cockpit exit assist for older pilots

Old March 12th 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cockpit exit assist for older pilots

What devices and or methods are available to assist older pilots in exiting sailplane cockpits (on the ground)?
Old March 12th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 9:47:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What devices and or methods are available to assist older pilots in exiting sailplane cockpits (on the ground)?

Strength training. Start slow and light. Gains happen at all ages.
Old March 12th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We used a inflatable blader with a hand pump for our late instructor to get out of his mini nimbus. worked well to raise him high enough to get his leg over the rail and almost able to roll out from there.
Old March 12th 18, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not sure if the comment was serious or gently humorous but strength training does make a big difference. The ASW 24 I've owned for 26 years has the deep cockpit characteristic of later (safety) Schleicher designs and it's somewhat more effort to hoist myself up now. If I didn't work out at the gym several times a week or focus on maintaining my weight through diet and running, it would be a real challenge to exit gracefully, especially wearing my parachute, as I always do. OK, maybe it's not so graceful , but I can still do it at age 66. And strength training is one reason why.

Chip Bearden
Old March 12th 18, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ilout_aid-noah
Old March 12th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I wasn't planning to announce the new MKII Glider Egress System until the few remaining technical problems are resolved.

Our system provides vertical assistance for rapid egress, ground or in-flight. We call it the Omni-Upward Cockpit Hoister, or OUCH for short. Using a reliable cluster of four 12 gauge shotgun blanks, We have egressed sand bags with only very minor burn damage and leakage. However, we are experiencing difficulty locating persons willing to test the system. This, in spite of a rather generous two-figure post-launch bonus. Well, we did have one volunteer, an altogether suboptimal tester if you ask me, as he refused to stop screaming and calmly explain what he did wrong to cause his injuries.

A previous idea of using a small compressed air or CO2, with a 90 degree ball valve to inflate a rubberized nylon (or similar) lift bag under the cockpit cushion, was rejected as being either too reliable or boring.
Old March 12th 18, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Try a snake in the cockpit. That would work for me.
ROY
Old March 12th 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 9:47:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What devices and or methods are available to assist older pilots in exiting sailplane cockpits (on the ground)?

Google bath tubs for Seniors and you can get lots of ideas.
2018 Bathtubs For Seniors - 100% Free Walk-In Tub Resource
GB
Old March 12th 18, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You didn't specify whether survival after egress was required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPolRUz3_qo
Old March 12th 18, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

What Gregg said. The problem isn't the glider...

if you have issues or doubts, start with a physical therapist.

Basic fitness is the antidote to middle & old age. It'll improve your flying, too.

Evan Ludeman / T8