 am, Darryl wrote:

On Sep 1, 9:17 am, Mike the wrote:

On Sep 1, 6:59 am, wrote:

From time to time I check the iPhone app store for soaring apps. I
just came across GlidePath. The developer claims it's OLC compliant. I
havent purchased it yet, but it looks like a good backup for OLC
flying.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glide...83714417?mt=8#

Pete

Interesting App. My concern would be battery life without external
power. I've used a few tracking and logging apps on my iPhone and
find I am limited to a couple of hours before needing a recharge.
Presumably it also won't plot a map without Internet access. Assuming
this is available via 3G, this is currently likely a violation of
contest rules.

Mike

OLC Contest Rules? They don't seem to care about communication
devices.
I suspect it is not aimed at sanctioned contests and would not try to
be an IGC position recorder.

The power consumption is likely to be high. I don't believe it can
rely on the background low-power tracking mode in iOS 4 as that relies
on cell tower switching tricks.

Anybody tried it?

Darryl

Thanks for the info - probably the cheapest way of getting an OLC
certified logger.

Am I correct in my assumption that the mapping feature will work only
with wifi or cellphone access, or does the app have the capability of
storing maps to memory?

Also, I assume it will work on an iPad, which has much better battery
life.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The mapping feature currently uses the iPhone's Google Maps
capability, which downloads the map tiles over the wireless
connection. Therefore, unless you have previously pulled up the Maps
app and viewed the area you will be flying in, you probably (depending
on cell reception) won't be able to view a map in flight. Certainly,
this is an area that I'm looking at for future versions. Currently,
the app is essentially a logger, a log viewer, and an easy way to
email logs, and submit them to OLC. Additionally, it provides a
simple display such as speed, ground track, and distance/bearing to
the takeoff point. It's not yet a replacement for a flight computer
or moving-map GPS. I haven't tested GlidePath on the iPad, but it
should work fine assuming you have the 3G iPad -- the Wi-Fi version
doesn't have a GPS. Also, I love feature requests. Email me if
there's something you'd like to see in an iPhone soaring app!

-Dave

How about an interface to ADS-B transceivers (Navworx and the 1090ES
transceivers on the market) to show other aircraft in your area.

--
Mike Schumann
Old September 4th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 1, 7:58 pm, *wrote:

[...]

On Sep 1, 11:30 am, Darryl *wrote:

On Sep 1, 9:17 am, Mike the *wrote:

On Sep 1, 6:59 am, *wrote:

*From time to time I check the iPhone app store for soaring apps.. I
[...]

Tucson Soaring Club will be flying an iPhone logger this weekend and
we will report back on our experience.

Mike
Old September 5th 10, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Sep 4, 8:24*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Sep 1, 11:30 am, Darryl *wrote:

On Sep 1, 9:17 am, Mike the *wrote:

On Sep 1, 6:59 am, *wrote:

[...]

It works as advertised and uploads to OLC with no hassles.

Mike
Old September 5th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Works awesome!!! What a deal! I use my iPhone 4 for last minute
weather checks on xcskies.com and drjacks when I'm on the grid. Now I
have a backup logger for 10 bucks! Highway Robbery at that price.

I used it this morning with cellular data off and wifi off to log my
morning run. I had 0% circling, 1 glide and a mean L/D of 32.6 (I
stopped the program at the low spot in my neighborhood halfway through
my run to play with it). Then came back in and downloaded it to
SeeYou and watched a sailplane shoot down the streets of my
neighborhood, funny.

Thanks for designing this, I now have a logger when I give rides in
the Blanik L-23 at our club. And also, thanks for giving it away at a
steal of a price.
Old September 20th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Here's a link to a flight I did last week of which I used my iPhone
glidepath logger to record the flight. You can download the .igc file
from the olc to see what you think. I have my recording intervals set
to 5 seconds, but can be changed higher or lower, even 1 second. Best
part of it all was this: when I rolled off to the side of the runway,
before I climbed out of the cockpit, my flight was already posted to
the OLC!

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=1551175

Not bad for only 10 bucks.' this iPhone is a great invention, useful
for so many things.
Old September 20th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0....html?dsId=155....

Not bad for only 10 bucks.' this iPhone is a great invention, useful
for so many things.

It would be really neat if they would combine "Glidepath" with
"SkyCharts"! My iPhone has current charts all the time.
(though they do take some time to update). SkyCharts allows you to
cache some charts, so it works just fine with no cellular service.

iPhone in a glider? Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 39 September 23rd 08 08:22 AM
iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Instrument Flight Rules 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone in the air Ramy Soaring 2 June 3rd 08 12:03 AM
E6B for iPhone? C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 16 September 27th 07 03:54 AM