Sectional Usage Poll

Old December 21st 04, 05:49 PM
Ben Smith

North Up.

Old December 21st 04, 06:08 PM
C Kingsbury

b. I have a much easier time deciphering landmarks that way.

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
I have been advised that some people when using a sectional always hold it
with North up even when they are flying South rather than orienting it

along
their flight path. This is an option on moving map GPS systems.

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

TIA

Old December 21st 04, 06:19 PM
ShawnD2112

In the interest of opening my own fuel vessel and passing out the matches,
I'll offer that a book I read addresses this issue specifically from a
gender perspective. The research showed that men will typically orient
north up and do the mental gymnastics in their heads - the male brain is
built such that this is a strength. Women's brains are apparently wired
differently and don't cope with the 3-D spatial analysis as well and so they
will typically orient along the track and turn the map every which way,
keeping the left on the left and so on.

Of course there are always exceptions so you don't all have to individually
respond to say this doesn't apply to you. Funnily enough, I blow the theory
as well by being a male but moving the map. As a student I used to do the
north up routine but I think I didn't get enough testosterone in the womb or
something because I kept getting lost. So an instructor tipped me off to
the "move the map" method. I still get lost, but at least I'm more
definitive about it!!

By the way, the book was called "Why Men Don't Listen and Why Women Can't
Read Maps". A hilarious look at physiological differences between the
genders that really explains a lot. Should be mandatory reading!

Shawn

Old December 21st 04, 06:55 PM
Casey Wilson

Sectional -- North Up
[But when I'm hiking, the topo is oriented track-up]
GPS -- Track Up

Old December 21st 04, 07:42 PM
Hilton

Sectional and GPS: North up

For the pilot who use Track Up, do you turn your approach charts too? I'm
guessing not, but just trying to understand why (or why not).

Hilton

Old December 21st 04, 07:49 PM
Jack Cunniff

North up, on both the chart and the moving-map GPS.

(It's an extremely useful habit, especially paying off when ATC asks where
you are relative to a particular navaid, and you can immediately tell your
relative location, without swiveling your chart around.)

-Jack

Old December 21st 04, 08:01 PM
RobsSanta

Oriented to flight path... my old instructor always said that was the way he
did it during their bombing runs over Germany in the 1940's

Rob