Aircraft shipping from Europe

Old April 28th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Aircraft shipping from Europe

I am looking into shipping an Orion kit from Europe to Western Canada in
June or July. If anyone needs to ship (via ocean) from Europe to Western
North America during this time, especially an aircraft, then please contact
me. I need a forty foot container because of the wing and I will not need
more than a third of the container for the entire aircraft. If you want to
consolidate a load or have a load coming already with room to rent, please
contact me.

Old April 29th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ADK" wrote in message news:U0x4g.581$Fg4.73@clgrps12...
If you want to consolidate a load or have a load coming already with room to
rent, please contact me.

You might try posting that at rec.aviation.soaring. There always seems to
be gliders crossing the pond in one direction or another and sharing shipping
containers is not an uncommon subject there.

Vaughn

Old April 30th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

"ADK" wrote:

I am looking into shipping an Orion kit from Europe to Western Canada
in
June or July.

Vaughn Simon suggested:

You might try posting that at rec.aviation.soaring. There always seems to
be gliders crossing the pond in one direction or another and sharing shipping
containers is not an uncommon subject there.

remarked:
you mean they don't fly gliders across the pond?

AFAIK, no one has ever flown a glider accross the Atlantic in either
direction though NASA has flown them most of the way West to
East accross the Pacific from time to time.

This raises the question: What is the longest glider flight on record?

Here I mean in time, that is duration aloft, rather than distance as
the NASA record will be pretty hard for any private owner to beat.

Anything longer than about 14 hours would have to be ridge gliding,
flown pretty far North, or both.

Is there any official body that recognizes such a record?

--

FF

Old April 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

you mean they don't fly gliders across the pond?

Didn't a 747 glider land in the Azores once? )

Rich S.

Old April 30th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

Done on Oahu, Hawaii, back in the very late 60's or early 70's. It
was over 70 hrs., close to 72 hrs. I believe one of the pilots was
Tom Winkler, and I think it was in a SGS 2-32. It was done ridge
flying the windward side of Oahu, the Kokolous range( I could of
spelled that wrong). I believe Duration records were removed shortly
after this, as some tried to stay up longer, and a crash happen with
loss of life. # 711.

Old April 30th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

"Rich S." wrote in message
you mean they don't fly gliders across the pond?

Didn't a 747 glider land in the Azores once? )

Yea, and it was one of those fancy self launching ones! g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 1st 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Gentlemen, Gentlemen. I am looking to ship the aircraft, not glide it
across the Atlantic. I need a sailplane or two going West so I can share a
forty foot container.
It was an Air Transat 767 (I think) and it ran out of fuel because a
mechanic installed the wrong fuel fitting or some such device.
Now back to forty foot container going West.............

Old May 1st 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

Morgans wrote:
"Rich S." wrote in message
you mean they don't fly gliders across the pond?

Didn't a 747 glider land in the Azores once? )

Yea, and it was one of those fancy self launching ones! g

....but it was an Airbus A330 glider, not a soaring elephant.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 1st 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

Martin Gregorie wrote:

...but it was an Airbus A330 glider, not a soaring elephant.

And the difference is....?