FLARM-V7-Oudie setup

Old July 7th 13, 06:01 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Default FLARM-V7-Oudie setup

Besides mechanical instruments and radio, right now my glider's setup is:

LXNAV Nano -- LXNAV V7 -- Oudie

I'm wondering if I switch it to:

FLARM Brick -- LXNAV V7 -- Oudie

Does anyone fly with this setup?? I don't have panel room for a dedicated FLARM display...the V7 and Oudie can display FLARM data, is that as useful as the dedicated display? In terms of GPS functionality, would I lose anything going to the FLARM over the Nano? Thanks for any info
Old July 7th 13, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

I fly with this setup, and it seems to work well: FLARM Brick -- LXNAV V7 -- Oudie
I also added a FlarmView display. During alerts, it's the flarmview that gets my visual attention. I am new to the arrangement, but I am not sure I would want to fly without a dedicated Flarm display. Its also much better at displaying traffic that is not a threat. Easier to see than the Oudie trails. Its the first thing I glance at when checking (electronically) for traffic. It also has a loud alarm and bright display.

Matt

BTW, thank you for getting Flarm.

--

dbrunone

Old July 7th 13, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

I have a brick (core) with the V7 and the Oudie. The V7 is configured to give warnings as well as the Oudie. I do have a Butterfly display as well.

The V7 and Oudie will give adequate warning but as Matt said, a dedicated display gives better awareness of other non-threat aircraft.

The PowerFlarm works well as a logger and downloads only take a few seconds to a thumb drive.

I am still getting used to the system but like it better as I use it more.
Old July 8th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:47:11 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
I have a brick (core) with the V7 and the Oudie. The V7 is configured to give warnings as well as the Oudie. I do have a Butterfly display as well.

Does the V7 change automatically to the Flarm display when there is an alert?
Old July 8th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

It is a setting you can configure. Mine is set to get the radar type warning screen that is the same as the other dedicated displays. Mine comes on at exactly the same time as the Butterfly. I have said that my panel lights up like a Christmas Tree when I get a warning. The V7 and the Butterfly both go into radar mode and the Oudie flashes a red warning banner across the top of the screen.
Old July 8th 13, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Startup[_2_]

I use FlarmMouse/V7/Oudie - plug and play, works brilliantly.
I added Flarm LED as I wanted the conflict warning right in front of me
without having to look elsewhere.

Pete

Old July 8th 13, 05:13 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Startup[_2_] View Post
I use FlarmMouse/V7/Oudie - plug and play, works brilliantly.
I added Flarm LED as I wanted the conflict warning right in front of me
without having to look elsewhere.

Pete
Is FlarmMouse a brand new thing?? Looks like Cumulus and Craggy don't have it, where can I buy one and what does it cost? Looks like a perfect way to just swap out the Nano, without dealing with the size of a powerflarm brick with all the antennas and stuff. So you are saying that the V7 and Oudie provide adequate FLARM info on their own?
Old July 8th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The LX Nav flarm mouse is not certified by the FCC/Industry Canada for use in North America, it is (for the time being)a European instrument. So for now, the powerflarm V7 Oudie setup is as good as it gets.

If you put a splitter between the powerflarm and V7, you should also be able to run the butterfly display (or flarmview) in conjunction with the flarm radar on the Oudie.

Dave Springford
www.foxonecorp.com
Old July 8th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Monday, July 8, 2013 1:34:07 PM UTC-6, Dave Springford wrote:
The LX Nav flarm mouse is not certified by the FCC/Industry Canada for use in North America, it is (for the time being)a European instrument. So for now, the powerflarm V7 Oudie setup is as good as it gets.

If you put a splitter between the powerflarm and V7, you should also be able to run the butterfly display (or flarmview) in conjunction with the flarm radar on the Oudie.

Dave Springford

www.foxonecorp.coM

No splitter required, the core (brick) has two outputs (DSub9 and RJ45). One can feed the external display (usually the RJ45) and the other goes to the V7.
Old July 9th 13, 03:32 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Anyone have info on when the FlarmMouse will come to the US?

Multiple Battery Setup JohnDeRosa Soaring 33 February 11th 12 03:12 AM
Multiple Battery Setup JohnDeRosa Soaring 0 February 7th 12 05:01 AM
Vario setup brianDG303 Soaring 1 April 3rd 08 05:20 PM
FS 2004 setup Dave Hetteen Simulators 4 June 25th 04 10:40 PM
WX Works setup Paul Tomblin Piloting 16 December 8th 03 05:23 AM