Rotary engines in WW1

Old November 10th 03, 08:01 AM
Stuart Chapman

Default Rotary engines in WW1

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary engines....

Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

Stupot

Old November 11th 03, 04:23 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:01:33 GMT, "Stuart Chapman" wrote:

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary engines....

Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

Stupot

The intake valve was actually located in the top of the piston, this allowed
the fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to enter the cylinder on the "down"
stroke.

Al Minyard
Old November 11th 03, 11:27 PM
JohnF73157

The intake valve was actually located in the top of the piston, this allowed
the fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to enter the cylinder on the "down"
stroke.

Al Minyard

Were rotary engines 2 cycle or 4 cycle?
Old November 13th 03, 03:10 AM
Mike Marron

David Windhorst wrote:

Not to mention 2-cycle racing motorcycles. I have great smell-memories
of attending bike races in my early teens, when the sport was less
stratified, and more grass-roots, run-what-ya-brung. Sitting around an
abandoned quarry turned into a scrambles track, bikes (many converted
from street use) from five or six different displacement classes
screaming around in circles under a cloud of sweet-fragrance blue
smoke...not very environmentally friendly, but a spectacle I'm glad to
have witnessed.

Although I have a 4-stroke behind me when I fly nowadays,
2-strokes have evolved into extraordinarily reliable engines
and I've accumulated more than 1,500 hrs. flying aircraft
equipped with "grassroot" 2-stroke engines. We normally
premix the oil 50:1 (not Castor oil) but except when starting
after a prolonged period of inactivity, they rarely emit the
characteristic blue 2-cycle smoke anymore. Given their
impressive power-to-rate ratio, 2-cycles are ideal for light sport
A/C. For example, in 1993 an intrepid Alaskan pilot flew a 2-stroke
over Mt. McKinley's 20,320 ft. summit, and on Sept. 29, 2000, Czech
pilot Jan Bem set a world altitude record of 26,546 ft. overflying
the peak of Annapurna, Nepal, in the Himalaya Mountains while
flying a 2-stroke powered trike. The U.S. military still uses 2-cycle
engines on numerous different remotely-controlled surveillance
drones.

Old November 13th 03, 04:47 AM
B2431

Just as a matter of curiosity why were rotary engines used?

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old November 13th 03, 05:15 AM
QDurham

Just as a matter of curiosity why were rotary engines used?

Delicious weight/horsepower ratio. Simple, reliable. Being aircooled, perhaps
less liable to gunfire damage. Smooth operating. Available.

There is possibility that there still is a modern engine hidden in the concept.

Quent
Old November 13th 03, 01:22 PM
Robert Inkol

One of the big advantages was that the rotary motion assured a
substantial flow of cooling air across the cylinders and cylinder
heads, even when the aircraft was flying slowly, or the engine was
instlled in a pusher configuration. This was very important since the
engineering knowledge and manufacturing technology available at the
time was not really sufficient to achieve satisfactory air cooling
with static cylinders. Most early attempts at air cooled aircraft
engines with static cylinders had limited success. At best, very rich
fuel-air mixtures had to be used to help with the cooling. In other
cases, such as the disasterous ABC Dragonfly (of which over 10,000
were ordered off the drawing board), the result was an engine that was
completely useless.

Robert
Old November 13th 03, 08:55 PM
David Windhorst

QDurham wrote:

Just as a matter of curiosity why were rotary engines used?

Delicious weight/horsepower ratio. Simple, reliable. Being aircooled, perhaps
less liable to gunfire damage. Smooth operating. Available.

There is possibility that there still is a modern engine hidden in the concept.

Quent

Rotaries got applied to motorcycles a few times, too, both to the rear wheel
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcmuseu...tos/millet.jpg

and the front http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/guggen...ola_engine.jpg

Gyroscopic effect and all that rotating mass reportedly made turning the
latter about like trying to roll an a/c into the rotational direction of
a big cubic-inch aviation powerplant.