The Worst Aviation Movie of All Time

Old March 30th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default The Worst Aviation Movie of All Time

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
a small section of the remarkably thin hull. A few sailors reached hands
through the hole, they were grasped by the rescuers as water bubbled up
through the hole, drowning the sailors.

Why is the water rising inside the ship?

Because the air pressure that was holding the water out was released?
Before they cut it, it was acting like a diving bell.

No, I'm not defending the movie, and I don't even remember the scene you
are describing, but when you cut through a hull it's quite possible for
the water level inside to rise because of trapped air leaving.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Every nonzero finite dimensional inner product space has an orthonormal basis.

It makes sense, when you don't think about it.
Old March 30th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

On Mar 29, 7:59 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Because the air pressure that was holding the water out was released?
Before they cut it, it was acting like a diving bell.

No, I'm not defending the movie, and I don't even remember the scene you
are describing, but when you cut through a hull it's quite possible for
the water level inside to rise because of trapped air leaving.

Yes, it's quite possible the inverted ship was acting like a diving
bell and the water level inside the hull was below the water level in
the harbor outside. Opening a hole in the hull would then release air
which had been forcing the interior water level down. But the water
levels would then equalize, the hull would not fill with water and
water would not then flow out of the hole.

Old March 30th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
On Mar 29, 7:59 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
Because the air pressure that was holding the water out was released?
Before they cut it, it was acting like a diving bell.

No, I'm not defending the movie, and I don't even remember the scene you
are describing, but when you cut through a hull it's quite possible for
the water level inside to rise because of trapped air leaving.

Yes, it's quite possible the inverted ship was acting like a diving
bell and the water level inside the hull was below the water level in
the harbor outside. Opening a hole in the hull would then release air
which had been forcing the interior water level down. But the water
levels would then equalize, the hull would not fill with water and
water would not then flow out of the hole.

Ok, I didn't realize that's what you meant happened. That's bad.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
The people here have other bones to pick -- possibly including yours.
Old March 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote :

Yes, it's quite possible the inverted ship was acting like a diving
bell and the water level inside the hull was below the water level in
the harbor outside. Opening a hole in the hull would then release air
which had been forcing the interior water level down. But the water
levels would then equalize, the hull would not fill with water and
water would not then flow out of the hole.

Wasn't the superstructure resting on the bottom, anyway?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 2nd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Mar 28, 7:28 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
We often talk about the BEST aviation movie here, but how 'bout the worst?

I'd put "Pearl Harbor" up against anything for sheer Hollywood stupidity.
Sure, there have been plenty of crappy aviation B-movies made, but P H was
crappiness on a grand scale.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Unquestionably the worst aviation movie ever made. Even worse than
"Top Gun."

Old March 28th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Didn't you like the scene where they were racing a C152 against a dirtbike?
Watch the flaps on the 152. Must be go fast devices for movie airplanes,
they seem to use them more than the rest of us when they want to go really
fast.
Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
We often talk about the BEST aviation movie here, but how 'bout the
worst?

Having spent nearly a year of my life showing aviation movies every
Tuesday night in our theater at the hotel, I am in a somewhat unique
position to comment on this. I've seen over 50 aviation movies in a
row, and can lend some perspective.

Many of the early aviation movies were saddled with the stilted acting
styles that followed the introduction of "talkies" in the 1920s/30s,
so you have to take some of them with a grain of salt.

An example is Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels", which is full of nice
flying scenes and some truly terrible acting. It's like they didn't
know how to write dialogue, yet -- which was okay, cuz the actors
didn't know how to deliver it.

John Wayne. Having seen all of his aviation flicks now, it's easy
to see where John Wayne got his reputation for being one-dimensional.
Every aviation movie he starred in (with the notable exception of the
"Island in the Sky" -- read about it he

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045919/
) has the same plot, and he played the same character. Many are quite
awful, although the WWII flying scenes are often quite good.

But after last night I can honestly say that the award for worst
aviation movie EVER made goes to "Iron Eagle" -- the 1986 movie that
was the Air Forces's quick answer to the success of "Top Gun".

By God, it's awful. The story line (Synopsis: A teenager and a
Colonol steal two F-16s, fly half-way around the world, destroy a
Saddam-look-alike's air force, and then LAND on the runway they just
destroyed to rescue the teenager's father from certain death), the
acting, the flying scenes, the combat scenes (astoundingly bad, with
missiles that fly at light-speed), even the credits are just
TERRIBLE.

This movie should have single-handedly ended Lou Gossetts' career, but
-- inexplicably -- they actually made a SEQUEL to this dog! I will
not see it.

We showed it last night at Movie Night, and the comments ranged from
"Thank God we didn't pay anything to *that*" to "I need another
beer." The scenes where targets on the ground -- like a water tower
on stilts -- blow up with near-nuclear force after just a few machine
gun hits were especially well derided...

Although Move Night is always just an excuse to get together and
hangar fly and fly the Kiwi flight simulator, this was so truly
terrible that it 'bout killed us.

Anyone got any other "nominations" for WORST ever?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 29th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Didn't you like the scene where they were racing a C152 against a dirtbike?
Watch the flaps on the 152. Must be go fast devices for movie airplanes,
they seem to use them more than the rest of us when they want to go really
fast.

Actually, that 152 in the canyon race was the ONLY good part of the
movie -- but we all had a hearty laugh when our hero was coming down
to the wire, straining for every last knot from his mighty 152 -- with
full flaps deployed!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 28th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

We showed it last night at Movie Night, and the comments ranged from
"Thank God we didn't pay anything to *that*" to "I need another
beer." The scenes where targets on the ground -- like a water tower
on stilts -- blow up with near-nuclear force after just a few machine
gun hits were especially well derided...

Was anyone in the audience a 12- or 13-year-old boy with no flying experience?

Old March 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

We showed it last night at Movie Night, and the comments ranged from
"Thank God we didn't pay anything to *that*" to "I need another
beer." The scenes where targets on the ground -- like a water tower
on stilts -- blow up with near-nuclear force after just a few machine
gun hits were especially well derided...

Was anyone in the audience a 12- or 13-year-old boy with no flying
experience?

Nah, too easy

bertie

Old March 28th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
John Wayne. Having seen all of his aviation flicks now, it's easy
to see where John Wayne got his reputation for being one-dimensional.
Every aviation movie he starred in (with the notable exception of the
"Island in the Sky" -- read about it he
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045919/
) has the same plot, and he played the same character. Many are quite
awful, although the WWII flying scenes are often quite good.

Even "Wings of Eagles"? Heretic! Persecute!! Persecute!!