Rotary engines in WW1

Old November 10th 03, 08:01 AM
Stuart Chapman

Default Rotary engines in WW1

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary engines....

Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

Stupot

Old November 10th 03, 02:31 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , DAN
writes
Stuart Chapman wrote:

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary engines....
Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

Basically correct. The rotary engines had fixed inlets and outlets for
indiction
and exhaust, in front of which the cylinders would scroll.

If you want more info you can look up the most famous of them, the "Gnome-Rhone
Monosoupape".

I've always been fond of that name. Sometimes I chant it to myself.
"Gnome-Rhone Monosoupape', "Gnome-Rhone Monosoupape"

Lovely!

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old November 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:53:43 +0100, DAN wrote:

Basically correct. The rotary engines had fixed inlets and outlets for indiction
and exhaust, in front of which the cylinders would scroll.

My understanding is that this didn't work very well for exhaust--that
the pilot basically lived and breathed in a foggle exhaust fumes and
castor oil droplets.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put CUB in subject line)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old November 10th 03, 04:10 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:58:17 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:53:43 +0100, DAN wrote:

My understanding is that this didn't work very well for exhaust--that
the pilot basically lived and breathed in a foggle exhaust fumes and
castor oil droplets.

On a plus note, it was a rather effective cure for constipation.

greg
--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....
Old November 10th 03, 04:52 PM
QDurham

Cub driver wrote in part:
My understanding is that this didn't work very well for exhaust--that the

pilot basically lived and breathed in a foggle exhaust fumes and castor oil
droplets.

Partially correct. The engines were lubricated with castor oil injected (or
mixed with fuel.) No crankcase to hold oil. I think fuel (+ oil) was admitted
to cylinders via a hollow, non-rotating crankshaft. I've been told the engines
ran flat out almost ll of the time. Don't think thjey had a throttle. Had a
"kill switch" on control stick. Incidentally, these engines had impressive
power-to-weight numbers. Furthermore, essentially nothing reciprocated. Each
piston, for example, traveled in its unique circle -- reciprocated compared to
cylinder, but circled in relation to the world. Very smooth engine.

I've read that at the end of WWI some rotary-powered planes reached 20,000 feet
regularly. At that altitude I bet the pilots were so hypoxic they shot down
their wingmen as often as the enemy.

Quent

Old November 11th 03, 07:29 AM
Stuart Chapman

"QDurham" wrote in message

Furthermore, essentially nothing reciprocated. Each
piston, for example, traveled in its unique circle -- reciprocated

compared to
cylinder, but circled in relation to the world. Very smooth engine.

That's a bit confusing....

If the piston is reciprocating relative to the crankshaft then isn't also
reciprocating relative to the world??

Although I can imagine opposing cylinders being in phase to cancel out
reciprocating forces.

Stupot

Old November 11th 03, 07:36 AM
Stuart Chapman

"DAN" wrote in message
Stuart Chapman wrote:

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary

engines....
Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that

has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the

cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

The rotary engines had fixed ... outlets for ...exhaust, in front of which

the cylinders would scroll.

That's interesting.....I thought it would have been simpler for each
cylinder to have its own exhaust port, controlled by rods riding over cams
on the crankshaft. But maybe this is just introducing too much complexity.

Stupot

Old November 11th 03, 04:23 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:01:33 GMT, "Stuart Chapman" wrote:

The thread above reminded me of a question I have about rotary engines....

Just how was fuel & air admitted into the cylinders?????

The only way I can think of is some sort of central machined plate, that has
holes in the right positions so that when it turns (along with the cylinders
/ propellor) it meets up with inlets (non-rotating) for fuel & air, that
inject into the appropriate cylinder.....

thoughts everyone?

Stupot

The intake valve was actually located in the top of the piston, this allowed
the fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to enter the cylinder on the "down"
stroke.

Al Minyard
Old November 11th 03, 11:27 PM
JohnF73157

The intake valve was actually located in the top of the piston, this allowed
the fuel/air mixture in the crankcase to enter the cylinder on the "down"
stroke.

Al Minyard

Were rotary engines 2 cycle or 4 cycle?