ID this plane if you can......

Old September 2nd 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default ID this plane if you can......(new view CRW 0025)

Everyone thinks it's an F4U-4. It probably would have helped if I'd put
these fotos up at the same time that I posted the first one.
The fuselage marking reads VMA-212. If I lighten the engine so it's really
visible the markings on the fuselage disappear.

What you see on the ground next to this aircraft is one of the wings of the
PBM they now have in the restoration hangar.

Right now it's pouring rain here and we are so happy. We've been in a
drought for about eighteen months and every drop of rain is precious. We
went to the beach this morning and the water was crystal clear. It, the
water that is, was about 32.2C or 90F. I'm just hangin' around the house
waiting for the next Blue Angel practice session, Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_0025.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	16700
Old September 2nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default ID this plane if you can......(new view CRW 0026)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_0026.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	16701
Old September 2nd 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Callahan" wrote in message

Everyone thinks it's an F4U-4.

Could be an FG.

Old September 2nd 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

"Tom Callahan" wrote in message

Right now it's pouring rain here and we are so happy. We've been in a
drought for about eighteen months and every drop of rain is precious. We
went to the beach this morning and the water was crystal clear. It, the
water that is, was about 32.2C or 90F. I'm just hangin' around the house
waiting for the next Blue Angel practice session, Tom

I was feeling rather sympathetic for a few moments there until I started to
reminisce about the last time my lens went above f5.6/200 ASA.

Old September 2nd 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Rusty Knuckle

I have sorrow in my heart for those that could not identify this plane as a
Corsair.

Old September 3rd 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ed Regal

Default ID this plane if you can......

If you look at this pic and one of the others showing the rudder panel and
hinge and the wing split flap section (for the gull wing and wing folding)
makes me think it's an F4U Corsair.

Ed

"Tom Callahan" wrote in message
I'll go into the restoration shop on Tuesday to ask what this is. Any one
care to guess what it will be when reassembled?

It's in line to go into the restoration phase. I hope that's a Sealy
Postur-Pedic we see; nothing but the best for our veteran aircraft!!

Tom in Pensacola

Old September 3rd 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Even more frustrating for me is that I have a very hazy memory of a Korean
War vintage restored Corsair in the markings VMA 212. Okay boys and girls
get the electrodes out it's time for my electro shock treatment to jump
start my mental hard drive.

Damn this is very frustrating because the more I think about it this
aircraft, the more I am sure that I have seen it in one piece, but where?

Andrew

Old September 3rd 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Andrew-S" I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com
wrote in :

Even more frustrating for me is that I have a very hazy memory of a
Korean War vintage restored Corsair in the markings VMA 212. Okay
boys and girls get the electrodes out it's time for my electro shock
treatment to jump start my mental hard drive.

Damn this is very frustrating because the more I think about it this
aircraft, the more I am sure that I have seen it in one piece, but
where?

Andrew

From the corrosion showing at the lower part of the inner fuselage
I would vertune to say she sat exposed to rain for a long time.
lots of pooling water..
as well as the rust apparent on the propellor shaft splines.
Old September 3rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Callahan

Default ID this plane if you can...... - 2 attachments (1/2)

This makes it into a real mystery. I'll find out tomorrow morning what the
BUNO is if I can. It will have to be tomorrow 'cause I'm leaving on a trip
Wednesday morning. I doubt if there is anyone in the hangar today, Tom

42...
wrote in :

Even more frustrating for me is that I have a very hazy memory of a
Korean War vintage restored Corsair in the markings VMA 212. Okay

Damn this is very frustrating because the more I think about it this
aircraft, the more I am sure that I have seen it in one piece, but
where?

Andrew

This MAY be Bu# 133704 which was damaged at Mobile while carrying the VMA-
212 logo with the false BU# of 129359.
also carried the #10 as displayed at Mobile.

Hurrican Katrina strikes again.

Old September 3rd 07, 07:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default ID this plane if you can......(new view CRW 0025) - File 1 of 2 - au-1.jpg (0/2)

"Tom Callahan" wrote in
:

Everyone thinks it's an F4U-4. It probably would have helped if I'd
put these fotos up at the same time that I posted the first one.
The fuselage marking reads VMA-212. If I lighten the engine so it's
really visible the markings on the fuselage disappear.

Do believe that this is the Corair that was on display in Mobile
and was one of the planes damaged by Katrina.

Bu# 133704 but was painted as 129359 and carried the buzz number 10
and the VMA-212 ID.