OT -- Kill Bill

Old October 15th 03, 10:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Default OT -- Kill Bill

Mary and I went to see this movie last night, based on good initial reviews
and high ticket sales. (Having Uma Thurman in it certainly didn't hurt,
either.

Just wanted to let everyone know, before they spend a nickel in the theater,
that both of us consider "Kill Bill" to be the absolute worst movie we've
ever seen. The "plot" is contrived, the action scenes completely
unrealistic, Tarantino's attempts at "film noire" fail utterly, and it is
chock-full of absolutely gratuitous violence from start to finish. There
isn't five minutes without a limb (or worse) being severed, and blood
spurting everywhere.

Worse, the carnage was completely unrealistic. It's one thing to make a
violent movie -- it's another thing to make a violent movie badly.

We've seen some truly horrible movies in our day, but none that made us want
to run out of the theater as badly as this one.

Let me put it another way: Kill Bill makes Led Zeppelin's awful "The Song
Remains The Same" concert movie seem like a brilliant, break-through film.
And, until now, THAT movie had ranked as our biggest waste of time, ever.

In fact, its ONLY saving grace is that Uma Thurman looks GREAT in tight
leather. (This didn't do it for Mary, however...)

Required Aviation Content: There are several flying scenes in this movie,
depicting a Boeing 747 jetliner in flight over the ocean and coming in to
land in Tokyo. In all my years of movie going, I've never seen a worse,
more amateurish rendition of an aircraft in flight. The old TV series "12
O'Clock High" did a better job, some 35 years ago...

Save your money and go buy the new "Matrix" DVD instead...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 03, 10:28 PM
Icebound

Jay Honeck wrote:
Mary and I went to see this movie last night, based on good initial reviews
and high ticket sales. (Having Uma Thurman in it certainly didn't hurt,
either.

Just wanted to let everyone know, before they spend a nickel in the theater,
that both of us consider "Kill Bill" to be the absolute worst movie we've
ever seen. ...snip...

Save your money and go buy the new "Matrix" DVD instead...

Well, I haven't seen it nor do I intentially intend to, but it looks
like you are in a huge minority:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266697/ratings

.... and the good news is that next year you get to do it all again with
"Volume 2"

Old October 15th 03, 10:34 PM
Mike J. Sanford

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:02:22 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Required Aviation Content: There are several flying scenes in this movie,
depicting a Boeing 747 jetliner in flight over the ocean and coming in to
land in Tokyo. In all my years of movie going, I've never seen a worse,
more amateurish rendition of an aircraft in flight. The old TV series "12
O'Clock High" did a better job, some 35 years ago...

It was my impression that those scenes were intended to have a
somewhat retro look to them; Tarantino wasn't going for realism there.

Mike

Old October 15th 03, 10:53 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" :
Tarantino's attempts at "film noire" fail utterly, and it is
chock-full of absolutely gratuitous violence from start to finish.

Just as a point of comparison, what did you think of his "Pulp Fiction" of a
few years ago?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 16th 03, 12:03 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
We've seen some truly horrible movies in our day, but none that made us

want
to run out of the theater as badly as this one.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)

As Roger Ebert said, "Kevin Smith's movies are either made specifically for
you, or specifically not made for you."

Since I'm not 14, it apparently wasn't made for me.

They were free tickets ...and we still felt taken!

--
Montblack
"I like to watch"

Old October 16th 03, 12:13 AM
Jay Honeck

It was my impression that those scenes were intended to have a
somewhat retro look to them; Tarantino wasn't going for realism there.

A "retro" looking 747 in flight, that we're supposed to take seriously? We
laughed out loud!

I believe that attempt at style falls under the "Nice Try" heading, which is
alphabetically just ahead of "Sucks"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 12:14 AM
Jay Honeck

Just as a point of comparison, what did you think of his "Pulp Fiction" of
few years ago?

I enjoyed it. Mary hated it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 02:56 AM
Jeff

LOL...we went for the same reason a few days ago, initially we didnt want to see
it, but everyone seemed to be ranting that it was a great movie, we left after
45 minutes.

Old October 16th 03, 03:17 AM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Just as a point of comparison, what did you think of his "Pulp

Fiction"
of few years ago?

I enjoyed it. Mary hated it.

Dang. I loved "Pulp Fiction" and was looking forward to his new movie.
Guess I'll wait for the DVD now.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 16th 03, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck

LOL...we went for the same reason a few days ago, initially we didnt want
to see
it, but everyone seemed to be ranting that it was a great movie, we left

after
45 minutes.

Mary wanted to leave, but I kept holding out hope that things would improve.

Bad choice.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA