Copyright and Picasa

Old October 20th 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_2_] Canuck[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default Copyright and Picasa

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if I've caused any problems by uploading your images
to my Picasa web album. I've removed everything that isn't my own doing from
Picasa. However, I'm somewhat confused by the copyright issue. When I go to
an album and check the properties for each image, it shows that the images
are protected by copyright and not reusable (regardless of if they are my
own images or someone elses). Can anyone clarify the issue for me?

Thanks,

Nick

Old October 20th 08, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

On 20 Oct 2008, you wrote in alt.binaries.pictures.aviation:

Once images are uploaded on a newsgroup, you are able to put them on a
website as long as credit is shown to the orginial photographer. The
problem usually lies in when you are trying to pass it off as your own
work or if someone downloads and than prints or makes a print for
themselves to sell. As long as you are not making money off the
picture(s) or music etc, than no copyright law has been broken. This
is pretty mcuh the way copyright is handled in Canada any way.

This is not the way US Copyright works.

Even if a photo (or any work) is uploaded to a newsgroup, you are not
automatically granted the right to use it as you choose. Uploading it
does NOT put it in the public domain. There is never a time when it
automatically goes in to public domain until after the copyright expires.
Under current US law, could be 100+ years. (You have the Disney
corporation (among others) to thank for pushing for longer and longer
copyrights.)

Granted, the copyright holder may have a difficult time preventing you
from using it or tracking you down if you do use the photo without
permission, but they have (almost) complete legal control over its use.
The "almost" part refers to gray areas surrounding parody and reviews.

But copyright is WAY to complex to be explained in 2 paragraphs. Check
wikipedia for a better overview and links to more detailed explanation.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old October 20th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_2_] Canuck[_2_] is offline
Banned

mrorwell wrote in message
81...
[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied. I can see that there is a conflict between
US and Canadian law. I'm in Canada. When I uploaded the images to Picasa, I
made sure that all of them were "protected." Any images that were
copyrighted otherwise had watermarks or a copyright note on them. I just
assumed that since they were in the public domain it was OK to post them on
Picasa because Canadian law allows it. Since there seems to be an issue
between different jurisdictions, only my own images are up on Picasa now.

Take care,

Nick

Old October 20th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bill & Ange

Once images are uploaded on a newsgroup, you are able to put them on a
website as long as credit is shown to the orginial photographer. The problem
usually lies in when you are trying to pass it off as your own work or if
someone downloads and than prints or makes a print for themselves to sell.
As long as you are not making money off the picture(s) or music etc, than no
copyright law has been broken. This is pretty mcuh the way copyright is
handled in Canada any way. You can always have a note or disclaimer stating
that if there is a picture from someone who doesn't want it posted on your
site or something along those lines, you will remove it. You would need some
sort of proof for this, as third party situations are bound to arise, friend
of a friend of a friend etc... Depending where you are, try your local
library. There should be something there about copyright in just about every
Country. Also try your provincial offices or try the Feds in Ottawa.
Hope this helps...

-----------------
-----------------
Old October 20th 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

On 20 Oct 2008 18:30:20 GMT, mrorwell mrorwell wrote:

[...]

Then the US have it completely wrong.

What is the difference between people seeing your work on the
newsgroup, and people seeing your work on somebody else's webpage,
with attributions to you?

A statistician took a standard deviation from his normal way home because the mean of the population was after him.

Old October 20th 08, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

Peter Hucker wrote in
:

Then the US have it completely wrong.

The US tied its copyright laws to the Berne Convention in 1989. The
Berne Convention universally protects the rights of the person who
created the work (photo, text or whatever) and is in affect in 164
countries. The Convention is almost 50 pages of legalese and is the
minimum requirement in each of those 164 countries. The Convention
allows individual countries to "tweak" the law to their own standards,
but they can't change the basics. The US, the UK and the EU (among many
others) have done that.

So.... if the US has it wrong and it's based primarily on the Berne
Convention, then 163 other countries probably have it wrong as well.

What is the difference between people seeing your work on the
newsgroup, and people seeing your work on somebody else's webpage,
with attributions to you?

Because maybe the person who OWNS it doesn't want you to have it on your
web page? Besides, there's nothing to say that the person who uploaded
it to the newsgroups holds the copyright. The original copyright holder
may not even know that it's appearing here.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old October 20th 08, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

"Canuck" wrote in
:

Any images that were copyrighted otherwise had watermarks or a copyright

note on them. I just assumed that since they were in the public domain it
was OK to post them on Picasa because Canadian law allows it.

You can't trust that. Copyright under the Berne Convention is automatic.
No registration or copyright notice is required. The only way that a work
is in the public domain is if the copyright holder specifically says that
it is, or it's so old that the copyright has expired. My response to the

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old October 21st 08, 12:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Breckenridge[_3_]

Canuck wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm sorry if I've caused any problems by uploading your
images to my Picasa web album. I've removed everything that isn't my own
doing from Picasa. However, I'm somewhat confused by the copyright
issue. When I go to an album and check the properties for each image, it
shows that the images are protected by copyright and not reusable
(regardless of if they are my own images or someone elses). Can anyone
clarify the issue for me?

Thanks,

Nick

Here are a couple of URLs you might find interesting:

http://www.photoattorney.com/

and a real long one:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=rJHN...nail#PPA113,M1
Old October 21st 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

Joseph Testagrose wrote in
:

See my prior post, I don't need your permission if it qualifies as
fair use (USA) I don't know what other countries policy concerning
fair use are.

Fair Use and parody were two of the reasons I originally said that
copyright was way to complex to explain in two paragraphs.

Regarding your first point... I thought that the copyright had to be
registered before you could sue for damages. If you can't stop someone
from using your unregistered copyright material, what's the use in having a
copyright?

The other points you made in your other post are, of course, completely
valid. But in reality, they are (probably) exceptions in this group and
(probably) not applicable to the types of photos the original poster asked
about. My impression is that most of the photos we see here are modern
(post 3-1-89)

at http://www.TitanNews.com