Cherokee 180 soft brake - causes?

Old March 1st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cherokee 180 soft brake - causes?

"David Lesher" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" writes:

That's not exactly what could happen in a brake circuit. We are talking
brake circuits not crankcase. Leave oil exposed to the atmosphere and it
does not absorb air.

Nope, just water..... but in any case the key issue is having a
fluid that has very low compressibility even at high temperatures.
(Look at the NOVA series on the 777; the rejected-takeoff test has
the solid carbon rotors glowiing bright orange as the rims melt...now
THAT'S hot....). Even a small amount of suspended air makes it
compressable. And oil, unlike brake fluid, does not err ?stratify?
well.

Automotive brake fluid was, ISTM, the very first federal
automotive safety standard. It must have:

Traditional automotive brake fluid is alcohol based and is hydroscopic. A
can will become useless in a matter of hours if not tightly capped. It is
not oil based.

Ahem.. it's not alcohol-based; it's glycol based. (Except DOT-5 which is
silicon..)

Ahem..glycol is.....well why don't you look it up.

Old March 1st 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Dave Stadt" writes:

Ahem.. it's not alcohol-based; it's glycol based. (Except DOT-5 which is
silicon..)

Ahem..glycol is.....well why don't you look it up.

Could be, I'm no chemist (and got a C in the subject to prove it...).
But everything I've read on it describes it as glycol. The other
one most of us think of is anti-freeze. Time was, that was
alcohol...well, it used to be it evaporated regularly.

To solve that {and corrostion issues...} Ethylene glycol as "permanent
antifreeze" came on the scene in the 1950's/60's. If that's an
alcohol, then I've learned something new. It sure doesn't burn like
one...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 1st 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

David Lesher wrote:
"Dave Stadt" writes:

Ahem.. it's not alcohol-based; it's glycol based. (Except DOT-5 which is
silicon..)

Ahem..glycol is.....well why don't you look it up.

Could be, I'm no chemist (and got a C in the subject to prove it...).
But everything I've read on it describes it as glycol. The other
one most of us think of is anti-freeze. Time was, that was
alcohol...well, it used to be it evaporated regularly.

To solve that {and corrostion issues...} Ethylene glycol as "permanent
antifreeze" came on the scene in the 1950's/60's. If that's an
alcohol, then I've learned something new. It sure doesn't burn like
one...

A hint: glycols are two-valued alcohols (two hydroxyl groups).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi