The Instrument you can live without

Old October 4th 05, 04:46 PM
Chris W

Default The Instrument you can live without

If you were about to go on an IFR flight, and for some unknown,
hypothetical reason you had to pick one instrument in the standard six
pack that you could not use, which one would it be?

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old October 4th 05, 05:36 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:46:41 -0500, Chris W wrote:

If you were about to go on an IFR flight, and for some unknown,
hypothetical reason you had to pick one instrument in the standard six
pack that you could not use, which one would it be?

DG (i have a compass, and a GPS with HSI yoke mounted).

Airspeed would be my next option. Again, GPS/DME Groundspeed, plus
pitch/power.
Old October 4th 05, 05:45 PM
Steve Foley

I'm going on a flight with a six-pack. My instrument of choice is a bottle
opener.
(Sorry - I couldn't resist)

Old October 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Chris W

Brad Zeigler wrote:

Hobbs meter.

I guess I need to be more specific. If, before an IFR flight, you had
to remove one of the instruments in the image linked below, which one
would it be?

http://www.thewishzone.com/aviation/...nstruments.jpg

Other than a compass, and navaid radios you have no other device to prevent you from impacting the ground unexpectedly. To be even more clear, you don't have a GPS!

Old October 4th 05, 06:50 PM
George Patterson

Chris W wrote:

If you were about to go on an IFR flight, and for some unknown,
hypothetical reason you had to pick one instrument in the standard six
pack that you could not use, which one would it be?

VSI.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 4th 05, 06:51 PM
Chris G.

The AI. In reading the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, it says you can
derive all of the necessary flight information from the other 5 instruments.

Chris G.

Old October 4th 05, 07:02 PM
George Patterson

Chris G. wrote:

The AI. In reading the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, it says you can
derive all of the necessary flight information from the other 5
instruments.

But you can get all of the info provided by the TC or the DG from a single
instrument, and you can get all the info provided by the VSI from two.