Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

Old December 29th 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

And nothing beats wool for staying warm.Â* It even keeps you warm when
it's wet.Â* A little tidbit from arctic survival school...

On 12/29/2018 1:38 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I have done only a few flights above 13K' MSL in the east, never higher than that.
In other parts, 13K' MSL is a decent Soaring day.

So, I am NOT an expert!

Yes, metal rudder pedals can suck heat real fast.
Sunlight can help a lot.
Being damp (rigging, damp day, whatever.....) REALLY sucks heat.

I can only go by many years/miles hiking and likely lower flight altitudes for flying.
I will TOTALLY defer to others that think my "great altitude" is sorta the bottom of their "safe altitude".

Gotta think of where you are vs. where info is coming from.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 30th 18, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 10:55:23 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
A cheap voltage converter is likely to be very noisy in the RF
spectrum.Â* I tried one for charging a pda and it continually broke
squelch on my radio.

And, as to the original topic of circulating cockpit air, I don't think
that would be of much use and the air in the cockpit is cold. You feel
warm due to infrared heating from the sun.Â* I've felt quite warm in the
sunlight, seen my breath condense in front of me, and been very cold the
instant I flew under a lennie.

Dan

Many of us use such a 12V-5V converter to power a device, such as a PDA, phone, tablet or e-reader, that serves as a glide computer. Some of those off-the-shelf voltage converters are radio-noisier than others. I chose one that had a reputation for reasonable quietness, and added ferrite rings on the wires on both ends of it. It does not cause any practical problems with my radio reception.

Interesting musings infrared heating by the sun. Yeah the perceived cooling when the sunlight is blocked is very fast.

Old December 30th 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 12/29/2018 2:53 PM:
And nothing beats wool for staying warm.* It even keeps you warm when it's wet.* A
little tidbit from arctic survival school...

Since my down or polyester jacket or snow suit won't be getting wet during a wave
flight, I've gone that route. Don't have anything with wool in it, and thermal
underwear, "street clothes", and an down or polyester snowsuit keep me warm. It
helps a lot that I've fixed all the canopy and vent leaks, and that I usually stop
at 0 deg F on the climb.

--
Eric Greenwell -

Old December 30th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a Gerbing heated suit for motorcycle riding when I lived in
Upstate NY but it's too bulky and a big power hog so it wouldn't work in
the glider.Â* I could use the socks, however, but the boot warmers that I
originally posted are probably better for a still air environment.

Old December 30th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

An alternative to these insoles are heated socks. I bought a pair years ago from a hunting supply catalog. The advantage is that they warm your feet all around up to your ankles rather than grilling just the bottom of your feet. They run on 4.5VDC. I built a 12V-to-4.5V converter using a fast switching power supply with a simple on-off rocker switch for temperature control. Worked well and did not drain the battery too badly.

Uli
'AS'

Uli: if those socks are designed to work with 3 alkaline cells, nominally 4.5V, they probably would be quite happy with 5V too (like fresh alkalines). (Or you can put a regular silicon diode into the supply line to reduce the 5V to about 4.3.) So you can use a cheap 12V to 5V converter (designed for USB jack charging).

Hi Moshe,

... if those socks are designed to work with 3 alkaline cells, nominally 4.5V,...)

That's exactly how they were supposed to be powered. Each sock had a long lead connecting to a small pouch that held three D-cells (remember those? ;-) ). No on-off switch - basically a 'short circuit' through the socks!

USB port? Ha - I built this long before there were USB ports! :-) The fast switching power supply does a good job of regulating the voltage down to 5V and these socks - being a resistive load - seem to be quite happy with that. I have not measured the amps they draw. A 12V-5V cell phone charger may be at it's limit with that type of load.

Uli
'AS'
Old December 30th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 11:53:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:
As we know, flying in wave with the sun shining, much of the cockpit stays reasonably warm, but the feet, down in the shade, get cold.

From this month's Soaring mag, a long article on how cold is perceived and ways to manage it
http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/...management.pdf

Old December 31st 18, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:53:38 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
And nothing beats wool for staying warm.Â* It even keeps you warm when
it's wet.Â* A little tidbit from arctic survival school...

On 12/29/2018 1:38 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I have done only a few flights above 13K' MSL in the east, never higher than that.
In other parts, 13K' MSL is a decent Soaring day.

So, I am NOT an expert!

Yes, metal rudder pedals can suck heat real fast.
Sunlight can help a lot.
Being damp (rigging, damp day, whatever.....) REALLY sucks heat.

I can only go by many years/miles hiking and likely lower flight altitudes for flying.
I will TOTALLY defer to others that think my "great altitude" is sorta the bottom of their "safe altitude".

Gotta think of where you are vs. where info is coming from.

--
Dan, 5J

Actually Dan, while wool is a great material for fabric, in technical uses it has been replaced by new technical fibers and will not absorb any water. I basically flying sailing clothes. Including wave flights in by leather sailing boots.
Old December 31st 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Maybe things have changed (I don't doubt that newer fibers may be as
good as wool), but we were taught that leather was a terrible
insulator.Â* Maybe there's something inside your leather sailing boots
which insulates?

Old January 1st 19, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 8:34:54 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

I know, leather seems terrible but hey, Yeti and cows do just fine. Link below, but I have put wet feet and socks in these boots and came off my watch with dry feet, winter. https://www.dubarry.us/ultima-leather-sailing-boots
These boots are from Ireland, two things they know are drinking and staying dry/warm.
Old March 19th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Today (March 19, 2019), ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator price reduced on Amazon to $14.35 (medium size). Just have ordered a pair.

Warm Feet??? Randy[_2_] Soaring 11 March 3rd 08 07:50 PM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-BTRS Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 December 22nd 06 06:18 PM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-???? Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 December 22nd 06 06:18 PM
Happiness is a warm ipod Ron Garret Piloting 6 December 5th 05 01:11 AM
Warm spot for IFR finish-up Dave Reinhart Instrument Flight Rules 9 September 17th 05 01:37 PM