LXNAV with Flarm doesn't work in US

Old April 11th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default LXNAV with Flarm doesn't work in US

Just curious why the integrated Flarm in the LX 90XX series will not work in the United States?
Old April 11th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flarm transceivers operate on a different frequency in Europe, and, even if it can be reprogrammed to operate on US frequency, it does not have the necessary FCC certification.
Old April 11th 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 10:17:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Flarm transceivers operate on a different frequency in Europe, and, even if it can be reprogrammed to operate on US frequency, it does not have the necessary FCC certification.

The LX90X without Flarm series does have a connector on the main cable (binder 5 pin) to connect with a PowerFlarm US with a lx5pf-ca cable.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_accessories.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 11th 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jonathan,

Good question. There are several reasons why "Classic FLARM" units (like
those built-into LXNAV LX80x0 and LX90x0 products) shouldn't be used in the
USA.

- Classic FLARM devices do not have F.C.C. approval (and never will) - so it
is illegal to use them in the USA.
- The Classic FLARM devices use different frequencies than we use in the
USA. The software probably automatically switches to the U.S. FLARM
frequency, but the antenna lengths are not ideal - so range will be
limited - which is bad.
- If I remember correctly, the PowerFLARM units sold in the USA have
slightly modified circuitry to optimize range on the U.S. frequencies -
making them work less well in other countries.

You can connect a U.S. PowerFLARM Core or PowerFLARM Portable to an LX80x0
or LX90x0 unit. I have several cable options available on my LXNAV web
page. I am using a PowerFLARM Core with an LX9000. It works great.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-LX5-PF
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav...NAV-LX5-PFCore

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old April 12th 15, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The short answer is the integral Flarm in all the LX computers does work in the USA. The GPS recognizes your location and sets the Flarm to the correct frequency for North America.

However, as stated above, it is not legal to use them in the US because they are not FCC approved.

Old April 12th 15, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 8:36:02 PM UTC-4, Dave Springford wrote:
However, as stated above, it is not legal to use them in the US
because they are not FCC approved.

And, in USA, they will have greatly reduced range as compared to
performance in Europe or compared to PowerFLARM.

Please do not use the legacy FLARM units in USA.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old April 13th 15, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Thank you all for the information!
Old April 14th 15, 07:36 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Yes I would love to see the FlarmMouse in the USA!!

Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm? Movses Soaring 21 March 16th 15 10:59 PM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 01:31 AM
STOP what you’re doing - It doesn’t work! S639 Eric Greenwell Soaring 0 July 31st 06 05:17 AM
My Boeing 747 doesn't work with coal !!! Tristan Beeline Products 1 June 14th 05 03:30 PM
Undock Window Feature doesn't work Dave Schwartz Simulators 2 January 18th 04 09:51 PM