Oudie 2's needed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 18th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 11:43:02 AM UTC-8, MNLou wrote:
I immediately removed the old PDA from my first glider in 2012, bought an Oudie 2 running SYM, and never looked back.

I don't want to start a "what is the best software / hardware" war but, if someone is trying to standardize across a club, I would argue the Oudie is the only reasonable way to go.

When a promising new XC pilot asks me what flight computer to buy, I immediately tell them an Oudie IGC. Fully integrated flight computer, IGC logger, and long life battery. Plus, it plays nice with all the other glider goodies.

YMMV -

Lou

While Oudie is advertised as an out of the box turn key system...it is not.
One still needs to set up; home field, arrival or required altitude, glider polar, safety margins, airspace, etc, etc, etc,…
Downloading the XCSoar or TopHat ap into an Android phone, plus waypoints, terrain maps, etc, is no brain surgery (but one still has to go through what is required for Oudie above as well). There is usually at least one person in an average club who can guide one through these steps I would think, if not ask your teenage child.
The Android system is far more advanced than the old Windows the Oudie runs on, both the XCSoar and TopHat is far more intuitive and has better simulator too (it actually works), not to mention PRICE!

Oudie IGC Hartley Falbaum[_2_] Soaring 2 December 18th 16 11:25 PM
OUDIE [email protected] Soaring 31 November 5th 16 03:19 PM
Help info needed on oudie n ewmicrorecorder dan nezgoda Soaring 8 November 16th 15 04:09 PM
Needed: Inexpensive AHRS module to work with Oudie, XCsoar, LK8000, etc... kirk.stant Soaring 34 April 30th 15 02:05 AM
Oudie and 302 Stephen[_3_] Soaring 9 November 2nd 11 05:07 AM