Passed the checkride, now I need a good GPS, and passenger headset

Old July 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
Michelle P

Rented for five years and then bought my own single. Rent a twin when I
feel sadistic.
Michelle

wrote:

i've been flying for about 30 years now and wonder how many folks are
still flying without owning an airplane.

My question is : How many people still fly after five years and
haven't/don't own an airplane?

Dave

Old July 2nd 05, 11:16 PM
Matt Barrow

"Michelle P" wrote in message
link.net...
Rented for five years and then bought my own single. Rent a twin when I
feel sadistic.
Michelle

Ummm, do you mean masochistic?

Old July 2nd 05, 11:32 PM
Blueskies

"Darrell S" wrote in message news:gBAxe.10375$4o.930@fed1read06...
I've flown for almost 50 years and have never owned an airplane. I no longer have a medical so I haven't flown much
lately. Only when I go up with my friend who owns an airplane.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Looks like you 'owned' a B-58 for a time tho'.

;-)

Old July 3rd 05, 05:23 AM
Jay Honeck

Rented for five years and then bought my own single. Rent a twin when I
feel sadistic.
Michelle

Ummm, do you mean masochistic?

Perhaps not...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 3rd 05, 05:28 AM
Jay Honeck

5 years renting and flying. Odds are I won't ever be buying.

Ha! We all thought that, once.

After setting up the baby-sitter, the weather, the mother-in-law, the cars,
and the time off work, only to have the rental plane:

a) Down for a 100-hour inspection
b) Out on a cross-country and hasn't returned on time
c) Out with a guy who needed it for his checkride that was postponed
d) Found with the master switch on...and the FBO's closed

After this happened to us one too many times, Mary turned to me and snapped
"Why don't you buy a plane!"...

It was the fourth happiest day of my life.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 3rd 05, 07:35 PM
Darrell S

Blueskies wrote:
"Darrell S" wrote in message
I've flown for almost 50 years and have never owned an airplane. I
no longer have a medical so I haven't flown much lately. Only when
I go up with my friend who owns an airplane. --

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

Looks like you 'owned' a B-58 for a time tho'.

;-)

Yeah, it was a challenging but fun aircraft (if you had to be a SAC bomber
pilot). I'd applied for the SR-71 out of B-52Hs at Minot, ND, for 5 years.
I heard that the SAC personel guy in charge of manning the 71 was also
manning the B-58. He must have figured I just wanted to go fast, so without
having initially volunteered for the program I got orders to Little Rock
AFB, AR for interview and to see if I'd fit in the capsule. I JUST BARELY
fit. They had a capsule in a hangar they put you in, closed it up, and you
had to be able to turn sideways and get the survival radio out of the
backing behind you. I had my left shoulder jammed into the backrest with my
right shoulder jammed against the closed capsule doors. I grunted and
strained with knuckles bleeding until I finally got the %&^%$()*# radio out.
I'd almost given up. So, later I went to Perrin to fly the T-33 and F-102
to get current again flying with a stick and Delta wing characteristics.
Then to Little Rock for final training in the B-58.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:07 PM
Wizard of Draws

On 7/3/05 12:28 AM, in article KPJxe.126279$xm3.125249@attbi_s21, "Jay
Honeck" spewed:

5 years renting and flying. Odds are I won't ever be buying.

Ha! We all thought that, once.

After setting up the baby-sitter, the weather, the mother-in-law, the cars,
and the time off work, only to have the rental plane:

a) Down for a 100-hour inspection
b) Out on a cross-country and hasn't returned on time
c) Out with a guy who needed it for his checkride that was postponed
d) Found with the master switch on...and the FBO's closed

After this happened to us one too many times, Mary turned to me and snapped
"Why don't you buy a plane!"...

It was the fourth happiest day of my life.

:-)

I only fly as an expensive hobby, not for essential transportation, so if my
regular rental is down or unavailable for any reason, it's merely a
disappointment.

The wife isn't fond of flying much, let alone in small planes. She's flown
with me 3 times in 5 years and I had to practically beg each time. I will
say that now that I have the instrument rating, she's said she feels a bit
safer and might take short trips (~1 hour) to relatively close destinations
like Asheville, NC.

I will agree that I used to think that getting the license itself would
never happen. (And the ST1100 too.) But once the kids were adults and I had
a few extra dollars she didn't argue very much. But when it gets down to it,
she likes boats, not planes, I like planes, not boats. We both like
motorcycles, so we can agree somewhat.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic