New Duo at Bermuda High Soaring - South Carolina

Old September 29th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Duo at Bermuda High Soaring - South Carolina

Hey guys, just a note that we will be using the 2-33s for the Winch
Week in November. Some of you have been asking if we will be winching
the new Duo. We will not be using the new Duo Discus on the winch. We
are really excited about having a Duo Discus on the field for
instruction, cross country and rides as well. I admit I'm guilty of
trying to get in touch with outstanding cross country pilots and
coercing them to fly dual with me! I took the opportunity to fly with
Doug Jacobs in Elmira at the Sports Class Nationals this past summer
in a Duo. It was one of the most memorable flights I’ve had, poor
weather, quick decisions, low saves, and a landing gear down
announcement at tree top level for a landing that never happened -- we
had to abort and land in the emergency field below. The proceeds for
flying dual with Doug went to support the US Team. If you have the
chance to do it – DO IT! I digress, Bermuda High does indeed have a
new Duo on board, but we will not be using it for winch week - it is a
most wonderful plane. There are 5 owners and 3 of them will hopefully
be at Oktoberfest - Warm Regards, Jayne
Old September 29th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

wrote:

We will not be using the new Duo Discus on the winch.

Why not?
Old September 29th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sep 29, 5:49*pm, wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on the new toy !
If its missing the belly-hook for winching, this can be retrofitted...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old September 30th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 29, 6:42*pm, John Smith wrote:
wrote:
We will not be using the new Duo Discus on the winch.

Why not?

Maybe they don't want to put a bunch of wear & tear on their new toy
doing basic training.
I would do the same thing. 2-33 is just fine for this work. I've done
it in both.
UH
Old September 30th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 30, 3:58*am, John Smith wrote:
wrote:
Maybe they don't want to put a bunch of wear & tear on their new toy
doing basic training.

Many European clubs use their Duo routinely for winching and for basic
training, and I have yet to see one with traces or wear and tear.

Many European clubs don't have 2-33s in addition to a Duo.
Old September 30th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Are there ANY 2-33's in Europe? Any in flying condition and actually
flown in Europe?

Jayne, congratulations on the addition to your fleet!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old September 30th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

But I don't know a UK Club with a Duo (or DG1000) that doesn't also have
other training 2-seaters, such as ASK13.

Old September 30th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Peter Purdie wrote:
But I don't know a UK Club with a Duo (or DG1000) that doesn't also have
other training 2-seaters, such as ASK13.

I do (albeit not in the UK).