help: kits choice suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd 03, 01:32 AM
Shin Gou

Default help: kits choice suggestions

I expect to get my PPL soon and serioulsy consider to build an
airplane simply because it's cheaper. I naturally come here to sort
for help from you, the veteran builders (both skills and age. I am in
20s and I read the average age of kit plane builders is over 50--this
scares me.) Here are my requirements for the "dream plane" at this
stage:

1. must be easy and fast to build. Builder assist program or fast
build kit will be perfect. Prefer proven designs. Yes, I think I will
get more fun out of flying.

2. must be good IFR platform. I will install IFR panel and get my IFR
training in the aircraft.

3. engine power up to 180 hp. reason: this is the maximum power the
engine can use auto gas (Jabiru 5100) because the places I will likely
fly around unlikely have 100LL fuel supply.

4. must have good performance at high altitude (take-off, climb). I
will very likely from time to time fly in high altitude terrain
(airports or strips often at above 12,000 feet) .

5. must have off-airport t/o and landing capacity, but STOL is not a
must because those places I will likely fly to have wide open fields
just the surface is rough (even barely having grass.)

6. must have acceptable cross country capability, i.e. cruise speed,
range, cabin comfortability etc.

7. load, load, load. I would prefer a 2+2 type aircraft, but 2-seaters
having big load capacity are also perfect since I will probably use
the rear cabin of the 2+2 plane for cargo load most time anyway.

I know it's a long list (how long are yours, just curious?), but as
you've probably read from the list, I have a tight budget and will
probably fly this plane for a long time before I could afford another
kit or new certified one, so I really want to find a good balanced
aircraft. BTW, I won't consider used certified aircrafts because I
just can't fly them in those places. Where will I fly around? You
guess....for sure it's not in this country.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Xin