Ideal Display Size Survey

Old August 25th 05, 07:13 PM
john smith

Default Ideal Display Size Survey

This survey is a follow-up to Jay's 396 thread.
As Jay pointed out, the display is too small to adequately present all
the information available in a useful format.
So the question is:

"What is the minimum useful display size adequate for a portable GPS
with the features found in the Garmin 396?"

(Please state you answer in L x W or diagonal dimension and comparison
to any present panel mount displays.)
Old August 25th 05, 08:13 PM
Dan Luke

"john smith" wrote:

This survey is a follow-up to Jay's 396 thread.
As Jay pointed out, the display is too small to adequately present all the
information available in a useful format.

No, it isn't. I'm looking at one right now; it is adequate.

So the question is:

"What is the minimum useful display size adequate for a portable GPS with
the features found in the Garmin 396?"

I'd like to see the 396 display 1" larger, W & L.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 25th 05, 11:24 PM
Jay Honeck

"What is the minimum useful display size adequate for a portable GPS with
the features found in the Garmin 396?"

Well, I've got the two biggest portable color GPS screens around in my
plane, with the AvMap on one yoke, and the 2000c on the other.

The AvMap, with its huge screen (over twice the size of a 396) would make an
unbelievably marvelous platform for weather -- and AvMap knows it. I spoke
at length with their reps at OSH, and they were EXTREMELY frustrated that
Garmin had beaten them to the XM weather thing. They had been working on it
for a few years (according to Vern, their head cheese), but the
muckity-mucks upstairs had cut the program off to devote more $$$ to their
marine market -- a segment where they make vastly more $$$ than our puny
little aviation market can provide. (Now, of course, boaters need weather,
too -- but apparently aren't as willing to pay for it.)

The Lowrance unit would be second best, and is about the size that Dan is
advocating (an inch bigger than the current 396) -- but more square-ish. I
don't like the screen resolution of the 2000c as well as the AvMap (it's
about the same as the 396s) -- but it would be okay.

One crucial change that must be made is to put the units in portrait mode,
like the AvMap and (sorta) the 2000c. I want my track "up", which means my
route of flight is "up" -- which means the maximum distance out will be at
the TOP of the screen. On the 396, that's the "short direction" (due to
its landscape-only mode), and (as a result) the weather gets cut off --
nearly in half.

In this, size really matters. To be able to adequately depict your entire
route of flight, in a size that can easily be seen, in a resolution that
allows for great detail, will be the ultimate "Holy Grail" of in-flight
weather depiction As with all first-generation electronics, the Garmin 396
is a compromise, and we can all rest assured that the next generation will
be far better. (And bigger! And cheaper!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 25th 05, 11:24 PM
Morgans

"john smith" wrote

"What is the minimum useful display size adequate for a portable GPS
with the features found in the Garmin 396?"

5" x 7"
Old August 25th 05, 11:27 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, john smith said:
"What is the minimum useful display size adequate for a portable GPS
with the features found in the Garmin 396?"

I'd like to see one with a screen the size of an approach plate, with very
little room around the screen for the buttons. Ideally, it should also
display approach plates.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Using vi is kind of like having sex. The first time to use it, it's kind
Old August 26th 05, 03:10 PM
Matt Barrow

Kinda like this? http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_ls.asp

Old August 26th 05, 03:14 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

The AvMap, with its huge screen (over twice the size of a 396) would make
an unbelievably marvelous platform for weather --

drool.

I want my track "up", which means my route of flight is "up" --

Much is explained. You should seek counseling immediately!

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 26th 05, 04:18 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I want my track "up", which means my
route of flight is "up" -- which means the maximum distance out will be at
the TOP of the screen.

So turn it sideways, Jay.

George Patterson
Old August 26th 05, 05:43 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
I'd like to see one with a screen the size of an approach plate, with very
little room around the screen for the buttons. Ideally, it should also
display approach plates.

Kinda like this? http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_ls.asp

Yeah, but I also would prefer solid state, and I don't want to spend
$3,000 for hardware plus software. What I like about the 396 (and the
thing that Jay uses) is that it's cheap and it doesn't have a hard drive
to fail at high altitude.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"This country has an auto-immune disease. We are attacking ourselves as

KX-155 LEDs Steven Barnes Owning 21 July 11th 13 09:04 AM
A-6 Redar Display? Mike Kanze Naval Aviation 0 September 28th 04 01:34 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
AVSIM 2004 Demographic Survey Tom Allensworth Simulators 0 June 16th 04 03:00 PM
Real World Specs for FS 2004 Paul H. Simulators 16 August 18th 03 09:25 AM