Yenc

Old May 7th 09, 02:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default Yenc

On Thu, 7 May 2009 02:58:23 -0400, John Crawford wrote
(in article ):

You can still take this Yenc flood and shove it. I sleep very well at
night's looking at
good Jpeg pics on this newsgroup. Give it a try some times

No prob. You don't want to download YENC-encoded files, fine. It's your
system, your newsfeed, your personal requirements. I certainly can't reach
over to your machine and force you to change. (Well, I could, because I know
that your IP is 96.52.176.71, and I know you're running Windows, and I know
you're using MSOE which is a backdoor-infested piece of crap and easily
subverted, but I won't 'cause that would be illegal.)

Just don't try to tell others what they can or can't do. You will be laughed
at, as you have no power to enforce your wishes.

Some of us post using nothing but YENC for several reasons. These would
include efficiency; YENC makes smaller files than other encoding systems.
And, of course, as those who insist on using MSOE and refuse to get hold of
the free or cheap methods of reading YENC files from MSOE like to bitch and
moan about it, every YENC post produces considerable entertainment.

And, again... the 'good Jpeg pics' you like so much are encoded text. _All_
binaries, including all pics, on USENET are encoded text. It's just that MSOE
can read some encoding methods but not others.

Old May 9th 09, 03:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clairbear

"John Crawford" wrote in news:mL_Kl.13267$Rf7.3475
@newsfe21.iad:

Doesnt work to well with Vista

I am using vista on a desk top and a laptop and both have absolutely no
problem with external HDs I prefe Wester digatl drive aqnd they work
perfectly
Old May 9th 09, 04:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sat, 2 May 2009 12:44:00 -0400, John Crawford wrote
(in article ):

Doesnt work to well with Vista

I'm looking right at two machines running Vista (Vista Business on one, Vista
Home Premium on the other) both of which have external drives currently
attached (one each FireWire, plus for the Business machine two USB and for
the HP machine one USB). One (the HP machines) is a Toshiba laptop and one
(the Business machine) is a home-built full-size tower. The tower also has
several internal hard drives: one 500 GB attached to SATA for booting, and
three 750 GB also on SATA in a RAID 5 array.

It would appear that whatever faults Vista may have (and it has many), being
unable to handle multiple hard drives is not among them.

Old May 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:37:00 -0400, Fabio wrote
(in article ):

The problem is not only Yenc! And Yenc is a problem because I do not want to
add a yenc reader on my already overcrowded old PC. But that is my problem.
When somebody floods the group with a lot of pictures in most of the cases
not more than one half of the pieces show on my PC. There are always some
parts missing and it is impossible for me to open the damn things with
whatsoever software. I lose this way many pics and who posted them, for me
to see them, wasted his time. Thanks to Mitch and all those who continue to
post simple Jpg etc. I lost all of Br'er Rabid
o and most of J3
So is up to you.
ciao
Fabio

That's not a YENC problem, that's a multi-part post problem. And the solution
to that is twofold:

1 get a good newsfeed that doesn't drop parts of posts

2 if the poster also posts .PARs, download the .PARs and use them to
reassemble the pix. I _always_ post .PARs when I post multipart files.

"Clairbear" ha scritto nel messaggio
"John Crawford" wrote in news:cZ3Il.65112$LA7.36474
@newsfe20.iad:

Do you have to flood the group with this crap

John yenc is not a problem if you use a news reader like xnews

Old May 9th 09, 04:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:32:24 -0400, Clairbear wrote
(in article ):

"John Crawford" wrote in news:mL_Kl.13267$Rf7.3475
@newsfe21.iad:

Doesnt work to well with Vista

I am using vista on a desk top and a laptop and both have absolutely no
problem with external HDs I prefe Wester digatl drive aqnd they work
perfectly

WDs die easily. I've had multiple WD external drives (from the My Book
series) die over the last six months, while Seagate, Maxtor, and LaCie
drives, all of them older than the WDs, still live. As the WDs die I'm
replacing them with Seagates and LaCies.

Old May 9th 09, 06:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clairbear

hielan' laddie wrote in news:gu46rc2b4
@news3.newsguy.com:

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:32:24 -0400, Clairbear wrote
(in article ):

"John Crawford" wrote in news:mL_Kl.13267$Rf7.3475
@newsfe21.iad:

Doesnt work to well with Vista

I am using vista on a desk top and a laptop and both have absolutely no
problem with external HDs I prefe Wester digatl drive aqnd they work
perfectly

WDs die easily. I've had multiple WD external drives (from the My Book
series) die over the last six months, while Seagate, Maxtor, and LaCie
drives, all of them older than the WDs, still live. As the WDs die I'm
replacing them with Seagates and LaCies.

I have a several WDs with no failures after long term use Maxtors have at
least 10% failure rate The seagate I have run fine after long use. LaCie I
only kno by rep and the are among the best
Old May 10th 09, 07:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Sat, 9 May 2009 11:18:04 -0400, hielan' laddie
wrote:

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:32:24 -0400, Clairbear wrote
(in article ):

"John Crawford" wrote in news:mL_Kl.13267$Rf7.3475
@newsfe21.iad:

Doesnt work to well with Vista

I am using vista on a desk top and a laptop and both have absolutely no
problem with external HDs I prefe Wester digatl drive aqnd they work
perfectly

WDs die easily. I've had multiple WD external drives (from the My Book
series) die over the last six months, while Seagate, Maxtor, and LaCie
drives, all of them older than the WDs, still live. As the WDs die I'm
replacing them with Seagates and LaCies.

I had a WD MyBook external die on me a few months ago, too - the first
hard drive death I've had in twenty years. Internal WDs seem to work
quite happily for me.
Old May 11th 09, 11:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Crawford

I.m not talking about drives, My comment was about Xmail

--
John Crawford

Edmonton Alberta

For every action there is an equal