White LS Sleeves VS Wedekind for ASW 19?

Old May 6th 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

Default White LS Sleeves VS Wedekind for ASW 19?

Has anyone installed white LS sleeves in place of L'Hotellier fittings?

There was a post on RAS awhile back that mentioned the White LS sleeves were superior to the Wedekind sleeves.

I'm looking for the best upgrade to the L'Hotellier fittings so I don't have to mess with the pins.

Nick

Old May 6th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I have had all three types of solutions for L'Hotellier fittings and prefer the Wedekind sleeves the best.

I don't have the answer for an ASW19 but thought you might want to look at this web page for inspiration.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind/

- John
Old May 7th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:38:41 PM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
I have had all three types of solutions for L'Hotellier fittings and prefer the Wedekind sleeves the best.

I don't have the answer for an ASW19 but thought you might want to look at this web page for inspiration.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind/

- John

Some years ago, I installed Wederkind sleeves on my ASW-20 and they were easy to use and performed as intended.

Mike
Old May 7th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Perhaps the sleeves are not "in place of..." but "to secure..." L'Hotellier fittings.
Like John, I've used all three safeties.
Also had an airbrake L'Hotellier fail while inside an LS Sleeve, and it was not noticeable until de-rigging. The cost of that little bugger was quite high, even before the introduction of LS tax.
I found either sleeve better than pins. Believe the LS Sleeve only works on fittings with the ball on the end of a push rod. Does the ASW19 have the ball on top of the rod like the 20?
Does Klaus Wedekind still manufacture and sell the sleeves?
Jim
Old May 7th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/white$20ls$20sleeves/rec.aviation.soaring/0OUqK__QnGQ/7dM6dQf0s1AJ

Chris Klix is out of the White LS sleeves. I'm still not clear if they will work for this application?

Anyone know a source?

Old May 8th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Does the ASW19 have the ball on top of the rod like the 20?"

The 19's that I've looked at are like my 15 - two of each type of coupling inline and 90 degree. One of the 19's at my field uses captive pins (you'll see a picture of them in the original LBA AD about locking the L'Hotelliers along with the Ford type pins, "hairpins," sleeves etc.). I don't mind the plain pins on my 15 because all four connections are right up near the control access hatch and easy to see and reach. In a DG-400/202-17 or ASW-20 I would much rather have Wedekinds if possible. We still have one club glider with L'Hotelliers and it has Wedekinds. Definitely the easiest way of securing the couplings but a bit more involved to install compared to the manual safety pins.
Old May 9th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:40:04 PM UTC-7, Nicholas L wrote:

I'm looking for the best upgrade to the L'Hotellier fittings so I don't have to mess with the pins.

I used home made safety pins in my ASW-19 for years, long before their use was mandated. The only one that is a bit awkward to fit is the elevator and that was made easier by using a small key ring instead of a conventional safety pin.

On derig I would hang the pins on the left ballast valve cable so they were clearly visible in the cockpit.

I never thought the cost and complexity of any other safety device was worth considering.

Andy

Old May 9th 14, 11:11 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Here are the white LS sleeves on my LS1f. They work awesome, they were the first think I changed about the glider after I bought it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1A...it?usp=sharing
Old May 11th 14, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

Where did you buy your White LS sleeves?

How do the White LS sleeves differ from the Uerling sleeves?

Old May 11th 14, 02:39 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas L View Post
Where did you buy your White LS sleeves?

How do the White LS sleeves differ from the Uerling sleeves?
I got mine from Pacific Aerosport. I think they were $35 each, but that was a few years ago. To me, the great advantage of these sleeves is that they dont require modification to the glider, they simply push onto the end of the control connection, takes 2 seconds. I believe the Uerling sleeves need to be "installed". To hook up the controls, you just push the plunger down, make sure the ball is in place, release the plunger, then rotate the sleeve 180 degrees so the ball can never come out of the socket, regardless of plunger position. Works great.

Wedekind Sleeves for GROB ASTIR CS Juliet11[_2_] Soaring 2 April 1st 13 03:39 PM
Wedekind Safety Sleeves ContestID67 Soaring 3 March 5th 07 01:04 PM
Hints on Securing L'Hotellier with Wedekind Sleeves ContestID67 Soaring 0 December 1st 05 09:29 PM
Wedekind Safety Sleeves Huds Soaring 5 May 8th 05 03:07 AM
Source for Wedekind sleeves - AS-W20a Mark Grubb Soaring 7 April 6th 04 08:19 PM