New Book about Amelia Earhart - by glider pilot Kathleen Winters

Old January 10th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default New Book about Amelia Earhart - by glider pilot Kathleen Winters

Fellow glider pilots,

I just finished reading "Amelia Earhart - The Turbulent Life of an American
Icon". I enjoyed it thoroughly! Kathleen did a great job researching the
available information and pulling it all together in an easy to read and
interesting book. I learned a lot about Amelia - about her strengths and
shortcomings. I think Kathleen's analysis of Amelia was very accurate.
Certainly, Amelia was an adventurer. I'm sure all glider pilots feel like
adventurers at some point - especially when heading out on a cross-country
flight. So I could relate, to some extent, to her excitement and
apprehension before big flights, and to her passion for aviation.

It would be easy for pilots today to think that Amelia was a bit "low key"
in regard to some of her pre-flight preparations and radio navigation
knowledge and experience. But it must be remembered that she was a pioneer
and an adventurer - and there were great risks in the great accomplishments
she made and attempted.

For those who did not know Kathleen - she was a glider pilot here in
Minnesota who set many state soaring records in Schweizer 1-26 and Libelle
gliders. Sadly, she passed away in 2010. She will be sorely missed. I
wish Kathleen was here so I could tell her how much I enjoyed the book.
Certainly, Kathleen lives on through her wonderful books.

I think you may also enjoy it. You can see details and order it from
Amazon.com he
http://www.amazon.com/Amelia-Earhart...4624546&sr=8-1

Note: I do not sell the book. I'm just a fan of good aviation books.

Sincerely,

Paul Remde