PowerMouse vs Power Flarm - Updates by March? hardware/software -ADS-R, TIS-B

Old December 15th 18, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default PowerMouse vs Power Flarm - Updates by March? hardware/software -ADS-R, TIS-B

I hear that PowerMouse will include an ADS-B option and possibly ADS-R / TIS-B (for those of you not in U.S .. these are FAA ground rebroadcasts of ADS-B 1090 packets and transponder only aircraft). No word on whether the PowerFlarm will add this firmware upgrade.

Does anyone know when the PowerMouse will ADS-B becomes available? .... and whether the PowerFlarm core is considering including these features?

Walt Rogers WX
Old December 15th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 3:42:39 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
I hear that PowerMouse will include an ADS-B option and possibly ADS-R / TIS-B (for those of you not in U.S .. these are FAA ground rebroadcasts of ADS-B 1090 packets and transponder only aircraft). No word on whether the PowerFlarm will add this firmware upgrade.

Does anyone know when the PowerMouse will ADS-B becomes available? .... and whether the PowerFlarm core is considering including these features?

Walt Rogers WX

Hi Walt

The LXNav PowerMouse is based on a new generation FLARM chipset. It has an optional ADS-B In feature, built on a new FLARM 1090ES chip that supports ADS-R and hopefully TIS-B (at a protocol level they actually look pretty much the same but I want to see how well things work in reality especially with close traffic alerts).

I hope LXNav and USA dealers are smart enough to only sell the version with ADS-B In option the USA.

There was some hope that PowerFLARM (core and portable) woud add ADS-R and TIS-B support, and I've mentioned that before on r.a.s. Flarm looked at doing this but unfortunately it was not practical. The 1090ES internals of the PowerFLARM and these newer product are significantly different.

Richard from Craggy just posted in another thread on r.a.s.:"The LXNAV PowerMouse has been submitted for FCC USA certified. They are expecting certification in January." So check in with Richard or other LXNav dealer. I have one on order. :-)

ADS-R and TIS-B support really only matters for folks who have 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out or TABS... either of which will trigger the ADS-R and TIS-B ground services for their aircraft. So I hope folks who have PowerFLARM today and want this will upgrade to a PowerMouse and find a great purchaser of their existing PowerFLARM. I'm hoping folks think of supporting junior XC pilots and help those pilots get their hands on PowerFLARM units if they don't already have them.

LX Navigation also has a new FLARM Eagle product coming that uses the same FLARM and 1090ES chipset as the LXNav PowerMouse. I have not heard anything cogent about LX Navigation FCC certification plans for with this product. And that's the hurdle these products have to get over for sale in the USA.

Old December 15th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 9:02:14 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately LXNav does not have near term plans to implement anything beyond what PowerFlarm provides
Old December 15th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:02:14 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

And I want to point out one irony. To emphasize the need to get ADS-B Out sorted out.

Owners will be able to connect up say the PowerMouse GPS via NMEA to a Trig transponder and get the transponder to transmit ADS-B out. But that is SIL=0 (Source Integrity Level), not 2020 Complaint (SIL=3) or even TABS complaint (SIL=1). A SIL=0 GPS source will let other PowerFLARM and PowerMouse users with ADS-B In options see you at long distances (I'm hearing reports of "60 mile" range from some pilots) and let GA folks with portable 1090ES In receivers see you. But you remain invisible to lots of other stuff that ignores low quality GPS source equipped ADS-B targets, including ATC not being able to see your aircraft via ADS-B (they can see you still be SSR when within SSR coverage).... in fact you need full 2020 Compliance/SIL-3 for ATC to see you via ADS-B. Which effectively makes TABS/SIL=1 a lot less interesting than it could be.

SIL=0 is s not high enough quality to make your aircraft a client of the ADS-R or TIS-B services. So even though a PowerMouse is sophisticated enough to decode and use ADS-R and TIS-B and uses it's own GPS to know where it is, you don't really want to use that GPS to power your own ADS-B Out... for that you need a Trig TN-72 or TN70 GPS source (for owners of type certified gliders who want to be fully 2020 ADS-B Out compliant).

Old December 15th 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Daryl,

I'm still a bit confused about SIL=0 , SIL=1 and SIL=3

1) SIL=0 means that it will not trigger the ADS-R or TIS-B. Only FLARM with ADS-B will see these targets. ATC will not

2) SIL=1 (TABs system TN-72 attached to Trig). This will trigger ADS-R and TIS-B ... will ATC controllers also see us?

3) SIL=3 FULL 2020 ADS-B Out compliant.

Did I get this right?

I'm still wondering if option 2) the TABS system will allow us to be seen by ATC and get clearances to transit restricted or CLASS B,C airspace. If not, I'd have to go for the more expensive TN-70 ... full compliant.

Walt Rogers

Old December 15th 18, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Walt

Here I'll have a shot. I worry there will be typos here and I'll need to repost. I renumbered the bullets to match the SIL level to try to avoid confusion.

0) SIL=0 (any old NMEA GPS source driving a TT21 or TT22 transponder) provides the following capabilities for your glider -

(I do not recommended, use one of the other options below instead)

- Has all the standard transponder capabilities, including ATC SSR visibility and PCAS, TCAD and TCAS compatibility
- Is visible to portable 1090ES In traffic displays (e.g. a Stratus or Stratux receiver driving EFB software)
- Is visible to PowerFLARM (with ADS-B In Option)
- Is NOT visible to certificated fixed install 1090ES In traffic displays in GA aircraft and above
- Is NOT visible to UAT In equipped aircraft via ADS-R- no ADS-R rebroadcast by the ground infrastructure to those aircraft
- Is shown as a TIS-B target to TIS-B client aircraft when within SSR coverage
- Does NOT makes your glider a client of ADS-B ground based services so you cannot see other traffic vis ADS-R and TIS-B (and remember PowerFLARM does not display ADS-R or TIS-B anyhow)
- Is *NOT* visible to ATC via ADS-B (ATC can still see you when within SSR coverage)
- Does NOT provide flight privilege in airspace in 14 CFR 91.225 that requires ADS-B Out, remembering gliders already have some exemptions there.

1) SIL=1 (A TN72 GPS driving a Trig TT21 or TT22 transponder) this is the "TABS" install and provides the following capabilities for your glider -

- Has all the standard transponder capabilities, including ATC SSR visibility and PCAS, TCAD and TCAS compatibility
- Is visible to portable 1090ES In traffic displays (e.g. a Stratus or Stratux receiver driving EFB software)
- Is visible to PowerFLARM (with ADS-B In Option)
- Is visible to certificated fixed install 1090ES In traffic displays in GA aircraft and above
- Is visible to UAT In equipped aircraft - via ADS-R rebroadcast by the ground infrastructure to suitably equipped client aircraft
- Is NOT shown as a TIS-B target to client aircraft when within SSR coverage (since the system is using ADS-R to show you as a more precise target to those clients)
- Does (if properly configured) make your glider a client of ADS-B ground based services so you can see other traffic vis ADS-R and TIS-B (but remember PowerFLARM does not display ADS-R or TIS-B traffic)
- Is NOT visible to ATC via ADS-B (ATC can still see you when within SSR coverage)
- Does NOT provide flight privilege in airspace in 14 CFR 91.225 that requires ADS-B Out, remembering gliders already have some exemptions there.

You would only do this install in a type certified glider where the TN70 option was too expensive or the slightly larger GPS case could not fit (I hope folks would work out how to make it fit). Or in type certified or experimental glider if you had a TT21 and did not want to have it upgraded to a TT22. In an experimental glider you can just use a TN72 GPS to do full 2020 Compliance/SIL=3 which you can't do in a type certified glider since the TN72 GPS is not TSO-C145 approved but the TN70 GPS is.

3) SIL=3 (Trig TT22 (not TT21) with either a TN72 GPS in an experimental glider or TN70 GPS in a type certified glider). This is a fully 14 CFR 91.227 2020 ADS-B Out compliant system and provides the following capabilities for your glider -

- Has all the standard transponder capabilities, including ATC SSR visibility and PCAS, TCAD and TCAS compatibility.
- Is visible to portable 1090ES In traffic displays (e.g. a Stratus or Stratux receiver driving EFB software).
- Is visible to PowerFLARM (with ADS-B In Option)
- Is visible to certificated fixed install 1090ES In traffic displays in GA aircraft and above
- Is visible to UAT In equipped aircraft - via ADS-R rebroadcast by the ground infrastructure to suitably equipped client aircraft
- Is NOT shown as a TIS-B target to client aircraft when within SSR coverage (since the system is using ADS-R to show you as a more precise target to those clients)
- Does (if properly configured) make your glider a client of ADS-B ground based services so you can see other traffic vis ADS-R and TIS-B (but remember PowerFLARM cannot display ADS-R or TIS-B traffic).
- Is visible to ATC via ADS-B (including outside of SSR coverage)
- Does provide flight privilege in airspace in 14 CFR 91.225 that requires ADS-B Out, remembering gliders already have some exemptions there.

---

I'm still wondering if ... the TABS system will allow us to be seen by ATC and get clearances to transit restricted or CLASS B,C airspace. If not, I'd have to go for the more expensive TN-70 ... full compliant.

TABS is not 14 CFR 91.227 complaint so does not give you any flight privileges in airspace that requires ADS-B Out in 14 CFR 91.225. So TABS should not ever have been though of as an option there. It's a system really "engineered" (technically and regulation wise) to provide aircraft-aircraft traffic awareness, not ATC surveillance.

And in practice, as far as I am aware (and noted in the lists above) the ATC systems are just not configured to allow ATC to see SIL=1 targets. They only display SIL=3. ATC will still see you via SSR when within SSR coverage. Lack of ATC visibility may make TABS not so appealing for many folks. For others TABS may be a nice easier option to provide visibility to GA aircraft in busy areas (especially where ATC can see you via SSR anyhow) and especially if you are combining with a traffic display that can show you ADS-R and TIS-B traffic.

If 2020 ADS-B Out airspace flight privileges is one of the things you want and you have a type certified glider then a TN70+TT22 is what you should be installing. A few of those install have happened and more are in progress. You or your A&P may want to talk to me before getting started, it's actually pretty easy, I mostly just want to make sure people don't make it more complex than it needs to be.

Are we having fun yet? Remember I'm just reporting how it works, I didn't design the damned thing. :-)

Old December 15th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 3:42:39 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
I hear that PowerMouse will include an ADS-B option and possibly ADS-R / TIS-B (for those of you not in U.S .. these are FAA ground rebroadcasts of ADS-B 1090 packets and transponder only aircraft). No word on whether the PowerFlarm will add this firmware upgrade.

Does anyone know when the PowerMouse will ADS-B becomes available? .... and whether the PowerFlarm core is considering including these features?

Walt Rogers WX

Some clarification (Darryl will correct me if I am wrong: A TT22/TN72 is a certified 2020 installation if you have an experimental category glider, but exactly the same installation in a certified glider is a TABS installation (the only difference is the SIL setting). A peculiar quirk.

On ATC visibility, it may depend on the location. Truckee can see my TABS install, it is an official tower but a contract tower, perhaps with non-standard equipment. Norcal Approach could not tell me if they could see me on ADS-B TABS, as they said they have no way to tell from their display where the information came from.
Old December 15th 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I would rather have a heads up on another aircraft with a circular error
probability of a mile or a half mile than nothing because the GPS
position was not the greatest...

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 15th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

If you fly Experimental in airspace where you're not required to meet FAR 91.227 compliance, why wouldn't you configure your TN72 + TT21 to SIL=3? The only functional difference is that TN72 + TT22 (with SIL=3) puts out a stronger signal.

--------------email from Trig Avionics Sept 2017 posted below------------

Dear son_of_flubber,

Thank you for your enquiry, and for choosing to support Trig. The TT21 is fully certified to the latest ADS-B Out cert TSO C166b – so it can output all the required data. It is true that if you wish to meet ADS-B Out compliance FAR 91.227, you should have a higher power TT22. However, there is no way for the radar to tell if you’re using a TT21 or TT22. Inspection of your aircraft would be the only way to tell. As such I believe a number of experimental pilots have opted to ignore the requirement, but of course I cannot recommend this as it would be in violation of FAR 91.227 – the requirements for 2020 compliance.

The TN72 offers both a SIL =1 output, and also a SIL = 3 output. So this means that you can meet the FAA compliance check using your TN72 plus TT21. https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

-------------------email from Trig posted above ------------------
Old December 15th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 8:49:28 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 3:42:39 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
I hear that PowerMouse will include an ADS-B option and possibly ADS-R / TIS-B (for those of you not in U.S .. these are FAA ground rebroadcasts of ADS-B 1090 packets and transponder only aircraft). No word on whether the PowerFlarm will add this firmware upgrade.

Does anyone know when the PowerMouse will ADS-B becomes available? .... and whether the PowerFlarm core is considering including these features?

Walt Rogers WX

Some clarification (Darryl will correct me if I am wrong: A TT22/TN72 is a certified 2020 installation if you have an experimental category glider, but exactly the same installation in a certified glider is a TABS installation (the only difference is the SIL setting). A peculiar quirk.

Yes that is true. The difference is in the software config done in the Trig transponder when the GPS source is attached. All a requirement of needing a TSO-C145 approved GPS source in a type certified glider (and just to confuse people the TN72 is TSO-C199 approved, but that is a whole different thing). While the experimental/type certified contrast here may be blatantly stupid, it's too bad--we don't' get to set the regulations and policies. The A&P signing off on the ADS-B Out install in a type certified aircraft needs to make sure the install requirement are met and forward an ADS-B install note on a Form 337 to FAA HQ (no that does not make this a "major alteration"). The FAA then knows which type certified aircraft have a 2020 Compliant install and they can compare that to what they see in their ADS-B monitoring. If a type certified glider was found flying around with SIL=3 without the paperwork done or using non-approved equipment the owner/pilot and/or A&P may end up not having a good day. The FAA receives no paperwork for ADS-B Out installs in experimental aircraft, but do something wrong there and oh you may get found out as well. So while none of this is hard once you get your head around a little of the silliness, please be careful to comply with regulations.

And yes folks you are being watched, it's surveillance technology after all.. The FAA can monitors all ADS-B Out transmissions even if not using all of them for ATC. The FAA is sending letters to aircraft owners where they see non-2020 Compliant ADS-B behavior, just letting them know the systems don't comply and expecting a reply from the owners. I've helped with several reply letters. Somebody got one just now for a SIL=0 install. And more interestingly the FAA sends out letters for SIL=1/TABS installs for gliders. The SIL=1 install should be a clue that it's TABS and deliberately being done, but the FAA have no way of knowing so are erring on the side of caution. A nice reply letter just saying the install in not intended to meet 14 CFR 91.227 and not intended to provide flight privileges for 14 CFR 91.225 should be all that is required in those cases.

On ATC visibility, it may depend on the location. Truckee can see my TABS install, it is an official tower but a contract tower, perhaps with non-standard equipment. Norcal Approach could not tell me if they could see me on ADS-B TABS, as they said they have no way to tell from their display where the information came from.

We've had that conversation before. It would be great if you could ask Truckee Tower staff how they are seeing your glider and how they know it's via ADS-B. Your glider will be visible via the ASR radar at Reno airport and they might have a feed from that (but that surprises me a bit). As I offered before I'm happy to talk to them if you give me a contact. Even better lets grab a beer with the tower folks some time after work :-) I know how the NORCAL Fusion system is configured, or was last time I talked to them (that takes that feed from the Reno ASR and provides it to NORCAL ATC controllers) and it only displays SIL=3 traffic *outside* SSR coverage, within SSR coverage it uses SSR data for a target. And yes controllers cannot tell the surveillance source of a target.

Darryl