What to buy at OSH this year?

Old June 29th 05, 03:28 PM
Jay Honeck

Default What to buy at OSH this year?

With OSH 2005 fast approaching, the blood is quickening, and there's a new
spring in my step. The Big One is almost here!

However, as we do every year, we're starting to look at Atlas -- our 1974
Pathfinder -- with a jaundiced eye, looking for deficiencies that need
filling, either in his accoutrements or in our personal comfort. Oshkosh is
*the* place to see/touch/try all of the new stuff on the market, and we're
always looking for ways to keep Atlas new and fresh.

I'm leaning toward a couple of things. First, our old Narco audio panel is
functional, but I've repaired the cracked faceplate three times. Like
clockwork, it cracks again every winter, when the temperatures are 100
degree colder than they are today -- and Narco wants $200 just for a stupid
faceplate! So, an audio panel is on the short "take a look at" list.
Dunno if I can justify it, though. They sure want a lot of money for those
danged things.

Our AvMap IIIC is looking big and clunky next to the sleek new AvMap IV (or
whatever they'll be introducing at the show). We might be looking to pick
up one of those babies.

A GPS/Com to replace our tired but trusty old Com 2 (a Narco 120) would be
an excellent addition to the panel. Again, an awful lot of money to replace
something that's working just fine -- and do we really need a THIRD GPS?
Maybe...

XM/Sirius radio is still at the top of my "must-have" list, but I'm still
stymied by not having a front-seat input jack into my intercom. (I *do*
have a jack for the back seat passengers, but the front seat is served only
by our PS Engineering CD player). I guess I'll have to have that jack
installed, at some ridiculous price, and then be prepared to hunt down
electrical bugs for three months after the installation....

The new blue-tooth wireless headsets should be THE cool thing to see this
year. I'm hoping LightSpeed has something to show us at the show, but I
haven't heard anything from them, yet. Wouldn't it be great to get rid of
all those wires?

What are YOU guys looking for at OSH this year?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 04:37 PM
John T

Jay Honeck wrote:

The new blue-tooth wireless headsets should be THE cool thing to see
this year. I'm hoping LightSpeed has something to show us at the
show, but I haven't heard anything from them, yet. Wouldn't it be
great to get rid of all those wires?

Got any links?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 29th 05, 05:24 PM
John T

home builders staples...rivet squeezer, rivet fan, etc.

Gonna be one of the first people in line at aeromart monday morning...

John

Old June 29th 05, 06:24 PM
RST Engineering

Well (sniff) aluminum faceplates don't crack, and the price for the whole
damned audio panel is just a bit more than the Narco faceplate, but you DO
need to know which end of the soldering iron gets hot {;-)

Jim

Old June 29th 05, 06:56 PM
Paul kgyy

How about a new JPI930, Jay? Replace all those aging engine
instruments... Only $4000 plus $2K for the stc, plus a couple bucks
installation to that low-cost mechanic of yours :-)

http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_930.html

Old June 29th 05, 09:26 PM
Jay Honeck

Or he could just make an alumunim face plate for the Narco.

I thought about that, but the stupid thing is really quite elaborately
designed, between the holes for the push-buttons and the colored "glass" for
the glideslope indicator lights...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 09:28 PM
Jay Honeck

How about a new JPI930, Jay? Replace all those aging engine
instruments... Only $4000 plus $2K for the stc, plus a couple bucks
installation to that low-cost mechanic of yours :-)

http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_930.html

Sweet, isn't it? At last we have something like the home-builders for our
certificated planes!

But can you imagine the install price? And the trouble-shooting
afterwards?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 29th 05, 09:29 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Or he could just make an alumunim face plate for the Narco.

I thought about that, but the stupid thing is really quite elaborately
designed, between the holes for the push-buttons and the colored "glass"
for the glideslope indicator lights...
--

Come on Jay. You did all that redecorating the Inn. I know you can do this.
Think about it . If you do it you can finaly feel really at home here in

Or do you just want a new toy for Atlas?

Gig