Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Old September 6th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Bill Gawthrop(F8)

I'll remember this day forever
July 10 2006 Ely Nevada
Were all hanging out and trying for 1000 Km flights. Good weather period.
Bill Gawthrop, Carl Herold and my self are out to breakfast and Bill says he is going to declare a 1000 Km out and return to the Sun Valley Ski Area in Idaho.
Carl says you can't cross the Columbia river basin, it is to far across and too dead due to the low elevation and farm land. Bil with his huge smile says hes going to try in his ASH 26E, which he flew a ton of 1000's and records.
Off we go on one on THE days of that summer. I do a easy 1000 km yoyo and late in the day I raise Bill on the radio. He has made Sun Valley and has recrossed the Columbia River Basin southbound but is low and it does not look good. He ends up starting his engine, gets a thermal and comes home to Ely..
At dinner he had a huge grin as he told us of his exploits of the day. That was Bill; always positive, always REALLY going for it, I looked up to him as the Man out there.
His passing makes me sad, but I'm glad I got to know him and fly with him and learn alot about big time XC in the Great Basin.
My sincere Condolences to his wife Diane and all his friends, which are many.

Bill Gawthrop "F8" Accident - Sun 07/13/2014 - His Status WaltWX[_2_] Soaring 56 August 4th 14 10:35 PM
Bill Dean Luke Roberts Soaring 2 July 20th 07 07:58 AM
Aviation Bill Marc Piloting 12 December 28th 03 03:31 PM
OT -- Kill Bill Jay Honeck Piloting 35 October 18th 03 01:24 PM