Insurance renewal shock

Old February 1st 05, 03:01 PM
Maule Driver

Default Insurance renewal shock

My renewal for the Maule went from $1300 to $2000. Same carrier (Global),
same coverage. Broker said that they requested quotes from 6-8 companies -
2 quotes rec'd, this was the lowest.

Ouch!

Old February 1st 05, 03:43 PM
Doug

Try AVEMCO, full coverage on my 1996 Husky is about $1000.

Old February 1st 05, 04:06 PM
George Patterson

Maule Driver wrote:

My renewal for the Maule went from $1300 to $2000. Same carrier (Global),
same coverage. Broker said that they requested quotes from 6-8 companies -
2 quotes rec'd, this was the lowest.

I just got a quote from Travers for $1,446 -- about $200 less than my current
broker quoted me. You might give them a shot. 800-888-9859 or
.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old February 1st 05, 10:02 PM
Maule Driver

Thanks George and Doug. Travers quoted me exactly the same and I'm going
with them. Avemco was over 2,000.

George, you saved me $600 - if we ever meet, I'll buy the first.

There's no apparent rhyme or reason in this business... or the numbers are
so small that no one can get an accurate fix on the real risks.

I still remember a conversation I had with a broker (who dropped the small
stuff 2 years ago) where they were trying to explain why I should renew with
the encumbent insurer despite a $200 rise and the availability of cheaper
insurance. I was listening but ended up laughing in the guy's face. Having
insured gliders for a number of years, I knew insurers would come in and go
out of the market annually. It wouldn't mean a damn thing if I had been
with them 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever years. Heck, no one stayed in the market
more than 2 or 3 anyway. All you can do is shop for price, fly safe, and if
you have a claim - deal with the hand you were dealt. Small is small. It's
like pulling up to Big City FBO. One day you get a red carpet and a guy
with an umbrella. The next you've been moved to the mud and handed a pair
of boots because a flock of G4s flew in.

GA in the US is still the best damn thing in the world.

Old February 2nd 05, 03:03 AM

Carl Orton wrote:
Got my renewal quote from USAIG. Went down $5. Avemco wanted $400

more.

AUA / AIG Vintage Aircraft program. Ours went up $2 from last year.

Old February 2nd 05, 06:29 AM
BTIZ

There has been a rash of Maule accidents lately..
I just heard the story of one new Maule owner, the Insurance required 25 hrs
dual make and model, from a CFI who had 300 hours in tailwheel. Granted it
was the new owners first tailwheel.
I guess the insurance company had gotten burned by a CFI who completed his
initial tail wheel training (10hrs?) on Friday, and then started giving
trail wheel training on Monday, and the CFI ground looped three airplanes
(giving instruction) before the Insurance company caught on.

We pay apx $1300 for a Pawnee 235HP (PA-25-235 (fixed pitch)), club
operation, glider tow, open pilot rules are Pvt Pilot, 500hrs airplane, 100
hrs tail wheel, 10hrs Pawnee. (high performance and tail wheel endorsements
complete) If not, need to be a "named pilot". Granted there is no second pax
seat to insure, but there are those two guys in the glider 150-200ft behind
you. One or two named pilots on the policy has not changed the rates.

BT

Old February 2nd 05, 12:21 PM
Joe Johnson

[...]

You, sir, are an optimist. Refreshing!

Old February 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
Maule Driver

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message
om...

GA in the US is still the best damn thing in the world.

You, sir, are an optimist. Refreshing!

Apparently, I'm not alone!

Old February 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
Maule Driver

No rhyme or reason there, it's nothing but TO, Landings, and with souls on
tow - but a good deal.

"BTIZ"