Curious question to the group.

Old May 25th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Default Curious question to the group.

So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.
Old May 25th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Boomerang

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO

Old May 25th 07, 03:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Boomerang wrote:

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO

Well if your all going to do it the easy way lets add a few things.

In the big WWII who is credited ( I presume ) with inventing the
American version of JATO and name the ( interesting ) plane
that it was used on.

And no.... It was not the Ercoupe that Wikipedia mentions.

Old May 25th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Shiver

Jack G wrote:

I know it was used on PBY's - not sure when the first one was used.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...... One of the pieces of the puzzle rockets into place.
Old May 25th 07, 06:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks

shiver said the following on 25/05/07 02:20:
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

I've seen pictures of a Seafire on a carrier with rockets on.

Richard.

--
"Initiative is punishable."
Russian business saying.
Old May 25th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jack G[_2_]

I found this: http://www.vernonstories.com/02jvb.htm that references
Reaction Motors successfully testing RATO on a Martin PBM in January 1944.

Jack G.

Old May 25th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Gene S. Park

You may find that it was the Germans who developed rocket assisted take off
especially when it meant getting a fully loaded Me 321s and 323s in the air.
The 6 Gnome-Rhone engines were barely capable of getting the Me 323 aloft.
The earlier glider version was given rocket assist to help the tow plane get
it into the air.
All of this was taking place about 1941 and onward during the war. It may be
assumed that this was another piece of German technology picked by US Army
in 1945.
Gene

Old May 25th 07, 09:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John B

"shiver" wrote in message
So.... I'm curious as to how the JATO rockets were developed and where
they were first used.

Looking at those famous pix of a HERC using them for takeoff assistance
made me kinda curious.

Now it is a bit of a trick question.... so have at it.

The "Hurricat" - Hurricane launched by rocket assistance from Merchant ships
as an escort stop gap measure on Atlantic convoys must surely be one of the
earliest uses.

JohnB

Old May 25th 07, 11:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Gene S. Park" wrote:

You may find that it was the Germans who developed rocket assisted take
off
especially when it meant getting a fully loaded Me 321s and 323s in the
air.
The 6 Gnome-Rhone engines were barely capable of getting the Me 323
aloft.
The earlier glider version was given rocket assist to help the tow plane
get
it into the air.
All of this was taking place about 1941 and onward during the war. It may
be
assumed that this was another piece of German technology picked by US Army
in 1945.

Probably, but I don't think we did anything more than experiment with it.

The Germans developed the first rocket-powered airplanes in 1929.
They were commercially-available gliders with black-powder rockets
for propulsion. See

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo.../Opel-RAK.html

for details.

--Bill Thompson

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Opel_RAK1_plane.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	11763

Curious incident :) Ramapriya Piloting 23 December 22nd 05 07:03 AM
Just curious Ramapriya Piloting 13 January 9th 05 10:34 AM
Nosy, inqiring minds are curious to know... Quebec Tango Soaring 0 April 29th 04 01:56 PM
Not Trivia, Just Curious Mike Jendrzey Soaring 8 January 16th 04 10:46 PM
Might be the wrong group but a question about TERPS Frederick Wilson Home Built 3 October 30th 03 10:51 PM