24 Volt starter for Chevy V8

Old February 20th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

Default 24 Volt starter for Chevy V8

wrote in message
On Jan 14, 8:14 am, larry wrote:
I am entertaining the idea of using an LS3 series Chevy V8 on my
Seawind
project. I would prefer a 24 volt system-battery and starter because
it's a
20 ft. run one way from the battery to the engine. Also I've already
purchased fuel gages/probes and lighting/strobes for 24 volt. Does
anyone
know if there's a 24 volt starter available and ready to bolt on for
this
type of engine? A manufacturer and possibly supplier would be
appreciated.
I know I would need a 24 to12 volt converter to run the electronic
ignition
system and they're easy to find. I'm still a little undecided on what
type
of engine I want, but I need to make up my mind soon.

Larry

If you have the room and can find the appropriate size battery's you
may not need a 24/12 converter. When I converted VW from 6 to12 I
would sometimes wire 2 6 volt batteries in series under the seat. Just
taped 6 volt off the middle for things like wipers that were harder to
swap out with 12V units.

We would also leave the 6V starter and just run 12 volts to it. They
spun a bit faster and lasted just as long as a 6 volt starter on a 6V
system.

Same scheme might work for you as well?
=======================
Leon McAtee

Yah. I come from Northern Minnesota, up north of Bemidji. We
used to regularly put two batteries in for the winter when we used
6 volt systems. That six volt starter would crank right up when you
put 12 volts on it. I would imagine 12 and 24 volts would work the
same. The only time it would be a problem is if you used magnetos
with an impulse coupling. The impulse coupling might drop out
while cranking and give you a spark advance just when you don't
want it!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport PJY