A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Old September 6th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Bill Gawthrop(F8)

I'll remember this day forever
July 10 2006 Ely Nevada
Were all hanging out and trying for 1000 Km flights. Good weather period.
Bill Gawthrop, Carl Herold and my self are out to breakfast and Bill says he is going to declare a 1000 Km out and return to the Sun Valley Ski Area in Idaho.
Carl says you can't cross the Columbia river basin, it is to far across and too dead due to the low elevation and farm land. Bil with his huge smile says hes going to try in his ASH 26E, which he flew a ton of 1000's and records.
Off we go on one on THE days of that summer. I do a easy 1000 km yoyo and late in the day I raise Bill on the radio. He has made Sun Valley and has recrossed the Columbia River Basin southbound but is low and it does not look good. He ends up starting his engine, gets a thermal and comes home to Ely..
At dinner he had a huge grin as he told us of his exploits of the day. That was Bill; always positive, always REALLY going for it, I looked up to him as the Man out there.
His passing makes me sad, but I'm glad I got to know him and fly with him and learn alot about big time XC in the Great Basin.
My sincere Condolences to his wife Diane and all his friends, which are many.