Name an Aviation Theme Suite -- Win a Prize!

Old January 6th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Name an Aviation Theme Suite -- Win a Prize!

In honor of the craft that first touched down on the moon: The Eagle
Suite.

The "Apollo Suite" is already in the works!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How about "The Proud Mustang Suite"

We've already got a "Mustang Suite", decorated with gobs of stuff from this
group's own Vlado Lenoch!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Richard Riley" wrote

Emerging from Kelly Field, Texas, as a Second Lieutenant, Roddenberry
was sent to the South Pacific where he entered combat at Guadalcanal,
flying B-17 bombers out of the newly-captured Japanese airstrip, which
became Henderson Field. He flew missions against enemy strongholds at
Bougainville and participated in the Munda invasion. In all, he took
part in 89 missions and sorties. He was decorated with the
Distinguished flying Cross and the Air Medal.

Roddenberry later received a Civil Aeronautics
commendation for his efforts during and after the crash."

Also, the man who designed the "Enterprise" itself, Matt Jefferies,
was a pilot based at Santa Paula for many years.

Wow, I am a bit of a Star Trek buff, but I had no idea about all of
Rodenberry's history!

I suppose that the Jefferies tube got it's name from the designer.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 6th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Reno Air Racing Suite? (im sure LOTS of memorabilia there..)

We've already got a "Reno Air Racing Suite"! (It's our smoking-allowed
honeymoon suite, and it's chock full of stuff that RARA gave us when we
attended the race in '04.) See it he
http://alexisparkinn.com/reno_air_race_suite.htm

Air mail?

Given Iowa City's historic place in air mail history (see
http://alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm for the whole story) I
would LOVE to do an Air Mail Suite. Unfortunately, I simply can't make it
sound any more boring. There is simply no non-aviation person who would
EVER book an "Air Mail Suite"....

:-(

Bush Pilot? (again, maybe objectionable to those with sophmoring humor)

Yeah, we've batted that one around. Maybe "Back Country Suite"? All
Beavers on Floats, and lots of Super Cubs on tundra tires? It could be
decorated like a back-woods cabin that might appeal to the non-pilot
crowd...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If nobody's taken it, put me down for the "Unlimited Suite"

Don
Old January 6th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article q3mvf.468633$084.336794@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:

(We were pondering how many children have been conceived in all those hot
tub suites over the last 20 years. I'll bet it's hundreds? Maybe we need
to come up with an "Incubator Suite", or an "Immaculate Conception Suite",
or something???)

A word to the wise: if you ever name it 'Immaculate Reception Suite',
you'll probably get a *lot* of visitors from Oakland and *no* visitors
from Pittsburgh. :-)

For those whom may be unaware of the story behind that one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

-Dan
Old January 6th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, we're now an upstanding establishment, where the sex is

.... in the vertical position?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old January 6th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:52:44 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

: Gene Roddenbery was a heck of a good pilot.
:
:FASCINATING (as Spock would say) story, Richard. Thanks for sharing it.
:
:What was Roddenberry called again? That "Great Bird in the Sky" -- or
:something to that effect?

The Great Bird of the Galaxy.

I was working at Paramount when he died and made the offer for the
missing man. The Star Trek producers said that would be wonderful,
and asked how much it would cost. I told them that's not the way it
works.

The Condor Squadron - T6's - at Van Nuys volunteered, but I thought
Long EZs would be more appropriate. I contacted the Beech dealer at
Van Nuys to see if they'd fly the Starship they had there as the #2.
He refered me to a sales VP at Beech. I explained the situation for
him and asked if they'd join us, since the memorial was about a 3
minute flight away from their base.

He said "Why would we ever do that?"

I tried to explain that a) GB had come up with the name "Starship" and
had graciously allowed Beech to use it and b) there'd be about 20
television crews covering it but he just wouldn't hear of it.

The later Star Trek ships were called "Defiant" and "Voyager." Not an
accident.

Old January 6th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:46:50 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

:First we were going to make Suite 101 the Apollo, but then (as you may
:recall) we had a long-term guest book it for, like, four months. Then,
:when she left, we realized that putting the Apollo Suite directly across the
:hall from the "Stearman Suite" wouldn't work in the hallways, thematically.
:Ya just can't go from the 1930s biplanes to the 1960s lunar module in one
:step.

My dad worked at Rockwell during Apollo. He had a series of very
realistic pictured they did for publicity. One of the best was
looking down past a Stearman as it banked over a Saturn V on the
launch pad.
Old January 6th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

We need something that allows us to do ultralights, without the name.

Affordable Flights Suite ? :^)

I still like the Mile High Suite though, you'll have that one booked
solid with a year's backlog. Especially with the college kids near by.
Heck, you might need a couple more Mile High Suites.

The Monk

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 05 10:33 PM
Aviation Books&CD Roms FS [email protected] Home Built 0 April 10th 05 10:29 PM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM