Curious question to the group.

Old May 25th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
fannum

Default Curious question to the group.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:24:47 GMT, "William R Thompson"
wrote:

"Gene S. Park" wrote:

You may find that it was the Germans who developed rocket assisted take
off especially when it meant getting a fully loaded Me 321s and 323s in the
air.

The Germans developed the first rocket-powered airplanes in 1929.
They were commercially-available gliders with black-powder rockets
for propulsion. See

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo.../Opel-RAK.html

for details.

--Bill Thompson

About the same time, there were also some German rocket powered boat
experiments.

But hundreds of years before, the Chinese built kite like birds
powered by rockets. One Lord, often named as Wan Hu is recorded as
trying to launch himself with rockets with fatal results.

Cheers, Bob

Old May 25th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Well folks..... It's been an interesting series of comments.

The other day I was watching a program on the history channel.

It started off talking about Germanys rocket program and how at the end
of the war a very secret and well protected facility was discovered
where the Germans were working on the V-10. The big rocket that was
supposedly going to make it to New York.

In the process this program also talked about how a female photo
interpretor had discovered the rocket testing facility at
Peenemundie (SP) and how Churchill had ordered one of the largest
bombing raids ever to destroy this facility.

This destruction took over a year to rebuild and by then D-day had
occured and the allies where in Europe.

And the rest as they say is histoy.

Then the program started to discuss Dr. Goddard... the father of
American rocketry and how he toiled for years with no government help
on a budget of under two hundred thousands dollars that came from
friends and interested people who helped finance him.

He had approached the government numerous times but they saw no useful
military applications so they kept turning him away.

It was only when the Americans got involved in the war that they turned
to him for help and one of his contributions was the JATO rocket which
was used on the PBY to help get it airborne while fully loaded.

As a total irony it was discovered after the war the Germany had
received copies of all of Goddard's patents including technical
drawings etc, directly from the US patent office for the princely
sum of ten cents per patent and as a result they new exactly what the
Americans were up to as far as rocket experimentation was concerned
during the thirties right up to and possibly into WWII.

I thought some in the group might be interested in this piece of history
so there you go.
Old May 26th 07, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

You may want to investigate further as it is very likely that they used
steam powered catapults, possible to reduce the chances of starting a fire
on board the passenger ships.

Gene

"John B" wrote in message

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

The "Hurricat" - Hurricane launched by rocket assistance from Merchant
ships as an escort stop gap measure on Atlantic convoys must surely be
one of the earliest uses.

JohnB

Old May 26th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

. ..

"John B" wrote in message

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

The "Hurricat" - Hurricane launched by rocket assistance from Merchant
ships as an escort stop gap measure on Atlantic convoys must surely be
one of the earliest uses.

JohnB

Hurricats were only used on merchantmen - normally tankers - not passenger
ships. They were rocket assisted - see photo at;

http://www.geocities.com/usarmyaviat...jsfspecops.htm

JohnB

Old May 29th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
adelsonsl

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	11894
Old May 29th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
adelsonsl

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-C-130T_Hercules_Blue_Angels.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	11895
Old May 29th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks

adelsonsl said the following on 29/05/07 16:21:

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a B-47 using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

That picture interests me as we saw them all day and every day at Brize
Norton, when we were kids. Some were carried externally but some had
them carried internally. Why apart from developmental reasons ?

--
"Initiative is punishable."
Russian business saying.
Old May 30th 07, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan[_1_]

The Germans experimented with them.
It is my understanding that JATO (or RATO) first used on an Ercoupe.
A picture of it in action was posted on this NG some months ago.
Alan

Old May 30th 07, 08:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks

Alan said the following on 30/05/07 01:46:
"Richard Brooks" wrote
in message ...
That picture interests me as we saw them all day and every day at
Brize Norton, when we were kids. Some were carried externally
but some had them carried internally. Why apart from developmental
reasons ?

The Germans experimented with them.
It is my understanding that JATO (or RATO) first used on an Ercoupe.
A picture of it in action was posted on this NG some months ago.
Alan

Sorry, I meant specifically on the B-47.

Richard.
--
"Initiative is punishable."
Russian business saying.

Curious incident :) Ramapriya Piloting 23 December 22nd 05 08:03 AM
Just curious Ramapriya Piloting 13 January 9th 05 11:34 AM
Nosy, inqiring minds are curious to know... Quebec Tango Soaring 0 April 29th 04 01:56 PM
Not Trivia, Just Curious Mike Jendrzey Soaring 8 January 16th 04 11:46 PM
Might be the wrong group but a question about TERPS Frederick Wilson Home Built 3 October 30th 03 11:51 PM