Looking for an electronic template for an LS7 instrument panel

Old December 9th 15, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

Default Looking for an electronic template for an LS7 instrument panel

Hi all:

I'm getting a new instrument panel for my LS7. Does anyone have a CAD file, PDF file, or similar electronic file for the LS7 panel that they can upload to assist in instrument hole placement?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
Old December 10th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

I expect that the upper part of the LS7 panel is idendical to the LS8 panel so the following link may be a place to start:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/in...t-panel-ls.ppt
Old February 23rd 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

Bumping this topic because I haven't been able to find a usable CAD or other editable electronic template. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Jordan
Old February 23rd 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 11:32:25 AM UTC-8, Gianni Isotope wrote:
Bumping this topic because I haven't been able to find a usable CAD or other editable electronic template. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Jordan

There's a good image (jpg) of an LS7 panel here
http://www.segelflug.de/tests/LS7-WL/LS7-WL.html

Jordan,

If you have basic cad software and you have the dimensions of your current panel you should be able to produce the shape pretty quickly. Hard to advise a path, now knowing what your software capabilities are and how you want to use the electronic template.

Hope it works out well.

Best regards,
7Q
Old February 24th 16, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 12:08:26 PM UTC-5, Gianni Isotope wrote:
Hi all:

I'm getting a new instrument panel for my LS7. Does anyone have a CAD file, PDF file, or similar electronic file for the LS7 panel that they can upload to assist in instrument hole placement?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Both DG and LAK have downloadable files of panels and instruments that enable drag and drop on the panel. Don't know how much different LS7 would be from LS8. Maybe the downloadable file can be redrawn to scale of LS7 panel.
Old February 25th 16, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Crude but effective.
Take your old panel out, go to a CAD and Plotter supplier, Trace the panel on a big sheet of drawing paper. Have them Scan the big sheet of paper as a PDF file. Import the PDF into AutoCad on one layer. Put a layer on top of that and trace over the PDF. There are some commands you can use to turn the individual trace lines into a single line. Delete the .PDF layer. Measure some dimension on the actual panel, then scale your drawn panel up to the correct dimension. You now have an accurate CAD drawing of your panel..

Obviously if someone is paying you to do this, you can't really charge enough to make all this happen. But if you need something to do, go for it.

Yes I did my panel this way. Yes, it worked out great. Was it a cost effective way to do this? No, but screw it I enjoyed the project, and that was the whole point.

SF

Old February 25th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Why not just measure the panel and draw it in CAD? It's not that hard and I just did it for a Nimbus 2 panel.

All I did was find horizontal reference marks on the panel (panel had lips on the left and right) and clamped a ruler across the reference marks. Then I used a square against the horizontal ruler to take vertical readings around the edge of the panel (only one half needed).

These points where then plotted in a free 2D CAD program (LibreCAD) which I joined together using splines and then mirrored the panel half to create the complete panel. I printed the drawing at scale and fitted it against the old panel just to be sure I didn't make any measurement mistakes.

Then I drew and laid out all my instruments in the CAD program to check for clearance and fit, exported the drawing to DXF format (some shops require spines to be reduced to line segments) and off it went to be water jet cut.

Discus B instrument panel template [email protected] Soaring 11 November 5th 17 01:01 AM
PIK-20D Instrument panel Solo Soaring 5 February 15th 09 06:50 PM
3 1/8" instrument template [email protected] Home Built 4 April 15th 06 02:26 AM
Instrument Panel ccwillwerth Home Built 7 February 9th 06 02:15 PM
DG-300 instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 14 January 29th 06 02:48 PM