My next medical

Old March 30th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My next medical

No, that is one possible reason with a filling, but surgery
and extractions can heal over leaving an abscess and that
could be a very painful problem. When my wisdom teeth were
removed, the roots actually penetrated the sinus cavities.
For several weeks I could have salt water run through from
my mouth to my nose by dipping my head. This was not a
problem flying, it was even more venting. But I would want
to have a flight test before I was the only pilot on the
plane.

Gas would be reabsorbed if enough time passed, but if there
was any gas it would expand during a climb faster than it
would be absorbed, think the bends.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"RomeoMike" wrote in message
|I think you are thinking of trapped gas after fillings are
put in teeth.
| In this case the air can't be readily reabsorbed and
might expand at
| altitude. After an extraction, any "gas" (air) would be
reabsorbed

Old March 30th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

An abscess is one thing, trapped air another. You were referring to the
latter in your first post. Any trapped air from an extraction is going
to be long gone by the time one is fit to fly after multiple extractions
requiring the use of post op pain meds and a recuperation period.
Situation not similar to the bends at all. No gas is coming out of solution.

Old March 30th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

OK, you're right, no possible way tissue can heal over and
create a pocket, trapping air/gas in the jaw. All pilots
should plan on taking their wife and kids [husband or
significant other too] on their first flight as soon as they
feel good a week after the surgery. No need to a "test
flight" to check for any pain in flight.

The bends is gas in solution coming out of the tissue/blood
faster than it can be exhaled. Of course, bacteria in a
closed pocket might be producing gas at a rate that is
absorbed and exhaled , but that evolved gas would expand
with altitude. But you're right, no possible reason to make
a comparison.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old March 30th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
OK, you're right, no possible way tissue can heal over and
create a pocket, trapping air/gas in the jaw.

I know you're trying to be facetious but that is correct...by the time
that wound is healed any gas is gone, not that there really would have
been much gas in there anyway because that hole gets filled in by
clotted blood and fibrin and starts to organize before the gum is healed
shut. Any gas got absorbed. The body just doesn't allow an empty
air-filled space to persist with rare exception.

The bends is gas in solution coming out of the tissue/blood
faster than it can be exhaled.

Certainly not the situation in this scenario.

Of course, bacteria in a
closed pocket might be producing gas at a rate that is
absorbed and exhaled , but that evolved gas would expand
with altitude. But you're right, no possible reason to make
a comparison.

Most infections are not gas producing. The ones that are cause life
threatening illness. You'll be too sick to even think about flying.
Probably if you even have a non-gas-producing infection in a closed
pocket (called an abscess) you will not feel like flying. You would
likely be in pain.
Old March 30th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Correct. My body is some strange sort of science experiment. God only gave
me 3 wisdom teath. Im opting to do all at once because as stated in a
latter post if I did one or two on the first trip, I probably wouldnt return
for the remaining.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with
just
local no gas!

He's only got 3 to remove, not 4...

Old March 31st 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

At least you don't have six fingers or a tail!

Be sure to get some nice head shots, for Halloween picture
postcards.

Ice helps with the swelling and you will need the pain
killers for 2 or 3 days if the teeth are in solid and
require some major work. But it is not as bad as it was
years ago. Modern dentistry is almost painless, as long as
you can't hear the damn drill.

link.net...

Old March 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("John Huthmaker" wrote)
Correct. My body is some strange sort of science experiment. God only
gave me 3 wisdom teath. Im opting to do all at once because as stated in
a latter post if I did one or two on the first trip, I probably wouldnt
return for the remaining.

Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of their
wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).

Montblack
"Is it safe?" :-o

Old March 31st 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of their
wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).

As do I at 52. I was told by a dentist back when I was 17 to have mine
removed... could have had it paid for by CHAMPUS. But did I? Nooooooo..... Now
God only knows what it'd cost. I'm still resisting the urge.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 31st 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I was at work the next day
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
If you do it half the first time, you probably won't do the
second half.

"NW_PILOT" wrote in
message ...
| Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2
removed with just
| local no gas!
|

| "John Huthmaker" wrote in message

link.net...
| So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom
teath extracted (For
| some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant
wait! So do I have to
| put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"?
I will be going
| see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has
never come through
| the
| gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of
course I have no plans
| to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up
medicated. I
| know
| it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for
considering that most
| people have their wisdom teath removed, but
realistically do I need to put

Old April 1st 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I used to do some work with the local oral surgery training program. One
day, I went into their office and they had no patients in the waiting area.
The two chief residents got a curious look and then pulled me into the chair
and yanked all four of mine. Afterwards, they called my wife and told her I
was headed home and to take care of me. The very next day, I took them all
to lunch and ate with them, no problem. It was easy. Total cost, lunch and a
1/2 gal of whiskey!